Girlfriends Birthday is nearing HELP
Jun 11, 2004 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

Gopher

Member of the Trade: LampizatOr Audio
OK, so I've been with my current girlfriend for almost a year and the inevitable thing is about to happen... She's got a birthday comming up at the end of the month.
I'm completely stumped on what to get her and could use some input.
We're pretty serious and will likely be engaged in the next year or two:

Background: for X-mas I flew her down to my home in NY and took her to a Broadway show (Moving Out) and a nice dinner on New Years eve,

For graduation I got her a nice, custom engraved photo album

For the birthday... I'm stumped!

Help a guy out here, what to get? I'd like to stay under $200.
Also, no she doesn't want audio gear.

HELP

Jun 11, 2004 at 3:20 PM Post #3 of 62
Got me they're Women?

Now's when we need the female Head-Fiers to step forward and Help.

Getting input from a bunch of guys is useless. But it seems like you're on the right track with your previous gifts so go with your instincts.

Clueless in Seattle

Mitch

Jun 11, 2004 at 3:40 PM Post #4 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
Now's when we need the female Head-Fiers to step forward and Help.
Mitch

Good one Mitch....
biggrin.gif

Dear Gopher,

What your girlfriend needs is to see that whatever you do it's done because she's REALY important to you. So forget the usuals (flowers, jewels, parfum etc. ) and put your mind to it...
biggrin.gif
(The 200$ limit is irrelevant, since it could cost less)

I dont know much about audio but I'm still trying to learn about the most precious thing in life....girlfriends.

From an «expert» on this....
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2004 at 5:53 PM Post #5 of 62
Yup see how clueless guys are.

I asked my married friends once looking for insight about women and the consensus was:

"Women do strange things for no apparent reason."

Like that's a lot of help. Over time I've discovered they were right.

Knowing your girlfriend and putting thought into the gift is more important than the cost. Maybe?

Mitch

Jun 11, 2004 at 6:44 PM Post #7 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gariver
That's easy: Get FLOWERS! Now, if you get something different, the emotional value goes up: Yellow roses, for example!

biggrin.gif

Yellow, maybe not:

«A yellow rose can be sent to ask "Don't you love me any more?" or to signify the start of a friendship or the parting of ways! »

http://www.interrose.co.uk/yellow_roses.shtml

Amicalement

Jun 11, 2004 at 6:48 PM Post #8 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopher
Also, no she doesn't want audio gear.

HELP

What about tools..
confused.gif

OK, how about champagne in a helicopter ride that drops you at a romantic guest house in the countryside where you wine and dine her after first taking her for a leisurely horseback ride by the lake.....
icon10.gif

Jun 11, 2004 at 6:58 PM Post #9 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn
A nice jewel.

Like some gold which can later be melted down and made into interconnects...
lach_3.gif
I really hope my wife isn't standing behind me now....
coolphones.gif

Jun 11, 2004 at 7:23 PM Post #10 of 62
Never go the "flowers" route unless it's your ONLY option. They'll work, but ehhh...the REAL DEAL is something PERSONAL!

Take an example: my girlfriend is a Tolkien & LOTR FREAK! She loves the stuff and knows every inch of the story, etc. Well for our 2-year anniversary I had about $300 to spend, so I was thinking and thinking about something cool and personal, and landed on this: a real gold (14k) "The One Ring" custom sized to her finger size. Needless to say it was an amazing anniversary as she loved it.

Think about some things she really digs and then think about gifts that would satisfy that, but mostly ones she wouldn't expect. The rare, unusually, unexpected, yet personal gifts always leave the biggest impression. We're going on 2 years & 7 months and every I see her w/ that ring on it's an instant smile...good luck!

Jun 11, 2004 at 7:31 PM Post #11 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
What about tools..
confused.gif

OK, how about champagne in a helicopter ride that drops you at a romantic guest house in the countryside where you wine and dine her after first taking her for a leisurely horseback ride by the lake.....
icon10.gif

Sorry about that but I cant shake in my mind the picture you posted not long ago about the castle of your clan...........
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

Jun 11, 2004 at 8:48 PM Post #12 of 62
I took a suggestion from the guys here at Head-fi last year and got my wife a Spa package. There are some available in your price range. I have no idea what goes on when you send your lady off to get the spa treatment,but I know she comes home REALLY horny. Best thing I ever did for my wife,and myself.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2004 at 9:08 PM Post #13 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by genetic
Sorry about that but I cant shake in my mind the picture you posted not long ago about the castle of your clan...........
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

..that wasn't quite the guest house I was thinking of...
icon10.gif

Jun 11, 2004 at 9:24 PM Post #14 of 62
Some years ago, I found myself in a similar situation, and I decided to hand write, on plain paper, a recounting of the special moments we had enjoyed, and my thoughts about us, and our future.

I tried to use my best hand, and sometimes wrote only a few lines at a time.

I wrote and rewrote some ideas many times before using them or forgetting about them.

It all ended up on one page.

I got a presentation frame for it.

Then, I took her to a picturesque riverbank, and spread a blanket out, put down a basket of delicacies...a good bottle of champagne, some nice flutes, some linen napkins, some berries and cream, and sugar. We had a leisurely snack by the river, and I read to her the letter, while we watched the sun go down. Then I gave it to her.

She has been my wife now for over twenty years, and wherever we move, she always has me hang that letter near her side of the bed first.

It worked for me...

Jun 11, 2004 at 10:05 PM Post #15 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by KYTGuy
Some years ago, I found myself in a similar situation, and I decided to hand write, on plain paper, a recounting of the special moments we had enjoyed, and my thoughts about us, and our future.

I tried to use my best hand, and sometimes wrote only a few lines at a time.

I wrote and rewrote some ideas many times before using them or forgetting about them.

It all ended up on one page.

I got a presentation frame for it.

Then, I took her to a picturesque riverbank, and spread a blanket out, put down a basket of delicacies...a good bottle of champagne, some nice flutes, some linen napkins, some berries and cream, and sugar. We had a leisurely snack by the river, and I read to her the letter, while we watched the sun go down. Then I gave it to her.

She has been my wife now for over twenty years, and wherever we move, she always has me hang that letter near her side of the bed first.

It worked for me...

I'm happy to know that you are happily married and living far, far away from my girlfriend....
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

P.S. I must admit you're good...very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back