Girlfriends Birthday is nearing HELP
Jun 12, 2004 at 7:14 AM Post #31 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
I hear you. It's her day,but when I get mine she certainly gets hers.

I personally like to make sure she gets hers at least 10-20 times before I get mine and then again while I get mine...
biggrin.gif
Hence, I take a min of 2 hours and can happily spend the day...
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 12, 2004 at 7:17 AM Post #32 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
I personally like to make sure she gets hers at least 10-20 times before I get mine and then again while I get mine...
biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Dude,I would shut up before Jude gives you a custom title
biggrin.gif

Jun 12, 2004 at 7:32 AM Post #34 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Spoken like a true virgin
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 12, 2004 at 1:54 PM Post #38 of 62
I think a birthday is a great opportunity for a "big date" involving something kind of over-the-top or unexpected. Here are a couple of examples.

One woman I was seeing was convinced she was plain and unattractive. I hunted around for the right kind of portrait studio, met with the owners, and gave them the mission of making glamour shots that proved she was as beautiful as the way I saw her. I told her nothing in advance except to wear jeans and to bring some eveningwear along, then picked her up in the afternoon and drove her to the studio. "Take your bag and go inside, they're waiting for you, and I'll see you when you're done." Part of the photo shoot involved doing her hair and makeup, so when she came out she was fully primped and ready for an evening on the town (by this time I'd changed too). We went out to watch the sunset at a place with a great view over the water, then for dinner to the kind of restaurant where you want to go when you look like a million. Flowers were involved too, of course. (The photos came later, and they were costly...but very good.)

I did the "go inside, they're waiting for you" thing one other time, this time at a day spa when the woman I was seeing needed pampering more than primping. From the spa I took her to a restaurant where I'd secretly convened all of her best friends in a private dining room.

One year for my birthday the woman I was seeing took a blank-pages diary, hand-inked and hand-decorated the cover and the pages inside, and filled it up with beautiful laser-printed tastefully clip-arted coupons: "Join me for dinner and and evening of music, BBC Symphony Orchestra, March 1st, 7pm" "Night at the movies, your choice, anything from Jackie Chan to English Patient" "Candelight dinner - what can I tempt you with? Seafood? Pasta?" And so on, page after page. Clearly a lot of time and love had gone into it. I married her before she could get away.

Jun 12, 2004 at 5:51 PM Post #39 of 62
Wow guys!

I thought this thread would be hopeless, but your giving gold! I really like the handwritten/personalized memorable moments idea, and I think the spa package would be great as well. I had some of the ideas about jewelery, but my girlfriend is not very materialistic and would probably appreciate something more sentimental instead.

One complicator--she lives in Chicago and I live in NY and I won't be there for her birthday. We arranged for me to go up at the end of the month so that it would be right in between both of ours (can't really afford multiple trips in a one month span), but will celebrate hers 9 days late. I don't really know her city as well as she does, so I can't take her to special spots and she lives at home with a parent so I'm not sure how 3+ hours of morning sessions (though I am capable
wink.gif
) will fly.

I am thinking it might be cool to get her a vermont business women teddy bear, spa retreat and sentimental self built thing as suggested. I think that would make a wonderful combo and not break the bank.

Thanks alot guys and if you think of anything else feel free to keep it comming.

Jun 13, 2004 at 6:02 AM Post #40 of 62
I was at a whole sale shop today and happened past a watch display where I saw some Movados at really descent prices. I know she loves my watch and I am thinking of scrapping my origional idea and getting her a Movado of her own.

I guessed her gift to me correctly (accidentally) and a part of it is a trip to a high end masseuse, so I think the origionality of the spa thing is kinda dead.

What do you guys think of the watch idea? Obviously I may break budget, but she can really use a descent time piece... guys?

Jun 13, 2004 at 6:06 AM Post #41 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopher
I was at a whole sale shop today and happened past a watch display where I saw some Movados at really descent prices. I know she loves my watch and I am thinking of scrapping my origional idea and getting her a Movado of her own.

I guessed her gift to me correctly (accidentally) and a part of it is a trip to a high end masseuse, so I think the origionality of the spa thing is kinda dead.

What do you guys think of the watch idea? Obviously I may break budget, but she can really use a descent time piece... guys?

Can you get something personalized engraved on it? Preferably a reminder of some really special time? Otherwise it depends on her, I'm not a big watch fan but she might be...

Jun 13, 2004 at 6:09 AM Post #42 of 62
I think a watch is a very nice gift. The only thing is, if she's getting you a gift like that, she is very likely the type of woman who likes being pampered herself, it's one of those golden rule things... Anyway, leave a bit of extra room in the budget for some nice bath stuff or a nice lotion or something. Victoria Secret Dream Angels stuff is very nice.

Jun 13, 2004 at 6:26 AM Post #43 of 62
I wouldn't go for the watch unless it was an exceptionally good price. Otherwise, you could get her the watch any time.

Jun 13, 2004 at 6:32 AM Post #44 of 62
hmm... suprisingly little watch support.

damn birthdays... After this year I want to propose an agreement not to exchange gifts! What a pain.

you guys really don't think something like this would be good?

0605039.JPG

Jun 13, 2004 at 7:08 AM Post #45 of 62
The watch thing is fine, if it is something she'd be into. But by asking your question, I'd have to guess that it probably is not the best gift at this point. I'd go for something a little more personal, as has already been suggested. A watch is a very "safe" gift. Nice, but not inspiring. If you really want to give jewelry, I think that nice earings are more personal than a watch. But that could cost you.

Just go for something that requires more thought, and something that only you would have come up with since you know her better than anyone, and have a different connection with her than anyone. She will remember it more, and treasure it more. It's not about the $$ amount (yet
wink.gif
).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back