Gilmore Lite PSU - Finally
Dec 19, 2004 at 4:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jxb2

100+ Head-Fier
Liked my Gilmore Lite with wallwart. Very good SS, especially regarding punch. With PSU that arrived today, not the "small" improvement Justin promises: rather, like going from an Adcom to a Classe. What was there is still there, but now effortless, liquid like tubes except for instrumental timbre (tubes just get it better).

You can live w/o psu, but why?

Also, getting no help from anyone regarding X-CAN V3 PSU alternative, so I ordered the overpriced unit from MF. If it does what Gilmore psu did, I'll need two heads and four ears. Add a head and ears for the Woo3, another lovely recent toy. And the Woo does respond to brass cones and good wires.

Gilmore needs some form of mass before cones make sense - Yes? So light I could tape string to it and suspend it from cieling. Any thoughts on good source of mass for Gilmore (it is tiny and light) other than bags of lead shot I took outof my Legacy Focus speakers' woofer basket (I put it there, 100 lb., could not bear to have purchaser not know).

Dec 19, 2004 at 5:07 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jxb2
Liked my Gilmore Lite with wallwart. Very good SS, especially regarding punch. With PSU that arrived today, not the "small" improvement Justin promises: rather, like going from an Adcom to a Classe. What was there is still there, but now effortless, liquid like tubes except for instrumental timbre (tubes just get it better).

You can live w/o psu, but why?

My thoughts exactly. Once I heard it I realized I couldn't go back!
600smile.gif

Dec 19, 2004 at 5:16 AM Post #3 of 10
jxb2 wrote: "You can live w/o psu, but why?"

Exactly. I found similar results when going from wal wart to PSU. The GL+PSU is as unique a >$500.00 USD find as the Emmeline SR-71... both great, quite different amps and both unbelievable bargains!...
icon10.gif

Dec 19, 2004 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 10
alright, common. i can see an amp MAYBE making a difference in sound, but a psu? the only thing you can do with that is make for more stable voltages, correct? i think there is a point when the money you spend on certain things makes it sound better, not the product itself. however i must attest that i have not listened to it myself, so i guess i could be wrong. but that is a lot of money for a psu, especialy considering a HIGH grade psu for a computer will run you about $100

Dec 19, 2004 at 7:12 PM Post #6 of 10
What's a PSU?

Dec 19, 2004 at 7:37 PM Post #8 of 10
BTW, what are the dimensions of the Gilmore Lite PSU? The dimensions of the gilmore lite are posted at Headamp, but I cannot find the size of its PSU.

And, even tho likely mentioned elsewhere, for those who bought the Gilmore Lite + PSU, what was the rationale for buying this combo over the Gilmore V2, which is only $70 more.

EDIT: I see my question more or less answered in this thread:
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...highlight=lite

thx, - walkman666

Dec 20, 2004 at 4:56 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blahh
alright, common. i can see an amp MAYBE making a difference in sound, but a psu? the only thing you can do with that is make for more stable voltages, correct?

Probably contained in the tangent link provided by 00940, but consider that once you hit the first gain stage, you essentially are listening to the PSU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back