Giving a presentation on headphones
Oct 8, 2001 at 4:36 AM Post #46 of 51
KR: Get a A. The speech is tomorrow, so start crossing your fingers now
smily_headphones1.gif

And hopefully this one will go down in the archives in a similar folder as Gluegun's Essay
wink.gif

ah well... Glad you guys liked it tho!

Oct 8, 2001 at 4:40 AM Post #47 of 51
Quote:

KR: Get a A. The speech is tomorrow, so start crossing your fingers now

Get a A? With grammar like that - you BETTER cross your fingers.......
tongue.gif

Oct 8, 2001 at 12:29 PM Post #48 of 51
Very good eric343! Since this is a non-technical crowd, you might want to also consider demonstrating the principal of locomotion of dynamic vs electrostatic phones. You can demo the electromagnetic principle using a coil of wire, a battery and a cheap compass. When you connect the battery to the coil of wire you can show the deflection of the compass needle explaining that the very same principle causes the diaphragm to move in the headphone driver, in turn moving the air that you hear, etc... For demonstrating electrostatic attraction you could rub a balloon on your hair and stick it to the wall, or use a Leyden jar or some such. Anyway, the possibilities are endless... You could launch into discussing the relative moving mass of the elements and why one is capable of more delicate sound, etc...Sheesh! There I go again! Great job Eric! Best of luck with your talk!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2001 at 7:12 PM Post #49 of 51
Oh, I fogot to mention that no props or demonstrations are allowed. Too bad, since I was going to bring in a PCDP, my dad's Grados, and their Cmoy to see what everyone thought of them versus, say, a pair of PCDP Crapophones.

Oct 10, 2001 at 9:21 PM Post #50 of 51
Gyah! Can't even bring in PICTURES? Like, of the KSC-55's? Oh, and you should mention that those are the only really really good sounding "behind-the-head, streetstyle" type of headphones.

Oct 10, 2001 at 11:41 PM Post #51 of 51
Pictures were allowed. And yeah, I showed a picture of the KSC-55s.

The speech went quite well, my teacher was surprised there was so much information on headphones availible! (and I just glossed over the details...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back