Giving up on headmaster; What amp should I get?
Oct 2, 2002 at 4:28 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Gergor
One more question about Earmax pro driving low-z phones: Does it raise the noise floor like some complain about RKV without Impedancer?

I have not had any problems with the EMP with low impedance cans. The EMP was explicitly designed to handle low impedance cans, the RKV was explicitly designed to handle higher impedance cans (it almost seems to prefer higher impedance cans).

Oct 2, 2002 at 6:33 AM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by zzz
On the other hand, Sugden/W2002 pair gets all the basics right, is incredibly smooth, and has the best texture I've heard from headphones. YMMV of course but I liked it a lot.

Right now W2002 is in its box standing next to EAR HP4 in the closet. I'm planning to try it with some other amps in the future though.

Thanks zzz,

May I ask... have you ever own a Sugden headmaster? From your profile, you don't seem to own it now. Is there a reason why you're not buying/keeping it? I'm wondering because you have so high opinion of it with W2002.

Cheers,
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2002 at 9:14 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

...there's a tiny bit of hum using the Grado SR 80, but barely so with the F1. Not really bad. And no hissing at all.

There shouldn't be any audible noise whatsoever. I reckon something else is amiss.

Oct 2, 2002 at 9:46 AM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by SumB
There shouldn't be any audible noise whatsoever. I reckon something else is amiss.

i agree.. i use the SR325 with the EMP and there's no hum

Oct 2, 2002 at 10:00 AM Post #20 of 24
From other posters here I've already read the same. It's not «something else», but clearly the output stage. It's independent from the volume adjust and the input cables, connected or not, and more in the left channel. No change with other tubes. But not bad, as mentioned. As soon as there's music, even low levels, it's not perceivable anymore. But I don't like it that much, the more so when I read from you that you haven't (had) this problem...
frown.gif

Oct 2, 2002 at 10:23 AM Post #21 of 24
When my EMP was new it had a slight hum that would go away when the volume control was touched. After a few hundred hours of playing it is now silent, no more hum with stock or the Telefunken tubes.

The EMP and W2002 are an excellent combination, no hiss at all, a very synergistic match IMO.

Oct 6, 2002 at 10:30 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

[size=xx-small]Originally posted by JaZZ:[/size]
...there's a tiny bit of hum using the Grado SR 80... No change with other tubes.

I have to correct myself: there's in fact a change with other tubes. The stock ones and the Amprerex Bugle Boys have the same degree of hum, the Telefunken E88CC even a bit more, while the Philips Miniwatt have almost no audible hum.

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Oct 7, 2002 at 7:31 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Gergor
Is there a reason why you're not buying/keeping it? I'm wondering because you have so high opinion of it with W2002.

series of bad purchasing decisions.

Oct 7, 2002 at 12:54 PM Post #24 of 24
I've got to upgrade my opinion of the EAR/W2002 combo based on listening over the weekend. It had been awhile, and I found that a lot of the coloration I had objected to in the combo has significantly reduced over time. I suspect that the tubes I have in the EAR are getting burned in, which is making a difference. Still not the best amp for the W2002, but at least it's not objectionable anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back