Go-Vibe 5: What!Mate?!
Sep 5, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #346 of 536
If I have seemed drastic before, (as usual) please don't take me too literally
smily_headphones1.gif

I really love the Go-Vibe v5, it's not perfect but it does a lot of things wonderfully.

Sep 6, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #347 of 536
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928
my experience with the GV5, 9V and the 701s is that the sound is good...not to the level it is with the Elpac but it requires the volume knob to be turned to at least 2:00.

Woah, I must listen at really low volume. My volume knob is about 9:30 with the K701.
blink.gif

Sep 6, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #348 of 536
Got the amp today and it sounds great. I'll let it burn in for a while before I post my impressions.

Sep 6, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #352 of 536
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928
with a lineout and an ipod?

I listen with the volume knob not more than 10:30 with both the k701 and k501 using iPod G4. I can't imagine what listening at 2:00 would do to my ears! Yikes.

Sep 7, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #354 of 536
Hey gang, I'm sort of a newbie and am just getting into higher end stuff...I currently run a panasonic portable cd player and an ipod shuffle (when the wife lets me use it). My headphones are sr60's and ksc75's. I plan on purchasing a portable mp3 player soon. I find the sr-60's sound good through both sources...

Do you guys/gals think I could benefit from the gv5 amp?? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve

Sep 7, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #355 of 536
I've listened to KSC75s only a little, but if they're like my KSC35s (as I believe they are) they do benefit from an amp. Specifically I find the vocal range on the KSC35 a bit grainy, the lows flabby, and the sound murky overall when unamped from an iPod. An amp cleans these things up remarkably and transforms the KSC35 into something pretty special.

Your mileage may vary of course, given that you've a difference source and somewhat different headphone, and different ears. But my best guess is that you will be pleased.

I don't remember the SR60 well enough to say what an amp does for it.

Sep 7, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #356 of 536
Quote:

Originally Posted by desmoface
Hey gang, I'm sort of a newbie and am just getting into higher end stuff...I currently run a panasonic portable cd player and an ipod shuffle (when the wife lets me use it). My headphones are sr60's and ksc75's. I plan on purchasing a portable mp3 player soon. I find the sr-60's sound good through both sources...

Do you guys/gals think I could benefit from the gv5 amp?? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve

It may sound crazy but you may want to listen to Gary's PA2V2. The synergy it had with my Grado's was fantastic. There are a couple for sale here at about $45 to $50. Or you could also buy the Go-Vibe 5 compared it with the used PA2V2 and sell/return the one you like less.

Sep 7, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #357 of 536
MrArroyo, thanks for the advice..

Steve

Sep 7, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #358 of 536
Quote:

Originally Posted by desmoface
MrArroyo, thanks for the advice..

Steve

My pleasure, one day I will have to change mrarroyo. It was not meant to be Mr. Arroyo but I can see where it is understood that way. Actually the M and R are the first letters of my first (Miguel) and middle (Ramon) name.

Sep 8, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #359 of 536
Just got mines today. Sound is definetly fuller, even on my cans. Ill see if it improves with some burn in, but from what everyone is saying it doesnt sound like theres a large change.

Edit:

Wow. This is sounding great with my a130's with only a couple of hours of burn in. Soundstage is much much better and the bass is a bit more tamed. I can see why everyone says this is great for details.

Sep 8, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #360 of 536
Had the GV5 for a few days now and I can wholeheartedly echo all the positive observations put forth thus far. Compared to my old Headsave classic with OP627's the new go-vibe is cleaner, more articulate, and more open. Fed lossless files from itunes via my roomate's modded dac-ah and into my 650's, the soundstage is larger and more defined and there is no more haze or congestion with improved dynamics. I expected this as it's well known OP627's give the Senn's too much of a good thing resulting in a very warm, dark, syrupy presentation.

Listening to The Walkmen's "The Rat" out of the Go-Vibe was a new and pleasant experience. I'm finally able to hear all the fine high speed cymbal and hi-hat work and the relentless pace and rhythm of the song comes through. PRAT in spades compared to the Classic.

Jeff Buckley's "Live at L'Olympia" disc showcases the amp's airiness. The interplay between Jeff and the raucous audience is great here and enhances the realism of the recording.

Lastly, do not think twice about purchasing the elpac power supply. The improvement is obvious. I also made a stab at using the little vibe as a preamp for my active monitors and it acquitted itself admirably considering it's primary function as a portable headphone amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back