Gilmore V2-Second chance impressions/review
Jun 12, 2003 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 156

Tuberoller

Divorced an Orpheus to keep his wife.
It's rare that I'll feel guilty about something I've said or written but I felt bad about the negative things I said about the Gilmore V2 based on my impressions at the NY meet.I don't like to make judgements based on an audition performed under "meet conditions" and we all know those conditions to be less than ideal and I just wanted to give the V2 an opportunity to perform in the best conditions I could provide.For various reasons,that I won't get in to,I decided the best way to procure a review unit was to borrow one from a head-fi member.Gopher accepted my offer of a gear swap and is now playing with the Singlepower MPX3 as I write this about his Gimore V2,Thanks again Gopher.

I'm sure by now you all know my listening preferences.I like the tube sound but I'm not indifferent to well executed solid state amplification and preamplification.I happen to own several solid state head amps and have many others at my disposal.I have heard nearly all of the currently available headamps, most of them in my own systems.I prefer to audition amps in my system with my own phones and sources,as I'm sure we all do.I know the idea of the meets is to get an opportunity to hear a bunch of gear you don't own and want to hear but ultimate judgement must be reserved until the gear is auditioned properly.

I'll list all the gear used in this "review" as well as other amps that were on hand during my time with the Gilmore V2 and were used for comparison purposes.

Sources: -
VPI Extended Aries W/Sumiko Blackbird Cartridge
Musical Fidelity Trivista SACD Player(It's borrowed........I wish)
Philips DVD963SA
Musical Fidelity A324 DAC

Phones: -
HD600/Equinox 10 foot cable
Grado RS1
Beyer DT880
Beyer DT931
Grado RS80

Cables/Interconnects: -

Acoustic Zen WOW!
Meier Audio prototype 1 meter IC
Audioquest Diamondback

Amplification:
Headroom Max w/stepped attenuator
Ray Samuels Audio Emmeline HR2
Ray Samuels Audio Prototype Battery powered portable amp
Meier Audio Prehead LM version
Meier Audio HA-2
Meier Audio HA-1 MKII
Headroom Cosmic/reference module
Grado RA1
JMT Maxed META42
Wheatfield HA2
Singlepower Audio Supra
Singlepower Audio MPX3
SinglePower Audio PPX3

I listened to so much different music over the three weeks I had the Gilmore V2 I can't possibly list it all but I used music I am very familar with and the same music I use when listening critically.

When I first heard the V2 I was immediately turned off by what seemed to be a dry presentation lacking any depth or involvement.It seemed to be amplifying sound and not making music.This is what I find some loudspeaker amps,specifically Krell and Mark Levinson, guilty of.I had no idea the the amp's designer Kevin Gilmore uses a Krell and Wilson speaker based system.When I compared the V2 to a Krell amp I did so to convey my feeling that this amp mimicked the Krell sound to a great degree. At home the Gilmore V2 added a bit of dimension to it's presentation.The V2 certainly has punch and the ablity to drive just about any phone but I felt it lacked the ability to drive those phones with finesse' and agility.In my system the Gilmore further demonstrated the power and punch to drive all the phones I threw at it but still seemed to muscle the phones around.Bass is deep and punchy on most digital recordings I played but lacks good lower frequency seperation.This one-note bass causes poor instrument seperation, making drums and bass guitar sound the same.At lower levels the bass becomes completely muddy and the overlapping of instruments is so bad that you are forced to listen at higher volume levels to really distinguish the music in the lower frequencies.This just kills the low-level detail which I place a great emphasis on.The best amps,(Emmeline,Prehead,MPX3,Max) get the low level detail right and allow the listener to enjoy music without playing it at very high volume levels.

In the midrange,and especially with the analog recordings the V2 can get congested and causes slight overlapping of instruments,similar to the lower frequency congestion.The midrange opens up nicely on tracks that feature a lot of midbass and lower midrange percussions.There is no haze in the midrange and voices are rendered very nicely on most female vocal recordings.The problems become evident with husky-voiced singers which include most males and some females.On those recordings the V2 tends to blend the huskiness, or depth of that voice in with the instruments,instead of offering the vocals on their own.Piano tracks are reproduced nicely on most of the phones with the strange and very evident exception of both the Grados.On the RS1 piano notes sound sharp and very harsh,almost painful.With the RS80 the V2 makes piano music impossible.This harshness is present on all my sources except the Analog rig.On SACD recordings the V2 failed to hash out the midrange details that make the jump to higher resolution formats so obvious.With the Rolling Stones reissues the SACD layer sounded nearly the same as the redbook layer I listened a bunch and the V2 just made it difficult to hear.I asked my Dad to listen to this as well and he agreed that the V2 did not do a good job of serving up the SACD plate.The HR2,Supra and MPX3 seemed very well suited to high resoultion playback and switching between the redbook and SACD layers of those same discs made huge sonic differences.

The V2 has very good treble detail and accuracy.All music reproduced in the upper frequencies sounds like music.There is space and air up there and except for the upper piano notes all is well.There is no grainy texture and on the redbook digital recordings with a lot of treble extension, the V2 gets it right.It gets a little hairy sounding and can get harsh with some of the SACDs and bright sounding LPs I used but nothing uncomfortable or painful to speak of.Only with the Grados did things seem as dry as I remember at the NYC meet.The decay and extension is great up high but we all know that this is not where most of the music is.

See guys,this is what I mean when I describe and amp or CDP that just does'nt draw you in.I could have written this review in these same words two days after I got this amp.I fell asleep several times while listening to the V2 and I almost never do that.I'd put on a record and later wake up to the stylus hitting the margins.I don't know if we would call what I experienced "fatigue" but the V2 sure didn't do much to keep me awake.The Gilmore failed to involve me in the music like the great amps do and fell way short of giving me the feeling that something special was about to happen.I want to say that the very good treble performance was somehow capable of swaying my impressions of this amp but a bad midrange performance is a death sentence to me.Get that wrong and little else matters.The Gilmore V2 does not perform at the level of the best solid-sate amps that it tagets and at $500 faces some serious,very stiff competition from amps like the MPX3, the upcoming Emmeline battery amp or the Meier HA-1MKII.I doubt that offered upgrades such as stepped attenuators and power supplies would bring this amp to the level of performance of the HR2 or Meier HA2.Ultimately I'd have to say that the V2 was a disappointment for me.I know that many owners love and enjoy this amp but it just didn't suit my tastes.

Jun 12, 2003 at 8:18 AM Post #2 of 156
Thanks Tuberoller, I'm always glad to see an honest opinion - there is alot of "brand loyalty" that goes on here, users rarely rarely say bad things about product they own or have owned. But I do notice (as in this case) - users can be ruthless with borrowed equipment
biggrin.gif

I just have to say, that's a disgusting amount of amps. But, I do believe that puts you in one of the top positions to review them.

And Gopher, we wanna see your impressions of the MXP3 too!!

-dd3mon

Jun 12, 2003 at 8:25 AM Post #3 of 156
Too bad I have to send all these amps back soon.They look so nice in my room.
biggrin.gif
I want to keep them all.

I hope I have never been guilty of "brand loyalty" but who knows.I know I'm not loyal to any audio product.You'll never see me participating in one of those HD600 vs. the world threads that Macdef seems to cherish
biggrin.gif
.I did have fun with the Pilips HP890 thing a while back but I hope I vindicated myself by offereing the phones up for review to other members.

As far as being brutally honest with borrowed gear,I have done the same with my own gear,Marantz SA14,Linn LP12,Philips HP890,Headroom Airhead.Ownership does not exempt gear from my axe.

Jun 12, 2003 at 8:41 AM Post #4 of 156
I didn't mean to imply you were at all guilty of this, in fact quite the opposite. Your reviews are usually a breath of fresh air compared to the 100% praise or total silence (followed by a for sale ad) routes that many users choose.

-dd3mon

Jun 12, 2003 at 8:42 AM Post #5 of 156
Disagreeing with popular opinion can be a difficult thing on these boards, even though (as I've learned in the past week or so) we all hear differently, and people hear VERY differently. So one man's reference amp is another man's bookshelf stereo, yet they're both right. Funny how that works...

Jun 12, 2003 at 9:27 AM Post #6 of 156
Tuberoller,

antness told me a couple of weeks ago that he had asked you if he could send a Gilmore V2 amp to the California meet, but that you ignored his offer. He asked me if I would be going to the meet, since I have a Gilmore V2 (waiting for a V2-SE), but unfortunately I live in socal. I was wondering why you would ignore the offer, when surely there were some members at that meet who were interested in hearing the amp? Why would you review the amp but not want to give other Head-Fiers the chance to hear it at a meet?

-gtecx

Jun 12, 2003 at 11:44 AM Post #7 of 156
Tuberoller,

What tubes did you (or are you) using with the MPX3?

Jun 12, 2003 at 11:47 AM Post #8 of 156
I think this guy is a candidate for my MIG amp.

4 x 6c33 completely dc coupled circlotron like fully
balanced output...

boards available sometime after the blue hawaii boards
are done.

(not a cheap unit to build)

Jun 12, 2003 at 1:12 PM Post #9 of 156
Tuberoller, You state that the V2 has Krell like tendencies, but the faults you find in the amp are completely un-Krell like.(poor low level detail, one note bass, lacks good lower frequency seperation and sounds congested) I have not heard the V2, but have heard alot of Krell and havn't heard these problams in any of it. Is it just the "dry" sound you are refering to? I only have the Krell comparison to go by in this review and can't believe you find any Krell lacking in the lower frequences, or find them muddy sounding. I have read others that find them on the dry side.

Jun 12, 2003 at 2:43 PM Post #11 of 156
Quote:

Originally posted by GTecX
antness told me a couple of weeks ago that he had asked you if he could send a Gilmore V2 amp to the California meet, but that you ignored his offer. He asked me if I would be going to the meet, since I have a Gilmore V2 (waiting for a V2-SE), but unfortunately I live in socal. I was wondering why you would ignore the offer, when surely there were some members at that meet who were interested in hearing the amp? Why would you review the amp but not want to give other Head-Fiers the chance to hear it at a meet?

interesting.

interesting read. i haven't heard meier's new amps and i grow more and more interested in them all the time. not sure i agree with everything stated, but i'm hoping to fully formulate my thoughts about the gilmore v2 very soon.

Jun 12, 2003 at 3:32 PM Post #12 of 156
Quote:

I doubt that offered upgrades such as stepped attenuators and power supplies would bring this amp to the level of performance of the HR2 or Meier HA2--Tuberoller

Hmmnn....seems like a pretty polarizing thing to say! Nothing against Tuberoller personally, but I wonder what the point of such a comment is other than to disparage (unnecessarily, imho) the Gilmore circuit.

Unfortunately, I have doubts about the true impartiality of such a review.

Jun 12, 2003 at 3:53 PM Post #13 of 156
So basicly tuberoller thinks gilmore v2 is to neutral and wants his amps to be colorfull as rainbow...

Jun 12, 2003 at 4:10 PM Post #14 of 156
Overkill attenuation and more reserve power do not improve an amp in the way that would be required at low listening levels for Tuberoller's experience to change. Those are changes that offer that last 1% and for PS only at levels with demands that are greater than the current PS.

Anyway enough Tuberoller defense. What headphone were these references made with? You list the ones you have but for the low and mid problems was the headphone crucial or did the problem follow the amp?

Curious to get your opinion on which amp is a good match for the Beyer 880 for mostly rock(Dave Matthews), some jazz(Holly Cole) and some heavier stuff(Disturbed). Let me know.

My preference in the speaker world has always been Aragon and Anthem(hybrid stuff, not pure tube) for what its worth.

Jun 12, 2003 at 4:11 PM Post #15 of 156
Quote:

Originally posted by KJ869
So basicly tuberoller thinks gilmore v2 is to neutral and wants his amps to be colorfull as rainbow...

confused.gif
I just re-read Tuberoller's comments and I don't think he's saying that at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back