Gilmore/HD580 vs Stax Lambda/SRM1 (K601/K701 future?)
Dec 14, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #46 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by fmplautus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree that the K1000 is the most remarkable headphone (earspeakers) in the world, but I strongly disagree that the K1000 is "incredible...only if they are properly cabled and amplified."

I guess we can argue about what is "proper," but in my opinion
if you can't hear what is remarkable about the K-1000 with the stock cable, and driven through any properly operating intergrated amplifier or receiver capable of producing 10 clean watts, then don't bother. You will be better off with conventional phones.

The K1000 is the most amazing audio transducer I have ever encountered, but it shouldn't be reserved for the audiophile priesthood, or only for those with deep pockets. You can get in on the fun with a pair of the K1000, an iPod and the little digital T-amp, and radio shack wire. In fact you can have a great time shaking your ass off, dancing and giggling at those who've dropped thousands on esoteric systems and don't get nearly so close as lucky you and your humble 'pod shuffle hooked up to grandma's Sansui and the red bird cage.

The AKG K-1000 is a miracle of engineering and market defiance. It don't need no gee-haw, diamond studed Elvis buckles, lizard skin cowboy boots, pure silver baubles and bangles or even audiophile priesthood piercings or back floggings to do its stuff. Just clean out the ear wax, and kick off the shoes and don't worry about all the laughing going on about that ridiculous thing on your head.

k1000smile.gif

I guess that we will have to agree to disagree.

The amount of time, energy and money that head-fiers spend on headphones, sources, DACs, cables, etc., tweaks of every kind have turned this into quite an enjoyable hobby. If I just wanted a "plug & play" experience, I doubt that I would have the interest and the passion to invest so heavily in time and money in pursuit of the best sound possible.

To each his own.
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back