giving up on my Equation RP-21's? what to get/what to do?
Aug 2, 2008 at 5:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Baba booey

Headphoneus Supremus
well I have them but my head is huge(7 3/4) so I can't get the most out of isolation and bass.
P1010413.jpg

they don't clamp enough for me. If I squeeze them enough, they sound better, but that's a given
tongue.gif

If I end up having to part with these, I want something that will(hopefully) clamp more, resulting in greater isolation but without being ridiculously uncomfortable, and will have good bass response. my sources are a D2, a sony A728, and a Clip. I use the D2 for the most part. I do not want to have to buy an amp.
So I ask you, what should I do? Thanks.

Aug 2, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #2 of 20
dang.. I'm 7 5/8 / 7 3/4 for fitteds. I was kinda ok with the rp21, though I don't use it all the time, since it's my bro's. Think I used 4-5 knotches down on headband.

Anyways, I've read a few good things about the M-Audio Q40. I'm not sure on the fit/clamp. I know i asked before, and receieved an answer...but I do not remember what it was. Maybe you could ask someone on the Q40 impressions thread. Seems a few of the owners have had experience with the RP21 before also.

Aug 2, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #3 of 20
the person on here who I bought these off was also selling those. For that money, should I also look @ the DT770's? Sorry for not specifying my price range. I prefer ~140 and under, because I could sell these and some other stuff.

Aug 8, 2008 at 8:39 AM Post #6 of 20
I'd take the HD25-1's. You can bend the headpbands for your personal needs. They won't need an amp given your players, as they are very efficient, and don't get fooled by their impedance - 32 ohm Grado's don't play that loud.

Aug 8, 2008 at 8:53 AM Post #7 of 20
lil' tips from me, dont use the headband to backward...use it at the center of your scalp or a lil bit forward, cmiiw...
wink.gif

you can see more detail about Headphone position'ing here:
Meier Audio

DT770's & HD280 are too boomy, IMHO..maybe you should check on Ultrasone's (for example, HFI580)...try it first before make up your mind to buy it, (maybe) it can be found on 140 or less...you can read about it here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bes...phones-349559/

Thread that related to HFI580:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/wha...-580-a-327443/

hope this post help you out, goodluck !
wink.gif

Aug 8, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baba booey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the person on here who I bought these off was also selling those. For that money, should I also look @ the DT770's? Sorry for not specifying my price range. I prefer ~140 and under, because I could sell these and some other stuff.

When you say "for that money" it sounds like you're talking about the Q40. Is this person asking more than about 75 bucks for his used pair? Because on Ebay right now you can get them brand new for under $100.

I've not used the RP21, but I was under the impression that they fit very TIGHTLY, and that the Q40, which I own, fits a little looser. I would describe the Q40 fit as "tight." I'm sure that doesn't help too much, heh. The sound quality of the Q40 is really great though, and I've not heard anyone who owns them say otherwise yet. Did you find Warrior05's thread about them?

Aug 9, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #10 of 20
for my head, the RP-21's aren't tight enough. I don't even get much fatigue even after a few hours.

I just read his review on the M-Audio Q40's and for a bit under 100, they do seem very tempting.

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #11 of 20
Baba, you might want to ask the guys who have the Q-40s and ask how far they can extend the cups down. LOL fixed, sorry Baba!

Aug 9, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #13 of 20
well I've read enough through for the Q-40's to be impressed. I took the advice from that one person and moving the headphones definitely helps, but upgrade-itis has hit, and not that much money needs to be covered for the price difference between what I get form selling these and the cost of the Q-40's. the diffrence seems to be about 30$.
and btw, Baba Booey is a reference from the Stern Show:
Gary Dell'Abate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Aug 11, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baba booey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the HD-25-1's and the Ultrasones are both 170$+....
It's a stretch, but I'd finally have reason to sell my Sony A728, which has been a bit of a let down to me.

but have you tried to use it in properly position base on Meier Audio ?

if it's didn't help much then go for Q40...FYI, i've bought Ultrasone HFI580 (new, no used) for <USD 140 here at my country...
wink.gif

Aug 12, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by iQEM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but have you tried to use it in properly position base on Meier Audio ?

if it's didn't help much then go for Q40...FYI, i've bought Ultrasone HFI580 (new, no used) for <USD 140 here at my country...
wink.gif

yea I just checked Froogle or whatever it is and I can get a good new pair for ~140-150...so those are my best bet then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back