G'n'R and Metallica: Triple.Fi or SE530?
May 4, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #31 of 79
so have you made your purchase as yet ?

May 4, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #32 of 79
I've just been going back & forth between them on paradise city.
To me there is a clear winner.
The SE530 clearly take this.
The Shures are all about sweet sounding upfront mids. They really bring the guitar solo right upfront & push it in your face. Its hard not to appreciate an electric guitar through these. Its almost the same with Axl's voice. Listening through the Shures seems to make you focus on the vocals. There is slightly less detail in the rest of the spectrum (including bass. Although there is more thump)

Going to the Triple.fi. The drum sounds great at the opening sequence. Great punch & fantastic presence. the decay on the snare is also pretty impressive in comparison. As soon as Slash comes in with his solo though it doesn't really strike you. It sounds quiet, like someone messed with the equipment after the band did their sound check. When the whistle blows & we get rolling its not really getting me excited. There is some good separation of the instruments here. Better than the Shures. Vocals are slightly drowned out by the constant hi-hats which make it kinda hard to rock out.

Guns N' Roses is all about Axl's exciting voice & Slash's EXTREME ability to captivate you with his guitar. Both these are lost with the triple.fi & shoved right in your face with the SE530.

I'm not familiar with the Metallica track but i'll try & give my interpretations any way.

I'm not sure on this one. Its quite a rough & dark sounding track to begin with & listening to it on the SE530 is quite a chore TBH. The bass guitar is easier to pick out & follow but only because of the extra amount of bass they have I think. WOW, this track is long. At the four minute mark when there is a nice slow break & the bass guitar takes over for a while its quite pleasant. The darkness of the track makes it very hard to enjoy on the Shures though.

Swapping back to the triple.fi & their added brightness gives the track a much needed boost & bit more life. I'm not a Metallica fan at all (can't even name a song they do apart from the ones i've played in Rock Band) but if all their music is recorded with this type of mastering they'd do better here on the Ultimate Ears. The four minute mark again gives a nice hand over to the bass guitar to lead the track on for a short while. Its actually easier to follow still once the lead kicks in too. The lead guitar still (to me) sounds slightly recessed. Its harder to feel the emotion put into it with it being more distant. The high pitched part of the solo that comes in at about 6:25 sounds nice though. I don't really know what else I can add here sorry.

I'm not a fan of this track & I don't really enjoy it on either IEM.

As a note. I did most of the listening through an iMod/Tomahawk combination but did swap to the headphone out occasionally as this would be pretty much how you'd be listening I guess.

Not sure if this will help you decide or not sorry....

May 4, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #33 of 79
Nuwidol, thanks very much, it helped a great lot! Im closer to my decision now...
BTW, I chose this metallica track on purpose. I was wondering how both IEMs deal with darker songs. Its really dark, like some of their older songs, but not all of them are like this.
Thanks a lot!

May 5, 2008 at 10:27 AM Post #36 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlavioWolff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
another thing, is the headphone out very different from the imod/tomahawk combination?

Unfortunately, yes it is. In every aspect you can think of the amped signal sounds better.

May 5, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #37 of 79
im not too worried, because i'll use them mostly direct from my soundcard, which is a very good source, even unamped... ipod is only for portable use, which is very limited.
Can I ask for more track comparisons?
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2008 at 1:10 PM Post #38 of 79
I have put the Triple Fi's away for a couple weeks now and have really found a new appreciation for SE530. There is currently NOTHING I don't like about these at the moment with every music I throw at them. The rolled off highs don't even faze me because that upper midrange is so well detailed.

May 6, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #39 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have put the Triple Fi's away for a couple weeks now and have really found a new appreciation for SE530. There is currently NOTHING I don't like about these at the moment with every music I throw at them. The rolled off highs don't even faze me because that upper midrange is so well detailed.

i agree with this, the se530 really can do any music very well, and with EQ also can easily outperform the triple fi all across the frequency spectrum. lots of people dont realise how good the highs can be (although IMO they are pretty nice as they are)

the only problem with the se530 is simple, they are a more difficult set of phones to pair up with a device. the right source and amp will make these unbeatable as far as IEM's go and they shine beautifully. out of the box IMO the shures just have a nicer midrange, and silky smooth tight bass that IMO never gets muddy, it has a nice blackness about it.

the triple fi's on the other hand have terrific seperation but seems to lack darkness. its superb in the high end but the fact the highs are so good seems to leave a lighter complexion in the bass. awkward sub tones dont come through strong in other words.

when i hear bass, i wanna hear that sub 30hz bass slide across effortlessly, this is deffinately done stronger on the shures, giving them that blackness in the mids and lows. as a result tho this will shock anybody reading this...i recommend the triple fi! its just sharper for metallica overall. most other music tho benefits from the shures darkness wether it be jazz through to dance, or pop to hip/hop! most other music genres just perform better on the shures.

the triple fi only has an advantage with classical, metal and rock IMHO, this i think is down to its sharper overall sound, the shures warmth works to its advantage for all other genres, except maybe 2 or 3 i cant think of.

overall to the OP get the triple fi if metallica and G'n'R are most important to you

May 6, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #41 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlavioWolff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many opinion divergences here! Nuwidol said triples hasn't what G'n'R ask for, and you say se530 is better for it! More undecised than ever :p

And you'll continue to get all those disparite opinions until you finally choose. Sorry, but consences around here is non-existant. In the end it'll come down to whatever you decide and then you'll live with them. Wish I could be more positive, but thems the breaks.

May 7, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #43 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
look at that poll, how can you ignore that!

All the poll shows is that more Triple Fi owners have voted than Shure owners - it doesn't even come close to showing which is better. Unless you're saying that a whooping 36 responses is a consensus (I don't).

The OP is never going to get the answer to his question short of trying both - which at his age and location will be nigh on impossible. The best he's going to get is opinions which (hopefully) will help guide him to a decision. Then we all we can do is hope he finds enjoyment in his choice, whether they be Shures or Triple Fis. Personally, I wish him the best whatever his final choice.

May 7, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #45 of 79
I think SE530 might have more clarity. The recessed midrange of the TFP gives a distant kind of airy feeling which can come across as hazy to some. These two IEM's are close...like Coke versus Pepsi.

Many of us that own both still go back and forth between the two and have difficulty deciding the better of the two so our opinions are only that to the OP. He needs to listen to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back