Going from ER-6i to HF2/3/5?
Nov 6, 2011 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

buffpants24

100+ Head-Fier
I've been using my ER-6i IEMs for a while now, & now I'm looking to replace them. I combed through the reviews, & it looks like the HF2/3/5 IEMs might be the way to go. Has anyone here heard both? How do they compare?

Thanks

Nov 6, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #2 of 8
replace as in broken or looking for an upgrade? etys have a particular characteristic; analytical. maybe something on the warm resonant side would be to your liking along with a wider soundstage.

Nov 6, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #3 of 8
I prefer true sound over warm sound. My ER-6i's aren't broken or anything, I'm just looking for something new and wondering how the HF2/3/5s stack up against them.

Thanks

Nov 6, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #4 of 8
the hf5 have a slightly better reach into low frequency. isolation is about the same. physically the cables and strain relief is better on the newer models. i remember wearing the 6 after using a low end sennheiser, i thought they were beautiful; bright and clear not harsh. i'd like to tell you it's a massive step up, i don't believe it is.

Nov 6, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #5 of 8
The HF5(highely recommded)has same Etymotic soundsignature but it's more detailed in mids n highs with more bass(quantity) than ER6i. HF5 has crisp, clear extended highs and very detailed mids with deep bass. The RE272(highely recomended)are also clear upgrade over ER6i and share same soundsignature but much more detailed extendes highs, highely detailed mids and deep bass with great imaging and instrument separation.

Nov 6, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #7 of 8
yeah, they are good aren't they. i'm still looking for looking for iems that get close to full size. stax used to make a portable that took batteries. i'm waiting for a stax update; new model. i'm still looking; today i bought some brookstone ( http://www.head-fi.org/t/570367/review-sub-100-dual-driver-sonocore-cindy-brookstone-clear-dual-drive#post_7732948 ) that ClieOS reviewed. the tf10s do "some" of the koss, they seem to lack midrange warmth. there are times i just want to chuck the iems in the trash and go full size but they wont give me the isolation. price seems right on the brookstone duals and if you order in the store you get free shipping. i should have them within the week.

Nov 6, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #8 of 8
I realize that I'll probably never find IEMs that have a big, open sound (without spending thousands of dollars), but I'll be happy with some that have similar frequency response to the KSC75s. Now I'm not sure if I should get more IEMs or just hang on to my ER-6i's and look for some nice full-sized cans. Decisions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back