Oct 4, 2001 at 4:20 AM Post #31 of 51
ROFL, guys. I have always been, am, and always be the "weird guy."
biggrin.gif
(and proud of it...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
)

Oct 4, 2001 at 4:50 AM Post #32 of 51
Just, if you're gonna talk about good headphones to buy, talk about the KSC-55's. Please, man.....those are the most common type of headphones you see in that demographic, streetstyle headphones.

Oct 4, 2001 at 4:57 AM Post #33 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
I just don't get that webiste : http://www.anime.co.za/headphet/Index.asp
What the hell kind of fetish is that?
Oh well, whatever floats your boat I guess.

It floats my boat alright, just not very organized and time consuming to go through the 'phetish' site. What are some of the highlights?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Okay, after further review I take that back, it's a pretty boring site
frown.gif

Oct 5, 2001 at 12:27 AM Post #35 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
ROFL, guys. I have always been, am, and always be the "weird guy."
biggrin.gif
(and proud of it...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
)

ALL RIGHT! Now I found a buddy in my age bracket!

lol.......weird kids "this-too-shall-pass" chant....on three....GEEKS RULE MODERN ECONOMY! GEEKS RULE MODERN ECONOMY....

k, I'll stop now.

redface.gif

Oct 5, 2001 at 2:22 AM Post #38 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by HD-5000
oh and coolvij, wearing headphones does not make you a geek.

No, REALLY!?
biggrin.gif

I never said it did.

It's not headphones that make me a geek.....geez.....

To be honest, I'm not really a geek.

I'm more of a misfit - of all the peeps in my skewl, one person can actually describe me.....unaccurately. Other people are just way off. it's weird.

I think.....I'm a freak.

And proud of it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2001 at 1:07 AM Post #39 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by chych
Do Not Click Here

Well, there's several hours of my life I'll never get back! Thanks, chych! (And I hope I never get them back, neither!)

Oct 7, 2001 at 4:04 AM Post #40 of 51
Dude! I said... "don't click here"...

Can't you read?
wink.gif

And eric, another instance of your number being seen twice... (image)

Oct 8, 2001 at 12:58 AM Post #42 of 51
Ok, here's the speech I've written. Apologies for some generalizations (especially the 'adequate' sound quality rating I gave dynamic headphones), please keep in mind the target audience is highschool freshmen who'll probably never see a pair of Etys, CD3ks, or R10-Kings.

Quote:

Many people think of headphones as the things that come with their portable CD player. Many people assume that all headphones work the same way and that their home stereo will always sound better so they might as well save their money. However, all headphones do not work the same way, and some might outperform all but the best home stereos, at a fraction of the cost. There are dynamic headphones and electrostatic headphones. You can get open-back, closed-back, and in-the-ear headphones. You can even buy cordless headphones!

Dynamic headphones have a wire coil attached to a thin diaphragm, so that when a current is passed through the coil it moves the diaphragm closer to the magnet fixed in the headphone. Dynamic headphones are the most popular type of headphone because most are much cheaper than electrostatics, while their sound quality is adequate for most people. Also, virtually all cordless, closed-back, and in-the-ear headphones are dynamic.

Electrostatic headphones have a thin, conductive diaphragm suspended between two conductive stators. This type of headphone uses a high-voltage current applied to each stator in turn to move the diaphragm to or fro. Because the diaphragm is so lightweight, electrostatic headphones have phenomenal detail and sound quality, however they are usually quite expensive.

Nearly all electrostatics and some of the best dynamic headphones are open-back, because most open-back headphones are lightweight and comfortable, with an open, airy sound. Open-back refers to the way the headphones are constructed, instead of sealing the speaker in with the ear, the back of the headphone is covered with a form of grille, allowing sound to leak out. In fact, some open-back headphones act like small speakers, allowing anyone near you to hear what you’re listening to!

Most “conventional” headphones are closed-back, or sealed. They enclose the ears in the ear cups with an almost airtight seal, allowing no sound to leak out. As a result, sealed headphones often have a clear, detailed sound, although they can be quite heavy and uncomfortable.

In-the-ear headphones come in three types: ear buds, vertical headphones, and canal headphones. Ear buds are usually popular with people who are on the go and students who don’t want to get caught listening to the radio, and have either a short stem where the cord attaches or an attached earpiece to hold the ear bud securely in place. Vertical headphones are simply ear buds mounted on a headband, and canal headphones are actually inserted into the ear canal, like earplugs. Because of the airtight seal formed by canal headphones, they have an amazing ability to block out external noise, such as is found on an airplane. Also, the best canal headphones are known to sound just as good as many electrostatic headphones, for around a tenth of the price. Unfortunately, canal headphones can be very uncomfortable, and take some getting used to.

Most high-priced headphones need a dedicated amplifier, because a CD player by itself isn’t powerful enough to get a really good sound out of them. In fact, almost all headphones sound much better with an amplifier. Amplifiers start around $150 for entry-level models, or you can build your own for as low as $30, provided you have a soldering iron and know how to use it. This is an example of a headphone amplifier that I built myself according to plans I got for free off the Internet.

Since you probably don’t want to buy or build an amplifier, there are a number of good headphones that can be had for under $100 that sound fine without an amp. Good examples of these are the Grado SR-40s and SR-60s. They retail for around $50-80 and have an in-your-face sound, with eye-blinking impact that many rock fans enjoy. They are open headphones, so at high volume they act as miniature speakers, so your friends can hear too. If the Grados are too expensive for your budget, then the Koss KSC-55 headphones are recommended as good headphones for the music-lover on a budget. In fact, Koss makes a number of good budget headphones in addition to the KSC-55, such as the UR-20s and UR-30s.

There are a lot of good headphones out there, for almost any budget, from the $10,000 Sennheiser Orpheus to the $70 Grado SR-60s. For more information on headphones, headwize.com is an excellent resource and the gurus at head-fi.org will be happy to answer any questions you may have, and if you decide to buy yourself a pair headphone.com has the best prices around and customer service that’s second to none.

I based most of the speech on A Quick Guide to Headphones from HeadWize, and the numerous helpful comments given here. Sorry I wasn't able to mention all the headphones you folks recommended, but I *did* have a time limit
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: Hey, now I have exactly 400 posts! K3w1
biggrin.gif

edit again: Hmm, I just had to go post again, didn't I...

Oct 8, 2001 at 3:51 AM Post #43 of 51
That was pretty good.....

Oct 8, 2001 at 4:00 AM Post #45 of 51
hahahah. we should make a website dedicated to evangelizing headphone audiophilia. I should scan some of the "evangelizing tips" fliers I've collected...
biggrin.gif

PS. ain't no thang wrong with religion. I'm just not the evangelical type.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back