Going Back To Saturn!
Apr 27, 2006 at 7:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

seeberg

Headphoneus Supremus
...And it's only costing me $35 to start my trip!

wink.gif

saturn8cd.jpg

I had one of these bad boys long, long ago, in the days of yore... Anyway, it was 1998. The first one I bought for $50 didn't even have a dang controller, but I had one thing only a few people could dream of at the time, and it was the only game I had for the console: Panzer Dragoon Saga. That game was worth a grip of cash when I foolishly sold it for $25 without any knowledge that it was far more valuable, but enough of that!

I bought this bundle on eBay for $35 shipped, and it didn't even list that it came with Virtua Fighter 2, as you can see. It was just in there, waiting for me to play it or something. The tiny pic that it had in the auction showed that it had a 3D analog stick controller with it, but it didn't ship with the system. I'm not bummed though, having a free game was certainly better than nothing.

I already have a modchip on the way for it, so I can enjoy all the games I never had the opportunity to previously(BTW, the only people making money on all the rare Saturn games out there are bloodthirsty eBayers, I haven't seen Sega make one red cent since they discontinued the system in Japan). Beyond this, I am also going to get myself an Action Replay 4-in-1 Plus cartrige, which will allow for memory backup, cheating (I don't cheat lol), ram expansion to 1-4 MB(I would love a way to hack it so the 4MB expansion applied to all games, I could think of all sorts of things to do with that much extra memory), and the ability to play imports. BTW, even if you have a modchip, you still have to deal with territorial lockout on CD-R's! Isn't that crazy? Well, that's the good ol' Saturn for ya.

The last thing I plan on doing, and this is more of an ASAP kind of thing, is to get a coupe of the very slick 3D controllers for the system. I could always recall wanting one of these, cause they were freaking awesome looking ever since I first played Nights Into Dreams at a kiosk in some store, which ironically was also my first taste of 64-bit gaming too(N64, I never played the Jaguar and don't plan to). I'm even considering getting a USB converter dealie to run them or the J-style Saturn controls(as shown; I don't do those big bulky pre-Xbox American contraptions
rolleyes.gif
) for emulation exclusively, both for the fact that I love that 3D controller, and that the Saturn standard small controller is widely regarded as one of the best fighting controllers ever made. In fact, Sega still makes them with a USB connector, and they license the design to other companies to make theme controllers for systems like the PS2.

Finally, down the road I might try to hunt down a JVC "Twin Operator" vcd-card upgrade for my Saturn, as I've seen a FAQ for it stating that it allows not only VCD playback, but compatibility with MPEG enabled import Saturn games and JPEG picture CD's, which IMHO is very cool, especially for a console of all things. And here's the icing on the cake: It plays Karaoke discs too
eek.gif
! Yeah, I don't know what I might do with that feature, but I guess we'll see, now won't we?
biggrin.gif

The only thing I know I won't be getting for this is a NetLink package. The Saturn has no internet support, and if it still did, 28.8kbps connections aren't exactly cutting edge ways of gaming online
tongue.gif
Nonetheless, I anticipate I'll have a blast with this new toy of mine, and I'm not letting it get away this time.

580smile.gif
Abe

Apr 27, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 20
I just sold my one recently. The Saturn was a highly capable console, but there were too many things that didnt go Segas way in the market and it never gained any real popularity outside of Japan. The Dreamcast was another console that was really good and had some excellent games but also seemed to flop.

Itll be interesting to see how much extended emulation the Revolution will offer via its online catalogue, NES, SNES, Megadrive and gameboy games are already set to be availible.

[/ramble]

Apr 27, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #3 of 20
sweet! i love the saturn, and the controller is the best on the planet. the d-pad is simply brilliant. (you can get a native USB version of the saturn pad for use on the computer.)
The Capcom CPS2 games (street fighter alpha series, etc) are still the best ports to date.

I still have my original Saturn, and it still gets some play. Need to save up for Radiant Silvergun, and it'll get a lot more play.
im considering getting a second one as a backup, if i can find one in great condition.

but why bother with a modchip, since the 4 in 1 carts let you play imports?
unless you plan on stealing games...
rolleyes.gif

Apr 27, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rassilon
sweet! i love the saturn, and the controller is the best on the planet. the d-pad is simply brilliant. (you can get a native USB version of the saturn pad for use on the computer.)
---
but why bother with a modchip, since the 4 in 1 carts let you play imports?
unless you plan on stealing games...
rolleyes.gif

Ummm... Read the OP
biggrin.gif
(I already mentioned the part about the USB controllers.)

The modchip is only for CD-R compatibility, not region issues, those are solved with the cart- in effect, if you have a US console and you want to play a backup that's a Japanese title, you have to have both unless you modify the game, which I'm not into. I'm also just not willing to pay $100 for games, any game, period. That's what Radiant Silvergun, Dragon Force, Shining Force III, Panzer Dragoon Saga, and a slew of other titles can go for, over double retail on eBay. And that's practically scalping, IMHO. Too bad I don't live in Japan, cause my search for such games wouldn't be such a hassle...

580smile.gif
Abe

Apr 28, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #5 of 20
rolleyes.gif
the "sega isnt making any money on it" is a PATHETIC excuse for stealing.
if you cant afford to pay, dont play. There are plenty of good games that arent expensive, play those.

stealing the games is a much greater offense than "scalping." there is a reason some of these games are expensive: they are really good and really rare. Radiant Silvergun et.al are just as expensive in game stores in japan as they are on ebay.

Apr 28, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #7 of 20
Meh, IMO, I've more than paid for my share of games enough times, and you can't convince me to believe otherwise. I'm sticking to that. Say what you want, but at least try to stay on topic, can you? This is a discussion about things not worth getting into an argument over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Echo_
i was never a fan of the saturn

more of a genesis/snes/n64/dreamcast/ps1/ps2 guy
tongue.gif

No prob
smily_headphones1.gif
I was never much of an N64/Dreamcast/Genesis kind of guy, but I LOVE the NES, SNES, Saturn, PS1 and PS2. Different strokes for different folks, eh?
580smile.gif
Abe

Apr 28, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #10 of 20
Let's tone it down or I'll close the thread.

Apr 28, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9
Saturn was the good stuff, we still have ours. It had some awesome fighting games, lots of great 2D stuff to import.

Totally! I can't wait to start playing Dracula X: Nocturne In The Moonlight, or as Americans know it for the PS1, Castlevania: Symphony of The Night. Other major 2D ones I want to go all out on are Dragon Force and Guardian Heroes, and I'm always up for a good ol' street brawl, with comic book characters added in
wink.gif
Of course, I'm also gonna go crazy over Burning Rangers and Nights Into Dreams too, but everything waits after Panzer Dragoon Saga, I haven't played it in years and am eager to get my old Solo Wing Dragon.

580smile.gif
Abe

Apr 28, 2006 at 3:01 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Back to the Saturn?

I never left.

Two words.

[size=x-large]DEATH TANK[/size]

-Ed

LOL, I don't get it
smily_headphones1.gif

Anywho, I ran a karaoke CD+G disc on my Saturn last night, and I am thoroughly impressed! One can hide onscreen controls and play the worst songs no one should dare sing with full, colorful graphics! I think it'll be fun to hook it up to a projection TV for video and a maxed out PA system to really emphasize those drunken vocals on such hits as "Jose Cuervo" and "I Got Friends In Low Places"
biggrin.gif
Of course, you won't catch me dead singing that stuff, nuh uh!

580smile.gif
Abe

Apr 28, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #14 of 20
I once found a Nintendo Entertainment System for $20. It came with two controllers and three games. I almost got it too but figured I didn't have time to play. But if I found either a Sega Genesis I might have to bit... I still have my Game Gear somewhere.
icon10.gif

Apr 28, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi
I once found a Nintendo Entertainment System for $20. It came with two controllers and three games. I almost got it too but figured I didn't have time to play. But if I found either a Sega Genesis I might have to bit... I still have my Game Gear somewhere.
icon10.gif

Cool, I remember playing some Game Gear games back in the day, and the most memorable among them was Defenders Of Oasis- that game ruled the GG. If you're lucky, you might find an old NES for cheap with even more games worth playing, that you might want to consider getting. What can be funner than playing though SMB2/3, Blaster Master, and then never being able to beat Battletoads? I don't recall anyone I ever knew being able to master any part of that insanely hard game. I still haven't beaten it to this day, LOL

580smile.gif
Abe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back