Gluegun: Mission Impossible X
Dec 4, 2001 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

PC Corp

100+ Head-Fier
Quote:

If you are looking for high quality headphones, and don't go the Sony MDR-V600 route, you are a fool!

hi Gluegun, Sony V600's are the second best seller on Yahoo. And this is one of the "great" comments from the review. Maybe you want to do something about it.
wink.gif

Dec 5, 2001 at 12:10 AM Post #4 of 31
Heheheh... I didn't want to mention the flaws of the MDR-V600's again, but those V600's have WAY overboosted upper bass and lower midrange, with little (if any) low bass response to speak of. The upper midrange is VERY depressed, making vocals sound REALLY distant. And the treble... TREMENDOUSLY grainy, to say the least!!
eek.gif
And they produce all sorts of echoing, ringing and honking resonances, to boot!
redface.gif

Now for a rant that I had known all along, and "preached" by Gluegun...
wink.gif

[RANT]
When I first heard the name Sony, in the 1970's, its portable black-and-white TVs were WAY better in quality than comparable sets from RCA and Panasonic. That tradition continued when the first headphones in the MDR-V###DJ line were introduced (in 1985, with the MDR-V6, which was/is GOOD). But sometime in the late 1980's, Sony's advertisers coined the term "Sony Quality" - and that's when the downfall of Sony began. That downfall accelerated in 1992 and 1993, when the value of the Japanese yen became very high versus the value of the U.S. dollar - and that's when Sony began cheapening (or decontenting) the quality of its consumer electronics (hence, the introduction of the MDR-V600 and the MDR-V900 - those headphones didn't compete at all well with comparably-priced closed headphones from most other brands). A few years later, the value of the U.S. dollar rose against the value of the Japanese yen - but that came at a time when Japan itself was suffering from SEVERE economic troubles. So those crappy, overpriced Sonys remain crappy and overpriced. And at about the same time Sony has introduced a whole slew of cheaply-designed, cheaply-made, highly stylish and mediocre-performing consumer electronics at VERY high prices. And as the years passed, Sony has made each successive new product even cooler-looking, even higher-priced, and even more mediocre-performing - until we get to the mess that we're in now: people thinking that Street Styles and w.ears sound good, people thinking that the MDR-VCRAPDJ series sounds good, and people thinking that a higher price equals a better-quality product. (Gyah!
mad.gif
I hate that!!) However, there is a bit of good news here: Some models of the CURRENT G-Protection Sony CD Walkman (formerly Discman) line perform better than last year's versions of those same models, so all is not lost.
[/RANT]

TIA

Randall
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 5, 2001 at 1:05 AM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Now for a rant that I had known all along, and "preached" by Gluegun...

I read your "rant" and can only agree.

3 picture tubes in 4 1/2 years on a 35" TV.

Bye Bye Sony, Hello JVC.

Dec 5, 2001 at 1:18 AM Post #6 of 31
LOL, geez, I can't even read that V600 quote w/ a straight face!
biggrin.gif

I think maybe Gluegun is using that trance forum for skirmishes... but w/ that provocation, the Yahoo crusade may be drawing nigh!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 5, 2001 at 2:02 AM Post #7 of 31
How bad are these VCRAPs exactly? I listened to a V700 once at a Sony showfloor and they didn't sound all that bad. But I just listened for half a minute at music I didn't know
tongue.gif

Is it something that would come out and shock you at first listen or something that you can't notice during audition but makes you regret soon after you buy them?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 5, 2001 at 2:21 AM Post #8 of 31
I've heard V700's also...they are outrightly noticably bad.

If you have experience with any of the big boy dynamic headphones wheter it is AKG501, Senn580/600, Beyer DT931, etc, they will sound extremely bad.

If you have experience with $20 dollar Koss cheapies...they will still sound extremely bad.

Dec 5, 2001 at 4:32 AM Post #9 of 31
And the ONLY way that the VCRAPDJ series will sound "better than ever" (read: GOOD) is if you have experience with only the el-cheapo freebie headphones that the consumer electronics manufacturers had packaged with Walkman players!
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Dec 5, 2001 at 5:26 AM Post #10 of 31
I should post a review about the V-600s on there, I have written several reviews there and I have a fairly good "reputation". It will be a 2 star review that compares it to the HD600s, and also to the KSC-35s
biggrin.gif

WOAH! you guys all wrote KSC-35 reviews too!

Dec 5, 2001 at 6:14 AM Post #13 of 31
And the reviews of the Sennheiser HD-600's on Yahoo! Shopping, the average rating of those headphones is *only* 3.3 out of 5 stars!
eek.gif
Deflated by a bunch of one-star reviews (some of which by the very same person) that say "they SUCK!" AAARRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!
mad.gif
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
mad.gif
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 5, 2001 at 6:28 AM Post #14 of 31
Xevion, why don't you make that 1 star?
confused.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 5, 2001 at 7:42 AM Post #15 of 31
Hmm, no reply from Gluegun, yet. I wonder if he's still in shock after reading that quote, or if he went into a berserker frenzy and started going after everyone that positively mentioned the V600s on Yahoo?
eek.gif

My guess is both at the same time!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back