Glove Audio A1 jacket DAC Amp for AK120
Aug 23, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #47 of 312

where can I find its reviews?

Hey. I've just been reading Michael Mercer's comments on the CEntrance FB page so far. 

"Spiritual experience: Bumpin upcoming Audeze CD via LCD-XCs via Double Helix Cables Silver Peptide balanced cable & CEntrance Glove Audio A1 DAC/amp for Astell&Kern AK120/100!!!! It's breakin' in, and, mind-blowingly, in the sonic ballpark of ALL the new AK DAPs!! For $599 - turn your AK120 or AK100 into a portable high rez system that rivals some of the leaders (#AstellnKern)! The AK240 is still KING, but, this is frighteningly close, IMO!! Just have to admit it..."

"The Glove is stunningly dynamic, detailed, and actually gives EVERY new A&K player a run for its money! For $599. It's a WINNER."

"Heard the NEW 
CEntrance/Glove Audio (new side-line of theirs) A1 DAC/amp for the Astell&Kern MQS Portable System AK100 & AK120! SO stout in my hand, and musical, airy, dynamic, and just damn FUN: Engaging!!!! Can't WAIT to review this sucker!!"

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/the_show_newport_2014/mercer/

Oct 21, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #53 of 312

The next 'big question' will be: Does it sound better (more dynamic) than the HiFiman 901 balanced? Which is supposedly a bit better than the AK240. 

Which the AK120 S-mod is quite a bit better than the Hifiman 901 with its best card :wink:...

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #55 of 312
Well I have one on the way as soon as they start shipping. Michael Mercers review sealed it for me.

I simply do not want to invest more money with A&K due to their fast redundancy of very expensive players. I seriously thought of the AK240 but just do not want to shell out $2500 only for it to be superseded by the AK480 or whatever it will be in less than a year. I know that should not matter but it does.

Add to that from what Michael says it comes within a hairs breath in terms of sound quality and Centrances excellent reputation and that sold me for my last upgrade in portable audio.

Michael told me it sounds stellar when connected to a tube amp as well so I am really looking forward to hearing it in conjunction with my ASP TU-05.

I asked on FB and it seems they should be receiving stock from their manufacture today or tomorrow and will start to ship as soon as they do so hopefully by the first week of November I should have mine!

Oct 22, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #56 of 312

INSANELY short battery life for the AK120 S-mod, though? :wink:

I left the S-mod running on loop and it lasted about 8 hours if not a bit more.... I'd say that is not bad considering the chips its running and the sound quality it produces. Isn't the 901 around that time as well? :p Of course if I was being OCD I could make it run out in 5 hours. But that was the same for the DX100 when constantly touching the screen.

Oct 22, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #57 of 312

I left the S-mod running on loop and it lasted about 8 hours if not a bit more.... I'd say that is not bad considering the chips its running and the sound quality it produces. Isn't the 901 around that time as well? :p Of course if I was being OCD I could make it run out in 5 hours. But that was the same for the DX100 when constantly touching the screen.

Actually, I'm surprised you managed to get 8 hrs out of it.

But with actual real-life interactive use, that'd drop.

Still, I concede that it's not quite as bad as I'd been led to believe (4-5).

Oct 22, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #58 of 312

Actually, I'm surprised you managed to get 8 hrs out of it.

But with actual real-life interactive use, that'd drop.

Still, I concede that it's not quite as bad as I'd been led to believe (4-5).

Same for the 901. If you fiddle with the unit it won't last you 8+ hours like they claim. That is running the unit on continuous loop without touching it. The DX100 would last me 5 or less hours on average due to changing tracks but would last up to 9 hours if I just ran it on continuous loop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back