Glasses and headphones, a bad combiniation?
Oct 3, 2010 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

Hadoe

Head-Fier
So this one is for all the glasses wearers out there. If you've ever put on a crappy pair of circumaural or supra-aural headphones with glasses you know of the pain that they are capable of causing. My question for you guys is if it is possible to find a way around a certain pair of headphones not so accommodative design. I've tried all sorts of things to make a bad pair feel better on my ears but nothing seems to really do the trick. What have you guys done? Are there solutions besides simply replacing the pads? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Oct 3, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #2 of 51
I think it comes down more to personal feeling more than anything else. In prior days, I used to only use circum-aural and supra-aural headphones - still have a couple of pairs that I rather like like the SR-80 and the PortaPro. I never had a problem with discomfort caused by excessive headphone wearing on top of my glasses.

Personally, I remember when I was younger and used to get pain on the side of my head when I'd get a new pair of glasses with a new geometry I wasn't used to. Back then I used to buy these tiny adhesive pads that glued to the inside of the ear-pieces of the glasses and would wear them for a couple of months to give my glasses time to break in. Have you tried something like that?

Oct 3, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 51
I don't wear eyeglasses, but after spending all day at work in a brightly lit retail store I find that wearing a very light pair of sunglasses often helps decrease eye fatigue where ever else I go (they're very slim reading glass sized) and I have worn my headphones for hours at a time with those glasses on and found little to no discomfort-- I wore them pretty well three straight days in a row at my cottage with the early hours of the morning consisting of me sitting on my dock with my SRH-840s on for an hour or two and found no discomfort again.

I think it may be a matter of your particular frames vs. a particular headphone padding! ... In which case I say you get new frames to compliment the headphones.
wink.gif

Oct 3, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 51

Quote:
I think it comes down more to personal feeling more than anything else. In prior days, I used to only use circum-aural and supra-aural headphones - still have a couple of pairs that I rather like like the SR-80 and the PortaPro. I never had a problem with discomfort caused by excessive headphone wearing on top of my glasses.

Personally, I remember when I was younger and used to get pain on the side of my head when I'd get a new pair of glasses with a new geometry I wasn't used to. Back then I used to buy these tiny adhesive pads that glued to the inside of the ear-pieces of the glasses and would wear them for a couple of months to give my glasses time to break in. Have you tried something like that?

I'm not exactly sure I understand what you did with the adhesive pads. So you stuck them to your glasses and then the pad pressed against you're head instead of the plastic and or metal? I've actually never thought of that.

Oct 3, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #6 of 51
Another option is to go IEM. No glasses interference at all.

Oct 4, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #7 of 51
I've never had problems with my glasses, and I have some pretty thick plastic frames.  Have you tried contacts?
I think some of it might have to do with how far your ears stick out and what not. 

Oct 4, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #8 of 51
I have never had any discomfort from my glasses when wearing my headphones. Maybe try a set of cans that have less clamping force or stretch out the band of the ones you have may help.

Oct 4, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #9 of 51
Oct 4, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #11 of 51
I never had problems until recently, with the best of my headphones. The LCD-2 caused me pain in my temples. I know my glasses were a big part of it, but  maybe not all. With my HD800, my glasses are more annoying than anything else. I can't seem to take them off without knocking the glasses off my head, more of a PITA than actual pain.

Oct 4, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #13 of 51
I wouldn't cause myself the pain

Oct 4, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #14 of 51

Quote:

I'm not exactly sure I understand what you did with the adhesive pads. So you stuck them to your glasses and then the pad pressed against you're head instead of the plastic and or metal? I've actually never thought of that.

That's exactly it. When I was younger I used to have problems with the pressure being applied by the earpieces and nose pieces of a new pair of glasses so I'd buy the adhesive pads the glue to these spots and create a cushion between the piece and your face. They're usually available at optics stores/offices and in the medicine aisles in big grocery stores.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back