G'n'R and Metallica: Triple.Fi or SE530?
Apr 29, 2008 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 79

FlavioWolff

500+ Head-Fier
Helloes!
I will purchase one of those two IEMs, and I've read enough comparations thread to know that one is better for a kind of music and vice versa... Since I listen to lots of different kinds, I still can't decide!
So, I'm making a water-drop here: Which one will sound better with Metallica and Guns N' Roses? I decided to ask this because these are the bands I most listen to, and if one IEM is not good with one of these bands, I'm not happy.

If you vote on the poll, please post here why you made your choice!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 79
Aw, I have to explain why I chose it?
tongue.gif

I listened to both for awhile back at Head Fest 2007, and it really was no contest. The Shure E500 (or SE530 is what it's called these days) was more like a Sennheiser 'phone, while the triple.fi 10 Pro was like some odd Etymotic/Grado combination to my ears. Great for rocking out, and yet it was very demanding it showing how precise things were. Puzzles me to this day how that works out.
cool.gif

Apr 29, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #4 of 79
I am also about to choose between these two iem's.
There is no store around where I live that has ue tf10 for demo listening sadly enough, which makes the choice very hard.
I had the opportunity to listen very briefly to se530 the other day (although with wrong sleves on - had to hold them manually to get a seal). The bass sounded thumpy, kinda like on the porta pros. I like that kind of bass but maybe porta pros are a little too much.
Anyway, I was not overwhelmingly hooked considering the price tag (and compared to porta pros). Would I be hooked if I listened to UE's? (yeah yeah we all have different tastes but say your mind
tongue.gif
)

Now, I have heard people say that the ue's sound more like ety's which make me think they are more analytical than musical.
Anyone care to comment on this?

I would very much like a fun and musical earbud, hoping that the ue's are musical too.

I, like the OP, listen to all kind of music (except classical).

Sorry for stealing the thread.

Apr 29, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 79
im pretty sure youve heard from me before, but anyway

UE Tripe Fi 10

i listen dont listen to metalica metal more death, synphonic, melodic and also electronic, ie music with synths and electric guitars

i ditched the se530 my first, for the UEs

review below, +music tastes

Apr 29, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #6 of 79
I have used several "universal" IEMs, including the Shure SE530, Ultimate Ears Super.Fi Pro, and Triple.Fi 10's, and now have the custom SuperFreQs.

That being said, out of the Shure and the TF's, the TF's sounded more natural to me. The Shure's mid/high freq. did not sound to me "right", so I sold the Shure's and kepped the TF's.

I can honestly say that going the custom route was the best, and I will not be going back to universals - ever!. After going this route with universals, I must say that custom IEM's are better, and cheaper, and more comfortable. For the amount of money we are talking here (Shure SE530 or UER TF10's), I would rather actually get custom IEM's such as my own SuperFreQs (my personal vote, of course) or the Livewires (highly regarded here in the forums).

Will

Apr 29, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #7 of 79
I haven't tried the Triple Fi's, so my opinion is of very limited value. Having said that, it sounds to me from digesting the opinion's here that the TF's are really good on the highs, and perhaps a little less so on the bass and mids. I have the SE530's, and they are totally freakin' fantastic for loud rock. I don't listen to much metal, but I listen to a lot of hard alternative stuff, and they just totally work with that kind of music. The new Nick Cave- awesome. Sonic Youth- awesome. The live Clash album- like being there. For what you want- I don't think you could do a whole lot better than the 530'.

Apr 29, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #8 of 79
I currently own both and would definitely pick SE530 for rock and metal. The distant and airy TFP just doesn't sound right with this kind of music. And TFP's sound NOTHING like Etys.

Apr 29, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #9 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently own both and would definitely pick SE530 for rock and metal. The distant and airy TFP just doesn't sound right with this kind of music. And TFP's sound NOTHING like Etys.

isnt it strange how id pick the opposite for the same genre

just for interest what part of the music do you like the most, by this i mean instrument/frequency range/etc?

Apr 29, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #10 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
isnt it strange how id pick the opposite for the same genre

just for interest what part of the music do you like the most, by this i mean instrument/frequency range/etc?

Really, the whole presentation. I think rock and metal are somewhat aggressive genres so I want more of an up front forward presentation with visiceral slamming drums. SE530 fits this moreso than TFP (IMHO).

We hear and prefer things differently and I can accept that.

Apr 29, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #11 of 79
I used to have the E500's and ended up selling them and buying some triple.fi's and haven't looked back since.

I listen to Metallica a lot and lots of other rock/metal and love them over the Shure's.
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #12 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really, the whole presentation. I think rock and metal are somewhat aggressive genres so I want more of an up front forward presentation with visiceral slamming drums. SE530 fits this moreso than TFP (IMHO).

We hear and prefer things differently and I can accept that.

yeh,

i like the kicking of the drums but just as important, if not more so, the pitch of the guitars, funny isnt it how everyones recommendations are irrelevant really,

get both!

Apr 30, 2008 at 11:04 AM Post #15 of 79
so which one are you leaning towards, Flavio?

ue tf10 sure seems good, considering what people have to say about them. I have rather small ears tho, so i am unsure about the fit for me...

I hate that noone is willing to let you try the 400$ earbuds before you buy them... I think stores would sell more of these if one had the possibility to listen to them.

400$ spent on something you end up not liking is not = happy customer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back