Going to try my hand at speakers and a power amp. I have some questions.
Jan 5, 2008 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

mminutel

500+ Head-Fier
I have spent a few hours searching the forums, but the results are broad and limited on this subject. I don't know where else to turn to though. Whenever I get tired of headphones, I switch over to my RCA Stereo Receiver which, needless to say, sounds pretty lousy. As a side hobby, I like wood working. My grandfather really likes woodworking as well so around half the reason I want to build them is to spend the time with him before I leave. For my first build, I do not want anything very fancy or expensive. They will only be used at reasonable listening levels in a fairly small room. I will be taking them to college so think about a 2 person dorm suite sized room. They will be to the right and left of my computer monitor so them being able to fill the room isn't really a necessity either, but it would be nice.

I have been looking at these: Speaker Building Project at Parts Express

They seem fairly easy, but they look like a descent introduction into this type of stuff. They feature this 8 ohm woofer. Here are the power specs: 30 watts RMS/45 watts max. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...=7768&CATID=49

The crossover uses three inductors. That is my first question. I found the inductors on Parts Express, but they are around 10$+ for each one. That seems pretty expensive. They are supposed to be 18AWG air core. I need 1.5mH, .33mH, and 4mH. I don't know what to search for when I look through Mouser or Digikey. Can anyone help me out with that? Also, will the resistor and capacitor quality really matter much in the crossover in terms of sound quality?

My grandfather is partial to using either Black Cherry or some type of Walnut. Is MDF used for its acoustic characteristics, or can we use any type of 3/4" wood. He already has a lot of it laying around.

Now, I need an amp. I have been looking at the amps from 41hz. The only problem with that is I will need to wait a month to order from them. I would prefer not to wait that long. The reason being, I won't get a Paypal account until I turn 18. I know that the AMP5 would be the better option, but it is a little over budget considering I have to add a transformer. Will the AMP6 be able to drive two of these speakers to reasonable volume? If not, what are some other choices on amps?

As for the volume pot, I can just splice it in between the input jacks and the input pads on the circuit board, correct?

I will edit my post as I have more questions. Your help is greatly appreciated. I have been reading whatever I can find on this subject, but if anyone can help point me in the right direction, I would be much obliged.

Jan 5, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #2 of 17
Have you considered maybe doing one of the full range driver speakers from planet 10 audio? Here That uses the Fostex FE127E driver, which is fairly priced. This also eliminates the need for a crossover. These also don't need much power because of the driver's efficiency.

Also, you don't need to be 18 to get a PayPal account, just hook it up with your bank account.

Jan 5, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #4 of 17
Wow. There is so much to read on diyaudio. It doesn't seem very structured to me. I guess I will get used to it. I now know what I am doing tonight.

I know I can get a Paypal account right now. I just don't want to have to change my stuff when I switch banks in a month. If it comes down to that, I can. It isn't a big deal.

I cannot find the exact Full Range that you stated went into that build, but I found a thread stating a pair of bookshelves that utilized them came to around $300. That is a little pricey for me. I just want something descent for the 4 years I am in college. Then, once I enter the workforce, I will work on building the high end stuff. I am going to get a descent pair of headphones before I go off as well. Those are what will get the most use. Like I said, they don't have to be anything spectacular. I just need something a step up from my current receiver that isn't as bulky to save on desk space.

Jan 5, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #7 of 17
Thanks for the links.

amb: Is it typical to pay that much for inductors? The original designer said that a pair could be built for under $100. He didn't specify where he obtained the inductors though. It just seems that $10-$20 for each inductor is overkill. Especially when I need 6. At least that is the price I am seeing on Parts Express. I will shop around.

I do not want to buy speakers, even if I can get a better pair for the money I am spending on a DIY set. I want to restate that the project is what I am interested in here.

I listen almost exclusively through headphones. That is where I am worried about spending my money. However, there are occasions that I get fatigued and want to listen through speakers. I just want to build something fairly cheap that will outperform my RCA CDP/Stereo Receiver.

I am sorry if any of this is making me sound like I am not appreciating the help; I truly am. The simple fact of the matter is that I am not out for the best speakers. The project is what is important to me.

Jan 5, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #8 of 17
May I suggest a set of Pi One speakers. Wayne will give you the plans for free with the asking and he will also sell you the driver kit as well. Here is his forum. Looks like his speaker business website just got hijacked by someone, but he will have that fixed in no time.

Pi Speakers Forum

I would recommend not using a bank account with your Paypal account. Paypal can access your account at any time, including to withdraw funds for chargebacks, etc without your consent. I've heard to many horror stories about this happening. With a credit card you have a little bit of backing should you have problems with a transaction.

Jan 5, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #9 of 17
Air core inductors of heavy gauge wire are typically not cheap, especially for the higher inductances. This is partly due to the amount of copper necessary, partly for the work required to wind them (they are usually made in specialty shops by hand), and the fact that these parts are basically used only in DIY speakers, a niche market.

Jan 5, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #10 of 17
You asked about the material (MDF vs hardwood). As you'll undoubtedly read, MDF is chosen for its acoustic properties, so use MDF. You can paint or veneer the boxes after to make them look nice.

Jan 5, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #11 of 17
You can wind your own inductors. MDF is used for its acustic properties, it's very dense and has no grain and so damps vibrations. A better matirial than MDF is concerete if you figure out how to make the molds. IF you want to make the speakers look nice you venere the MDF.

Jan 5, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #12 of 17
Have you seen the swifty kits from madisound? Here!

You can get the 4 drivers and 2 fully assembled crossovers for 120$ Binding posts, dampening material and shipping might bring that up to 150$. If you already have the mdf then great, if not, it's not that expensive either.
The crossovers might seem expensive but being completely assembled and professionaly designed(they use some sort of computer program for it) sound like a great deal! I'll be ordering this kit sometime soon to make a pair of speakers for my brother.
I've never heard them but will probably sound great under 200$
ps: madisound claims that these drivers have been used in speakers selling for over 1000$ so they shouldn't be bad!

As for the amp, have you considered a gainclone? Twistedpearaudio sell a kit with the amp modules and power supply module for just under 130$ Add an enclosure, transformer and pot, and other bits and bobs it should come quite close to 200$. From what I've read and heard for myself, gainclones sound quite a bit better than trypaths class t amps!

so for about 400 you have a great sounding system!!

Jan 5, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #13 of 17
or you could buy one of the many Pre packaged amplifiers on a chip for cheap high performance amplification. I use a 30 year old one as my power amp for my speakers and it works fine, I imagian the moden ones are even better.

Jan 5, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #14 of 17
I might check into that. The only thing I worry about is building a suitable enclosure. I assumed you just built a box and threw the woofer and tweeter in there, but you have to tune the box for them and such.

I have been browsing DIYAudio, and most people recommend these for budget speakers. They are pretty small, but it will allow me to get a descent 5.1 setup if I ever go that route. Zaph|Audio - 4" Bargain Mini

Jan 6, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mminutel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might check into that. The only thing I worry about is building a suitable enclosure. I assumed you just built a box and threw the woofer and tweeter in there, but you have to tune the box for them and such.

I have been browsing DIYAudio, and most people recommend these for budget speakers. They are pretty small, but it will allow me to get a descent 5.1 setup if I ever go that route. Zaph|Audio - 4" Bargain Mini

THe price of the drivers includes the schematic/plan of the enclosure to build the speakers. They have tested the enclosure, crossovers and drivers all together using LEAP software and long listening sessions.

ps: I am not related to madisound in any way. I just think its a great package for the money!

kipman725:

The twistedpearaudio.com kit I was talking about is a chipamp amplifier built around a monolitic IC amplifier. IMO it will blow away any Tripath Class-T amplifier. Compare the specs of each and read around of opinions and you see. I've listened to both and the gainclone was the winner!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back