Gilmore V2-Second chance impressions/review
Jun 13, 2003 at 5:30 PM Post #136 of 156
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
I auditioned what I had on hand at the time and some of the amps,MPX3,Corda HA2 and Corda HA1MKII are priced right in the V2's ballpark and it just did'nt fare well.

eek.gif
bested even by the Corda HA-1 MKII! Now answer my question about your prefered amp with the Beyer 880 for rock
biggrin.gif
Try to keep me from falling out of my chair from cost overload though
wink.gif

Jun 13, 2003 at 6:54 PM Post #137 of 156
Quote:

originally posted by kelly
This hobby isn't as objective as we'd like to think it is. Two equally educated people can like completely different equipment.

Very, very true. The best you can do is read the opinions (on audio gear
wink.gif
) and find those people whose tastes/preferences seem to most closely resemble your own, and then pay special attention to their comments on gear.

Jun 13, 2003 at 6:54 PM Post #138 of 156
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
My room is equipped with hard-line installed conditioning,earth grounding and surge protection.I did some of the listening in my new house which has two AC power re-generators hard line installed in the listening room which provide clean,steady-state 120v at all times.

notworthy.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 13, 2003 at 7:00 PM Post #139 of 156
Thanks Tuberoller. Sounds like the amp had some decent time on it. I'd be curious to know exactly how much time was actually on it though. Some people listen for a couple hours a day and over a months time that really is not a whole lot of hours. But, Gopher likely had a good amount of time on it, I'm guessing.

Anyway, let's let that rest. Thanks again for your review, I'll surely be reading it a couple more times.

Solude- I am usually not one who goes on and on about break-in, especially with amplifiers. It does seem rather odd or silly that the sonics would still be changing 1-200 hours in but in the case of the Gilmore I definitely heard a marked improvement at 150 hours for sure. I'd be willing to accept that it could be psychological, I wouldn't argue that, but I am equally interested in the idea it was not.

Jun 13, 2003 at 10:40 PM Post #141 of 156
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Vertigo, so far you've captured my exact feelings best. Well said!
smily_headphones1.gif

Ditto!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 13, 2003 at 10:51 PM Post #142 of 156
Quote:

Originally posted by orl2222

I still do beleive that with a well designed format for reviews listing specs would be helpful.

Another thing that I believe is critical to a review is to list in detail what the reviewer is using as their reference system. If you cannot gage what the reviewer is comparing it to it is hard to make any real judgments about a review.

Jun 13, 2003 at 11:02 PM Post #143 of 156
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
The best you can do is read the opinions (on audio gear
wink.gif
) and find those people whose tastes/preferences seem to most closely resemble your own, and then pay special attention to their comments on gear.

Truer words were never spoken. Both Hirsch and Tuberoller have (and admire, obviously) the Supra, which helped influence my decision to go with the CPX3 and now the MPX3. Basically, I let them do all the hard work and I reap all the benefits.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2003 at 11:10 PM Post #144 of 156
FCJ: Me too, thanks Hirsch, and Tuberoller.
john_jcb: 100%, If I don't have an Idea on the reviewers reference point the review is pretty hard to get a grip on.
MacDEF: I also agree with you. And add this to it. The reviewers who here things completely opposite of what I here help me alot too.

Jun 14, 2003 at 4:24 PM Post #145 of 156
Had left this thread for awhile thinking/hoping that the invective would die down but alas, the vitriol of the jumpers-on has left me more than a little po'd.

Statix:

Quote:

Um, you're the one who said that you would voluntarily withdraw from the thread (but I knew you wouldn't). Just because you do something, everybody else has to follow suit?

Shaddap

--Statix

Statix, not to get too personal here, but I certainly hope you're a kid because there's no other way to excuse this sort of comment on these boards.

I am disappointed to see how the pc police here has distorted and intimidated dissenting voices here.

I've received several messages of support in private basically saying they at least understand the very focused and legitimate point I was raising but felt a bit too intimidated to respond publicly. Comments like the one above by Statix are a good case in point.

Jun 14, 2003 at 5:36 PM Post #146 of 156
The completely unjustifiable, unwarranted and absurd personal attacks on Tuberoller that have been made in this thread, based on what I found to be a very honest review, absolutely disgust me.
I have never known Tuberoller to provide a less than excellent, thoughtful, and yes, completely honest review, as he sees it. What more is it possible to do? This man has had access to much more headphone audio equipment, sources, cables and amps than most of us ever will and speaks from that level of expertise. Having had the pleasure of meeting him, I also have learned that I trust his ears as much as anyone. Several of you have more than obvious agendas which are blatantly clear to the rest of us.
Thankfully, I will never again have to see your comments here, as I have blocked you forever.

JC

Jun 14, 2003 at 6:40 PM Post #148 of 156
Kelly- Damn well we could. How do you define 'wet' exactly? Wet is a quality that's applied to an object that is covered in or soaked full of water. Water ain't wet; to be wet you need an object that normally isn't fluid. Is oil wet? No, even if it's floating on water...

Jun 14, 2003 at 8:01 PM Post #149 of 156
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
Wet is a quality that's applied to an object that is covered in or soaked full of water. .

Which reminds me of particle man...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back