Girlfriend unimpressed and the ipod bud sound
Jan 29, 2006 at 7:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

]|[ GorE

500+ Head-Fier
I had my one month gf try out my Equalized Philips HP805 and the UR40 using my Pc and her ipod as the source.And she wasnt delighted or amazed or anything like that.....she said that they were slightly better than her stock ipod ear buds but they were TOO BIG and UGLY.She called the goodlooking HP805 gross.
Surprised , i tried out her ipod buds and they sound well....different.They obviously lack detail,clarity and low-bass but they dont sound at all annoying.I mean the sound is livable with....they cant distinguish between high and low bitrate mp3's.They sound well.....unique.Never heard headphones that sound like the stock buds.

Now then,she hates big phones and wants IEM/ear buds.And they only brands i can get here right now are : Sony and Panasonic.
And they have to be cheap.Currently out of pocket money.So what should i buy her ?
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2006 at 8:54 AM Post #3 of 25
nah, shes a keeper if she doesn't like the stock ibuds. if only they all hated them....

Jan 29, 2006 at 9:28 AM Post #4 of 25
Panasonic RP-HJE50, perhaps? Or Koss KSC-75, although those aren't earbuds...

580smile.gif
Abe

Jan 29, 2006 at 9:32 AM Post #5 of 25
PX100, they are at circut city and match the ipod.

Jan 29, 2006 at 9:58 AM Post #6 of 25
Creative ep630. Cheap and sound great!

Jan 29, 2006 at 10:35 AM Post #7 of 25
I'm slowly climbing the head-fi ladder, starting with the ms-1 and going onto the DT-770 now, but I've never stopped listening through my ipod buds. Its not like they sound horrible, they just don't sound as good. If the song is good, it sounds good.

Jan 29, 2006 at 10:39 AM Post #8 of 25
Jan 29, 2006 at 12:40 PM Post #10 of 25
Good IEMs from Panasonic and Sony are:

- Sony MDR-EX 71 (also available in white - for the iPod)
- Sony MDR-EX 81 (Clip-On IEM)
- Panasonic RP-HJ E 50 (there is also a sturdier version of this one, but I don't remember its model number)

Those are all quite good and cost around 30 EUR here - it doesn't get cheaper for IEMs aside from the really bad Philips SBC HE 9500. There are also numberous threads at Head-Fi about each one.

But beware that IEMs feel quite unusual/strange for someone who isn't used to them. The intense isolation certainly takes some time to get used to and cable vibrations can be a serious issue if you move around with them.

"Normal" ear-buds from Sony and Panasonic are ... problematic - I fear that there aren't any that will be much better than the iPod's stock ear-buds. I have tried a few pairs of Sony's and although I didn't hate them, I certainly wasn't impressed either.

Good luck with the choice of ear-buds AND your GF
etysmile.gif

Jan 29, 2006 at 1:23 PM Post #11 of 25
She doesnt hate the stock ipod buds .Infact they dont sound bad.They are seriously lacking in both ends of the spectrum but they dont sound bad to me.So i was thinking of getting here something better.

Jan 29, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #14 of 25
One thing audiophiles have a hard time understanding is that not everyone thinks like them. Most people don't care about differnences that they perceive as small and they won't accept any inconvenience for those perceived small changes. Secondly not everyone is conditioned to accept $100+ headphones as normal to be amazed about the value of a decent sounding pair of $20 phones.

Jan 29, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #15 of 25
You might want to have her look into the Koss KSC-75 and portaPro2. They are both $20 and sound great. I know you said IEM/ear bud...but these are GREAT headphones for $20. Ear buds suck, and you won't find a good sounding IEM for $20...it just doesn't exist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back