Gilmore V2-Second chance impressions/review
Jun 13, 2003 at 2:31 AM Post #121 of 156
Tuberoller,

Let me add mine to the chorus of voices thanking you for your honest reviews.

Biggie,

I'm dying to know whether this post by you was sarcasm:

"I think you are two faced tuberoller and I think anyone who can look past your numerous acts of kindness and all the great things you have done for this community will realize that as well.

Biggie."

I took it to be obviously a very clever and funny way of letting Tube know you were on his side. Like saying, "A giraffe is an elephant, as anyone who can see past the long neck and lack of a trunk or big ears can tell you." But he and others seemed to think you were really saying he was too faced.

Jun 13, 2003 at 3:27 AM Post #122 of 156
Tuberoller,

Was the Gilmore you auditioned a fully burned-in unit? Do you think burn-in would have made a difference?

I ask because I am looking for a good HP/Pre amp. One that can do double duty for a while. I am trying to decide between the Gilmore and the Sugden Headmaster.

Thanks.

Jun 13, 2003 at 3:49 AM Post #123 of 156
Like sand thru the hour glass......
These are the days of our lives.

Jun 13, 2003 at 4:06 AM Post #124 of 156
Vert, well said, as usual
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by BoyElroy
At the risk of contradicting my earlier comment to leave well enough alone on this thread, you continue to argue with me. Is this something that you enjoy?

rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Thus am I dragged unwillingly into this feckless fray, forced to fend for myself against the angry hordes.

See above for my comment on melodrama.

Quote:

I actually have point blank asserted that some people here, like yourself, are *****footing away from the key issue that I raised, which is (again)
Do you think that it is proper and fair to make the negative comments he made regarding amps that he has not had an opportunity to audition?

You're the one missing the point here. There are TWO issues: (1) your concern about the appropriateness of Tube's comments; and (2) the appropriateness of your own comments. They are two separate issues, and you should stop treating them as the same thing.

As for issue #1, no one is "*****footing" from anything -- it's just that very few people agree with you. A number of people in this thread have answered your question: Tuberoller provided his educated opinion. Take it or leave it. I'm not going to waste my time explaining it again, as many people have already presented the position exceedingly well.

As for issue #2, I explained quite clearly in my previous post exactly why people have a problem with your early posts in this thread: You didn't disagree with his opinion; you insinuated that he had ulterior motives. You made those comments, so either admit they were inappropriate, or deal with the backlash.

Jun 13, 2003 at 4:20 AM Post #125 of 156
Youhooo!

That's the first time I see such chaos in a Head-Fi forum! It looks like a French hifi forum hahaha!

Tuberoller, you've got to be very careful when writing anything. Your words make the whole building shake!!! 7 pages of non-sense!! Guys, we should get a life, or at least get a beer
biggrin.gif

Anyhow, I'll give my support to Tuberoller because I like it when there is disparity in opinions, especially when it is sincere thinking!

Cheers,

Arnaud.

Jun 13, 2003 at 7:18 AM Post #126 of 156
orl2222
The only difference between a guy with 5000 posts and a guy with 50 posts is that the former guy had more time to burn BSing in an internet forum. If someone assumes a higher post count means a more qualified opinion, the problem is in the bad assumption, not in the phrasing of the review. Here are some random cliches that may or may not apply: Free advice is worth about what you pay for it, Opinions are likc ********: everyone has one, Buyer beware, etc. This is not a magazine. This is not a paid staff. This is people who, as a hobby and in their own free time, post their opinions about audio equipment. I know you had constructive intent in your criticism, I just think you may have misplaced the onus of responsibility and that it should lay more with the reader than the poster. Oh wait, here's another cliche: Believe half of what you see, a third of what you hear and none of what you read... no, that can't be right.

Everyone else:
We should probably start a seperate thread on whether parts upgrading can change the general character of an amplifier design. I think that'd be a cool topic, but I don't think it's worth arguing further in this thread just for the sake of slamming a reviewer you disagree with.

Jun 13, 2003 at 8:50 AM Post #127 of 156
Kelly, point well taken. I believe the majority of members do value opinions given on this board. Reasons being for the simple fact that alot of our epuipment for this hobby cannot be readily auditioned, except maybe for meets. To give you a example of this, I live in the Los Angeles area. It took me about a half hour of searching to find a non-chain owned audio store to find Grado 80's to audition.(the days of independent of audio retailers in L.A. is numbered I believe) As far as headphone amps, most of us buy through etailers. Most audio retailers here could actually care less about headphone related gear.

Correct nobody is paid like a professional magazine staff, I totally agree. I do have a subscription to Stereophile, but to be honest, most of the equipment there is way out of my league price wise. I think that's why most us of value and enjoy comments or reviews posted here, it gives us a chance to hear what others say, who share the same passion.

As far as my comment on what I consider the "legends" on this board,in a sense I do value their opinion. I know that everybody has a point of view etc. Point in case Kelly, after I read your review on the gilmore V1, I did decide to make a purchase of Gilmore then, as soon as I saved enough money.

I still do beleive that with a well designed format for reviews listing specs would be helpful. Meets I do believe are a very good idea. Antoher idea I would love to see, particularly for amps would be "loaners" where we as members would donate money for the purchase of different amps to be passed around to interested members.(I know this problably wishful thinking, would have to require deposit to a Headfi bank account to have some accountability so that the equipment does get returned) I guess that I'm suggesting this last idea due to the fact that not everybody can attend a meet. Alas I know its this isn't practical, but I could always hope and dream about it. Lastly, maybe there could be a "regional" section on the board for members to get to know each other better locally. Of course this would probably require donations, bandwidth is not cheap by any means.

Well enough of my ramblings.
Kelly thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it!

Jun 13, 2003 at 1:34 PM Post #128 of 156
SURPRISE SURPRISE.

Someone, at least one person, got his panties in a bunch over a unfavorable review on a piece of gear he owns...oh, the horror
rolleyes.gif

Jun 13, 2003 at 2:27 PM Post #129 of 156
I wanted to post in this thread at the beginning of this debacle yesterday but my internet connection was wonky and it took forever to load pages. In the long run it worked out for the best that I didn't post because people like FCJ, MacDEF and Vertigo-1 and others said all I wanted to but much more eloquently than I would have been able to.

Tube,

Thank you for an interesting and insightful review. It's really a shame that people get their knickers in such an uproar whenever someone makes a negative comment about a certain product and/or brand.

BE,

Give it a rest already, it's looks increasingly like your the only one who gives a ****. I find it absolutely ridiculous that you think someone with Tuberollers experience can't give an educated opinion but what's worse is your assumption that there was some underlying reason for them. Talk about a reach. If anyones comments in this thread were inappropriate they were yours.

Jun 13, 2003 at 4:34 PM Post #130 of 156
Quote:

Originally posted by orl2222
Kelly, point well taken. I believe the majority of members do value opinions given on this board. Reasons being for the simple fact that alot of our epuipment for this hobby cannot be readily auditioned, except maybe for meets. To give you a example of this, I live in the Los Angeles area. It took me about a half hour of searching to find a non-chain owned audio store to find Grado 80's to audition.(the days of independent of audio retailers in L.A. is numbered I believe) As far as headphone amps, most of us buy through etailers. Most audio retailers here could actually care less about headphone related gear.

Correct nobody is paid like a professional magazine staff, I totally agree. I do have a subscription to Stereophile, but to be honest, most of the equipment there is way out of my league price wise. I think that's why most us of value and enjoy comments or reviews posted here, it gives us a chance to hear what others say, who share the same passion.

As far as my comment on what I consider the "legends" on this board,in a sense I do value their opinion. I know that everybody has a point of view etc. Point in case Kelly, after I read your review on the gilmore V1, I did decide to make a purchase of Gilmore then, as soon as I saved enough money.

I still do beleive that with a well designed format for reviews listing specs would be helpful. Meets I do believe are a very good idea. Antoher idea I would love to see, particularly for amps would be "loaners" where we as members would donate money for the purchase of different amps to be passed around to interested members.(I know this problably wishful thinking, would have to require deposit to a Headfi bank account to have some accountability so that the equipment does get returned) I guess that I'm suggesting this last idea due to the fact that not everybody can attend a meet. Alas I know its this isn't practical, but I could always hope and dream about it. Lastly, maybe there could be a "regional" section on the board for members to get to know each other better locally. Of course this would probably require donations, bandwidth is not cheap by any means.

Well enough of my ramblings.
Kelly thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it!

orl222
I'm sure you're exaggerating your leap of faith slightly on purchasing the Gilmore v1. Personally, I would never buy something expensive based on one person's opinion alone--especially some random person on the internet. I'm sure you were already considering the Gilmore and had other reasons. And I think everyone should.

This hobby isn't as objective as we'd like to think it is. Two equally educated people can like completely different equipment. Think of it the way you think of cars. If I tell you the car I bought is the best car to own, would you believe me? You might believe it's the best car for me... or maybe the best car out of the cars I was able to drive. Amps are the same way.

As for the specs, I'd love to have specs published. Unfortunately, accurately measuring gear is not trivial. There are only a very few people here who can do so and frankly fewer than the number of people who claim they can. KurtW occasionally does some spec'ing for the forum but even then he wouldn't be able to vouch for quality control in a sample of one.

If you live in SoCal, I'm not sure why you can't find people to meet with.
smily_headphones1.gif
Either way, the meets forum is fine to post messages in and even if it's only a 2-person meet it's still a meet and your impressions would still be appreciated on the forum -- probably moreso, in fact. I've done this a few times with some of the locals here (Nick Dangerous, dparrish) and it's always been educational.

Jun 13, 2003 at 4:35 PM Post #131 of 156
Thanks for the review, it's really interesting to hear your thoughts on the amp! Yeah, it's too bad you didn't like it but I appreciate your honest opinion.

EDIT- No need for my long winded post.

Jun 13, 2003 at 4:50 PM Post #132 of 156
Quote:

Originally posted by Sean H
Curious to know how much time was on the amp!

Gopher was the second person to receive a V2 so I would assume there was plenty of time on it.

Jun 13, 2003 at 5:07 PM Post #133 of 156
EDIT

Jun 13, 2003 at 5:15 PM Post #134 of 156
Sean,

Gopher informs me that his V2 is well broken in.I wasn't sure myself so I played it connected to the Mucical Fidelity Trivista,which required extensive burn-in because it is a brand new unit,for about 75 hours.In total used it about 90 hours while I had it.I listened in a lot while I was burning in the MF and most of my impressions were formed during critical listening sessions.I did'nt use any switchboxes or connection or splitting devices,all the sources and amps were connected directly.

Right now my reference amp is the Singlepower Supra.It is a bit more Dynamic than the Wheatfield and has better tonality and midrange than the Max.The Supra also has bass that is very tight and is (IN MY OPINION) the best all-around headamp you can actually buy right now.I think the Wheatfield is a purist's dream and I love it to death, but it lacks the bass punch that aid dynamics.The Wheatfield was equipped with a CBS 5692 Brownbase input,Jan 6080 output(a $5.00 tube) and a Sovtek 5AU4G rectifier.The MPX and Supra were both equipped with well burned-in Electro-Harmonix 6SN7s,curently available new for about $11.00 each.The PPX3 was equipped with NOS RCAs that are widely available for $6.00. No exotic NOS tubes were used in any of the tube amps.

My room is equipped with hard-line installed conditioning,earth grounding and surge protection.I did some of the listening in my new house which has two AC power re-generators hard line installed in the listening room which provide clean,steady-state 120v at all times. I used my standard issue Quail 12/3 hospital grade power cords because upgraded power cords have shown little,if any, improvements in my system due to the purity of the incoming current.

I'm trying to answer some of the speculation as to why this unit didn't perfrom well in my system.A lot of these questions have been asked via email and I'm happy to answer them.

The V2 faced some very stiff and established competition in the amps I had around at the time.It just didn't fare well against them or on it's own.I do love some solid-state gear.That gear all performs at a level far above what the V2 did in my system,to my ears.I auditioned what I had on hand at the time and some of the amps,MPX3,Corda HA2 and Corda HA1MKII are priced right in the V2's ballpark and it just did'nt fare well.I think in the next few weeks you guys will read other reviews of the V2 that shed more,or perhaps different,light on the Gilmore V2.That's the idea here guys.

Jun 13, 2003 at 5:19 PM Post #135 of 156
Solude's intuition score +1
biggrin.gif
Now that its not Tuberoller's bias its burnin
wink.gif
The amp is in its 3rd hands, it was used for 3 weeks and burnin over periods longer than that required for thermal balance are mental filtering not equipment based. Yes companies would love it to be the other way and in some cases even claim so but its only to keep you on the drup long enough to become used to it
eek.gif

Audio isn't that different than drug use
very_evil_smiley.gif
I'm a firm believer of 48 hour continuous high level burnin, any changes after that are psychological.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back