Go-Vibe 5: What!Mate?!
Sep 30, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #406 of 536
Quote:

Originally Posted by afobisme
what are you using the sansa with? im using mine with e4cs, and there is a terrible muffle on the player (at least to my ears). ive had the player for 2 days now.. and i haven't used it much since im so turned off by the bad sound
mad.gif

I'm using E2C's and it sounds just fine even unamped.

Sep 30, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #407 of 536
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
. . . . . anyone compared Go-Vibe v3 to Go-Vibe v5 ? ? ?

Also...anyone compared the Go-Vibe v5 to a Pint yet? Surely one of you portable amp collectors can step up to the plate!

Oct 2, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #408 of 536
Shipped 9/21
Arrived 10/2

Listening with Er-6i
iPod source/TurboDock II/Cardas Mini Cable
GV powered by Powerex NiMH 9v battery

A few of quick notes:

1) I'm super familiar with the reference stuff on my iPod. In a lot of cases it is lossless. I have the SACD or DVD versions of a lot of it and I've heard it on all kinds of high end stereos and cans/amp combos. I've been listening to Thelonious Monk, Nickel Creek, Marc Cohn, Sarah McLaughlin, Norah Jones, Phish, Diana Krall, Jason Mraz, John Mayer, Nickelback and Creed.

2) I have a iPod Video/5 which I upgraded to from a 4. I'm intimately familiar with not only the songs but these encodes. I run the iPod out to a Headroom little to power Senn 580s and Grado 325s. I also use these audio files to stream from my file server to my home theater/listening room.

3) I've been listening to the Er-6i IEMs for a couple months because the Xin Super-mini I had was noisy and the hiss drove me crazy. Previously I had been using the Xin in conjunction with the iPod to power full size cans.

I've been listening for a few hours now and the biggest improvements over the iPod amp I can hear are (in order of comfort/notice ability):

1) Soundstage is more defined and realistic. Each instrument in T. Monk's composer album, right now for example, has a place and when I close my eyes I can place the artists in an imaginary room and it sounds believable in my mind. This is a quality of Monk's recordings which I always enjoy and a big reason why he is in my reference materials.

2) The top third of sound range is far more comfortable to listen to. When I switched back to the headphone out on the iPod I found the treble instantly fatiguing. The low end is more accurate and full, for sure, but the biggest difference is in the way it handles the highs.

3) As an offshoot from #1 and #2 above, detail is far more discernable across the board. This is partially just from clearing the junk in the iPod amplification away from the stage but also a testament to the amp's ability to reproduce the sound as intended.

4) Overall I find it just warm enough for my tastes... I have the preference across the board in music gear. I appreciate accuracy and prefer it for cinema sound but when it comes to music I prefer to be bathed in the warmth of the audio... cheesy as that sounds, its the truth.

5) There is one more quality I'd like to convey... somewhat of a cross between #1 and #4. It sounds symphony hall-ish... not echoey. Not "spacious". If you've ever been to see the symphony in a nice symphony hall you'll know this quality I speak of. The sound travels to your ears and when it arrives it feels like... like purified water tastes. Clean. Like "pure"...

...there is something "fine" about this gadget. I think somewhere hiding inside Norm was able to build in a little bit of magic.

Oct 6, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #414 of 536
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
. . . . . anyone compared Go-Vibe v3 to Go-Vibe v5 ? ? ?

V3 with AD8260 Vs V5:

I felt that the V3 has better details, probably due to its more upfront presentation. V5 have much better soundstage but its details, when compared to the V3 is a little blur. That is what I heard so far, have not really listen to both side by side to do a comparision.
tongue.gif

Oct 6, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #415 of 536
Quote:

Originally Posted by afbug
V3 with AD8260 Vs V5:

I felt that the V3 has better details, probably due to its more upfront presentation. V5 have much better soundstage but its details, when compared to the V3 is a little blur. That is what I heard so far, have not really listen to both side by side to do a comparision.
tongue.gif

Exactly the same here; but vs. other amps than the Go-Vibe v3.

Oct 7, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #416 of 536
Quote:

Originally Posted by hyamaiata
Hi. Does anyone knows what is a good and cheap charger for the Maha batteries that are reccomended for the Go-vibe?
Thanks.

I've owned the iPowerUS FC-391 for over two years now, and it charges my MAHA 9.6V NiMH batteries really well. It's still keeping my two year old 9V's charged and in good shape. They are still lasting as long on a charge as when they were new. At the following link, the charger is $22.50 USD. And, when the charging is done, it switches to trickle-charge so as not to overcharge the batteries. Given its versatility (AA, AAA, 9V) and its fast-charge capability, it's a nice unit, and reasonably priced, if it's compatible with your power.

http://www.dvd-rwmedia.com/ipowerus-...le-fc-391.html

Oct 7, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #417 of 536
Man I want to buy a GV5 too!
lambda.gif

Oct 7, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #418 of 536
if my go-vibe 5 doesn't come next week, im going to consider it lost.. will be a few days short of 1 month. man, this really sucks. i dont think the package was even delivered to me, what a waste of money
mad.gif

man, that's 1 package stolen and another one completely gone... im starting to lose my trust with ordering packages.

Oct 7, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #419 of 536
I posted a long first impression post above (6-8 posts up) and I am back after 5 days to say...

...money well spent. I'm using this Low Imp GV5/IEM combo more than any other setup I've ever had (except my home stereo and EMU/desktop amp/full size can stuff). Its so portable. So awesome. I'm listening to so much more music. It sounds so great. I'm totally rocking out at Starbucks right now with a big grin on my face.

Oct 8, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #420 of 536
I think that the shipments are insured so you should be able to get your money back if it did get lost.

good luck

Quote:

Originally Posted by afobisme
if my go-vibe 5 doesn't come next week, im going to consider it lost.. will be a few days short of 1 month. man, this really sucks. i dont think the package was even delivered to me, what a waste of money
mad.gif

man, that's 1 package stolen and another one completely gone... im starting to lose my trust with ordering packages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back