Girlfriend unimpressed and the ipod bud sound
Jan 29, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #16 of 25
Philips HE591s are pretty good quality buds, average spectrum and with decent bass, although im a basshead and enjoy something a little more booming, like the koss plugs. If your girlfriend doesnt listen to a lot of rap or techno, id def suggest these. They front a "surround sound" feature, which is total marketing BS because I can't hear it at all. None the less, the a very nice headphones for the price and can stand up to most $50 earbuds. You can get them at Best Buy for $20 or on ebay for as low as $8 with shipping. They also come in white or black for the ipods, and come with a case very similar to the shure cases. They are basically designed to be an upgraded IEM from the apple buds for the ipods.

26-138-012-02.JPG

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...ty=MetaEndSort

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1124432966251

Jan 29, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #17 of 25
I use to have those... they're honestyly ot IEMs. No isolation whatsoever, or any of the other things associated with IEMs.

Jan 30, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #18 of 25
yeah my bad, im not onto most of the lingo yet. I know it stands for in ear monitors, but I didn't know that ment it had to have isolation. but yeah, no isolation and a little sound leaking but not too loud. A lot like the apple buds but better sound for the price.

Jan 30, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Get a new girlfriend.
tongue.gif

ROFLOL!!!
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
tongue.gif

Jan 30, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #20 of 25
I noticed that if you push the Apple earbuds against your ears they sound A LOT better, like, surprisingly good, but no one wants to walk around doing that. Earbuds just suck, for me at least.

Mar 14, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilDwarf
About high and low bitrate mp3s: we've had discussions before about how EXTREMELY hard it is to distinguish a *well* encoded 128 kbit mp3 from the original. For your reference see here: http://www.rjamorim.com/test/multifo...sentation.html.

I thought I was the only one who though 128k AAC sounded pretty damn good in most circumstances.

As for the Apple earbuds, they don't have low bass or much detail, and they have a broad sort of midrange coloration, but they sound pleasant and sort of rich. The treble seems decent, though it's down in level. I first tried these with Le Cygne by Saint-Saens and I was startled by how good and rich the cello sounded.

Mar 17, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ]|[ GorE
I had my one month gf try out my Equalized Philips HP805 and the UR40 using my Pc and her ipod as the source.And she wasnt delighted or amazed or anything like that.....she said that they were slightly better than her stock ipod ear buds but they were TOO BIG and UGLY.She called the goodlooking HP805 gross.
Surprised , i tried out her ipod buds and they sound well....different.They obviously lack detail,clarity and low-bass but they dont sound at all annoying.I mean the sound is livable with....they cant distinguish between high and low bitrate mp3's.They sound well.....unique.Never heard headphones that sound like the stock buds.

Now then,she hates big phones and wants IEM/ear buds.And they only brands i can get here right now are : Sony and Panasonic.
And they have to be cheap.Currently out of pocket money.So what should i buy her ?
biggrin.gif

dose she care the white color? Sony MDR-EX 71 has white version..

Mar 17, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ]|[ GorE
I had my one month gf try out my Equalized Philips HP805 and the UR40 using my Pc and her ipod as the source.And she wasnt delighted or amazed or anything like that.....she said that they were slightly better than her stock ipod ear buds but they were TOO BIG and UGLY.She called the goodlooking HP805 gross.
Surprised , i tried out her ipod buds and they sound well....different.They obviously lack detail,clarity and low-bass but they dont sound at all annoying.I mean the sound is livable with....they cant distinguish between high and low bitrate mp3's.They sound well.....unique.Never heard headphones that sound like the stock buds.

Now then,she hates big phones and wants IEM/ear buds.And they only brands i can get here right now are : Sony and Panasonic.
And they have to be cheap.Currently out of pocket money.So what should i buy her ?
biggrin.gif

Geez. Why can't she buy her own stuff? You aren't even married! What a leech!
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #24 of 25
Before I gave my friend a pair of Grado SR60s a few weeks ago for his birthday, I demanded to burn his white iPod earbuds as a sacrifice.

Those things not only sound terrible, they smell terrible when they burn too.

Mar 17, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tones
Philips HE591s are pretty good quality buds, average spectrum and with decent bass, although im a basshead and enjoy something a little more booming, like the koss plugs. If your girlfriend doesnt listen to a lot of rap or techno, id def suggest these. They front a "surround sound" feature, which is total marketing BS because I can't hear it at all. None the less, the a very nice headphones for the price and can stand up to most $50 earbuds. You can get them at Best Buy for $20 or on ebay for as low as $8 with shipping. They also come in white or black for the ipods, and come with a case very similar to the shure cases. They are basically designed to be an upgraded IEM from the apple buds for the ipods.

26-138-012-02.JPG

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...ty=MetaEndSort

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1124432966251

No, no and NO! Don't get these. They are quite terrible.

I bought them on an impulse at Best Buy and they are the biggest waste of $20 I've spent. For one they are really uncomfortable and are always falling out of my ears. Secondly, the sound is EXTREMELY colored and way too boomy. Not powerful bass, but bass that just swamps everything else and ruins any detail a song might have.

When I comparied them to my lowly Altec Lansing AHS-502s (which were $20), their terrible sound became quite aparent. There wasn't even a contest, I couldn't stand listening to them anymore.

Please don't get these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back