Giving a presentation on headphones
Oct 2, 2001 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

eric343

Member of the Trade: Audiogeek: The "E" in META42
For my English class, we have to do a speech on a particular topic, it'll be 4-6 min long and MUST have PowerPoint or a flip chart. What information do you folks think I should include for my presentation (on headphones of course), keep in mind the audience is 9th grade private-schoolers who think those funny silver mesh $20 headphones are good. (although someone has a pair of HD545s on their PCDP, no amp tho)

No I don't want you to do my work for me, just some suggestions
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 2, 2001 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 51
Bring in a glass head with a pair of HD600 on them driven by a X-canv2 to convince anyone who doesn't believe you that it's better then those $20 cans.

You can talk about

1 : The history of it
2 : Frequency response
3 : Range, main manufacturer/close, open, IR....
4 : Comfort
5 : Why?

Keep it to about a minute for each one, shouldn't be that hard since you have a whole database here and on headwize for your research.

Oct 2, 2001 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 51
maybe you could check out the headwize headphone FAQs for some ideas (http://headwize.com/faqs.htm) - lots of questions about headphones that you could answer for the class.

when i first got interested in headphones the first thing that confused me was the need for a headphone amplifier. perhaps you could explain that (even give a demo with your cmoy).

also I believe headroom has some articles about headphone stuff. in fact, here it is: http://www.headphone.com/EditorialHe...adingStuff.asp

Good luck on your presentation!

Oct 2, 2001 at 6:04 PM Post #4 of 51
If it's supposed to be informative, you could discuss the various types of headphones(open, closed, dynamic, electrostatic....)

If it's persuasive, you could compare different headphones, or headphones to speakers, (cost, comfort, quality etc)

Just bring in visual aids =)

Oct 2, 2001 at 8:10 PM Post #5 of 51
eric: sounds like a neat idea (headphone presentation). I'd suggest heading over to headwize ASAP - the Library has some awesome stuff...plenty of research material.

Also cover equalizations (grado, sennheiser, beyer) or lack of (AKG? Stax? Orpheus?).

And of course, let them demo some nice headphones, if possible. Your dad has SR-80s, right? Well - there u go...
tongue.gif

Good Luck!

Oct 2, 2001 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 51
i've already done this for a public speaking class.

there's lots of information, more than enough to last 6 minutes, so i confined myself to an introduction to the types of headphones.

first i discussed the types of drivers dynamic, electrostatic/electret, isodynamic, etc... then open vs. closed cans (i used that picture of 2 girls making out wearing sony cans to illustrate closed cans... that really got the class' attention) and the last subject was the fit of the can. i.e. circumaural vs. surpaural, earbuds and canalphones.

Oct 2, 2001 at 9:40 PM Post #7 of 51
Quote:

(i used that picture of 2 girls making out wearing sony cans to illustrate closed cans... that really got the class'

Ahem, 9th grade class, I don't think we want eric over there to be suspended
wink.gif

Oct 2, 2001 at 9:43 PM Post #8 of 51
HAHAHA, good job Skippy!
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2001 at 11:31 PM Post #10 of 51
what picture and where do i find it?

Oct 2, 2001 at 11:45 PM Post #11 of 51
As for history os cans, there's this guy named Jason (I think) who has a huge collection of old cans. Try a search on Headwize.

Oct 3, 2001 at 12:16 AM Post #14 of 51
I like Gluegun's list, tho I'd scratch the UR series of Koss cans and instead include 888s and Grado SR 60/80s as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back