Getting to know you – a Head-Fi questionnaire
Jul 1, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]If you could share one piece of advice to a newbie getting into the hobby it would be this:[/size][/size]

[size=small]Another thing that I would like to point out is that while reviews can be helpful, I have found that opinions are not that important and sometimes, they can be counterproductive. I discovered that some of the really popular stuff did not fit my taste. I highly recommend that you audition with your reference CDs at headphone meets or where ever. In the end, it's your own opinion that counts.[/size]

Jul 1, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #17 of 23
[size=medium]What is the best rig you’ve assembled, past or present?[/size]
[size=small]I wouldn't call anything a rig, I have a couple portable sources and a few pairs of headphones that I switch between.  If I had to chose it would be the Samsung Galaxy 4.2 and V-Moda M80.[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium]What was your favorite thing about that rig?[/size]
[size=medium]I guess that it is flexible; I can browse Spotify, listen to NPR, watch videos on Youtube and download podcasts without needing to sync with a computer.  It sounds great and is very easy to browse my large collection using PowerAmp.[/size]

[size=medium]What is your favorite headphone (regardless of price)?  Why?[/size]
[size=small]Probably the MEElectronics M6.  I mostly listen with headphones while I'm out of the house, and these are perfect for me on the go.  They're not amazing, but they isolate well and are durable enough that I don't need to worry about tossing them in a pocket or bag.  There's so much noise outside in the city that using better headphones isn't going to accomplish a whole lot for me.[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium]What got you into headphones?[/size]
[size=medium]My first MP3 player, the Creative Zen MicroPhoto.[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium]Where and when do you find yourself listening to headphones the most?[/size]
Mostly on the go, as answered above.  Sometimes when I'm working on stuff around the house.
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium]What was your first WOW moment in headphone hi-fi?[/size]
[size=small]First hearing a faint patter of drums in the second or third track of The Fellowship of the Ring soundtrack, on the Grado SR60s.[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium]What is the “thing” you listen for most in headphones? (e.g. quality of bass, midrange, clarity)[/size]
[size=small]Mostly the clarity with lack of harshness.[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium]Share a Head-Fi confession.  Put your Head-Fi cred on the line and tell us something quirky and unique about your tastes, your rig, etc.[/size]
[size=small]I prefer the Galaxy Player to the Cowon J3.  I can't tell the difference in sound at all, and the quality of the software and interface is miles better.[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium]If you could share one piece of advice to a newbie getting into the hobby it would be this:[/size]
[size=small]Don't give in to upgraditis.  If you are happy with what you've got, save your money.  [/size]

Jul 4, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #18 of 23
What is the best rig you’ve assembled, past or present?
I'm pretty new, so I'll have to say FLAC -> Media Monkey-> AudioBox USB -> Jaycar Pro Monitors

What was your favorite thing about that rig?
It's just as good for creating music as it is for enjoying it. Not many rigs have that distinction.

What is your favorite headphone (regardless of price)?  Why?
My favorite headphone that I own is the Jaycars. Having said that, if someone offered me some Stax in a trade for them...

What got you into headphones?
Pure necessity. I'm a hobbyist music producer, but I live with my mother in a manufactured home community that has thin walls, close together houses, and very strict noise regulations. I needed something that would allow me to adequately produce while not disturbing the neighbors.

Where and when do you find yourself listening to headphones the most?
At home in the office/studio. Typically at night.

What was your first WOW moment in headphone hi-fi?
My first WOW moment was when I caught myself checking my face for spit while listening to a vocal passage where the vocal really put a lot of force behind a TTTT sound. As much love/hate as the ATH-M50s get around here, they are definitely responsible for this one. 

What is the “thing” you listen for most in headphones? (e.g. quality of bass, midrange, clarity)
The "thing" I'm really paying attention to is if sonic characteristics of the headphone are distracting me from listening to the music. After a bit of time for mental burn-in, if I'm still catching myself thinking about the headphone while I'm listening to music through it, it's not doing its job.

Share a Head-Fi confession.  Put your Head-Fi cred on the line and tell us something quirky and unique about your tastes, your rig, etc.

I'm never really satisfied with having just one headphone. I'd much rather have several that have distinct sonic characteristics, and pick a headphone to match my music and how I want to listen to it.

If you could share one piece of advice to a newbie getting into the hobby it would be this:
The overtone series! Every note and instrument has "overtones", which are indistinguishable pitches that are "higher" in sound than the distinguishable note. These overtones are responsible for the timbre (sound characteristics) of an instrument. This means that in order to get an accurate sounding bass (the instrument, not the frequencies), you need accurate sounding mids/treble, as the overtones will be in the mids and treble.

Jul 4, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #19 of 23
[size=small]meh, current one.[/size]
[size=small]Computer S/PDIF out--> Optical toslink cable-->Audio Gd NFB 12.1 DAC fixed line out-->Denko RCA cable-->Objective 2[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=small]IT being clean I guess but also can be dark hitting if I just use the NFB alone.[/size]

[size=medium]What is your favorite headphone (regardless of price)?  Why?[/size]
[size=medium]AKG Q701?[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium]Need for better audio...and head-fi[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium]Where and when do you find yourself listening to headphones the most?[/size]
[size=medium]Actual headphones or earphones?... If it's just actual "head"phones then at home at my computer where my rig is located. If "headphones" includes earphones and the likes then.....anywhere I have my earphones.[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=small]Listening to my first DAC the E17 with STAX and Ultrasone Demo CD[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium]What is the “thing” you listen for most in headphones? (e.g. quality of bass, midrange, clarity)[/size]
[size=medium]Quality of everything I guess but mainly vocals. I am biased towards vocals and like them to be forward and clear![/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium]Share a Head-Fi confession.  Put your Head-Fi cred on the line and tell us something quirky and unique about your tastes, your rig, etc.[/size]
[size=medium]I listen to everything as well. It could be japanese or american screamo, death metal to hard rock to rock to classic rock and then alternative rock to popular R&B and pop and rap and hip hop and jazz, and classical and etc etc. And especially EDM and Asian music[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium]If you could share one piece of advice to a newbie getting into the hobby it would be this:[/size]
[size=small]... Learn to deflect information. Lots of "noise" on head-fi.[/size]

Jul 4, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #20 of 23
Really cool thread idea.

[size=medium][size=medium]What is the best rig you’ve assembled, past or present?[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]Probably my iPod LOD to the Schiit Asgard to either the Monitor 10's or the A900s.[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]What was your favorite thing about that rig?[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]I love this rig with the Monitor 10s. An excellent balanced sound, I always thought they were a great combination.[/size][/size]

[size=medium][size=medium]What is your favorite headphone (regardless of price)?  Why?[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]Pioneer Monitor 10. Detail, nice instrument separation, and I like the soundstage. Block a nice bit of noise and are comfortable. And I love old stuff that performs well.[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]What got you into headphones?[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]I've listened to headphones as long as I can remember. I was a kid with my little Fisher Price cassette player walking around with Green Day's Dookie album in there, with some dollar store headphones my mom would get me. I used to break them all the time, and my mom used to get mad at me. Lol.[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]Where and when do you find yourself listening to headphones the most?[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]At night in my room while browsing the web. I do try to set aside some specific music listening time, but it doesn't usually happen all that often.[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]What was your first WOW moment in headphone hi-fi?[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]When I listened to Blink 182's 'All The Small Things' on my dads HD280s, and 'being able to hear the bass not muddy or anything, and not just the note attack but the entire thing'. Lol.[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]What is the “thing” you listen for most in headphones? (e.g. quality of bass, midrange, clarity)[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]Probably the bass, to make sure it isn't too much, then make sure the whole headphone has enough clarity. Detail I guess.[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]Share a Head-Fi confession.  Put your Head-Fi cred on the line and tell us something quirky and unique about your tastes, your rig, etc.[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]I enjoy Nicki Minaj's music. Lol. But it's only a few songs. Also, I love the Pioneer SE-50. I know they're old school and most people would say they're trash, by todays standards at least, but I adore them. I think the technology put into them for the time was great, and honestly, I love them for some music. Surprisingly a lot of metal I like on these. Who would have thought. [/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]If you could share one piece of advice to a newbie getting into the hobby it would be this:[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]I guess the one piece of advice is listen to your ears. That to me is the most important part. I think sometimes that price plays too important of a role in this. I'm not saying really expensive headphones aren't worth it. That would be silly of me. I'm just saying to listen to a piece of gear before judging it. Like me and my SE-50, I found something really great in something that most people might have thrown out in the trash.[/size][/size]

Jul 5, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #21 of 23
[size=medium]Bencmark DAC1 - Sciit Lyr - HifiMAN HE-6[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium]clarity, smoothness, fullness of sound, spatial-soundstage-stuff[/size]

[size=medium]LCD-3 - looks and sounds great[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=small]A guy I went to high school with said they were an affordable path to good sound and directed me to head-fi.[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium]Home[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium]listening to the Denon AH-D5000 for first time.[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium]quality of bass, clarity, separation of sounds.[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium]I.... I'm done with headphones. sold it all except my DAC1 and am going fully speakers. Its more practical now, with more potential. Also, my musical tastes include some really low-fi and really "bad" things that some people o na site like this would just be appalled that I use my expensive audiophile gear to "listen to that?!" Yes, I like anime-inspired Japanese pop/happy-hardcore. I put black metal like Xasthur through my rig and enjoy the scratchy, muddy, muted, muffled, horrible sound more than you could imagine. I'd sometimes rather test a new rig with The Cranberries and the Cardigans than King Crimson or Pink Floyd.[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium]Don't believe that the most expensive headphone you've tried is "about as good as it gets." Unless you've actually tried summit-fi stuff with a response curve that fits your tastes, don't make assumptions about diminishing returns and where they start and how steep they are. Go to a meet and try things yourself.[/size]

Jul 7, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #22 of 23
[size=small]Apple Lossless Audio files / MP3 files (320 kbps) -> iTunes -> Amarra Hifi -> JPS Labs Ultraconductor Optical Digital Cable -> Lavry DA10 -> Moon Audio Black Dragon Cable (single-endled) -> Sennheiser HD 800[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]What was your favorite thing about that rig?[/size][/size]
[size=small]The sheer clarity of the HD 800 works impactfully well with whatever music I feed it. [/size]

[size=medium][size=medium]What is your favorite headphone (regardless of price)?  Why?[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]Of the headphones I've heard, my favourite is probably the Sennheiser Orpheus. When I heard it, it simply revealed the music in an almost magical-sounding way that just sounded right.[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]What got you into headphones?[/size][/size]
[size=small]Wanting to listen to music in private without disturbing anyone. [/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]Where and when do you find yourself listening to headphones the most?[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]At my computer rig late at night or when out walking with my iPhone.[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]What was your first WOW moment in headphone hi-fi?[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]When I first heard the Sennheiser HD 800. I was surprised at the sheer clarity with which it revealed musical details.  [/size][/size]

[size=medium][size=medium]What is the “thing” you listen for most in headphones? (e.g. quality of bass, midrange, clarity)[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]Clarity and tonality, and a natural well-balanced presentation; the ability to reveal what's on recordings in a way that's as close as possible to what I would hear if I was listening to a live concert performance in person, or, similarly, listening to a playback on high-end studio monitors in a high-end studio control room.[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]Share a Head-Fi confession.  Put your Head-Fi cred on the line and tell us something quirky and unique about your tastes, your rig, etc.[/size][/size]
[size=small]Though I mostly use high-end Sennheiser HD series headphones and the Amperior for portable use these days, I still very much enjoy the Apple In-Ear Headphones (the newer model) I have. When I was analysing and writing about the sound of my headphones a lot a few months ago, I just ended up stuck in my thinking and wasn't hearing - nor enjoying - the music very much. When I took a break from analysing and went to a local cafe and listened to something with my Apple In-Ears, I forgot about the headphones and found myself 'there' with the music. I could live with my Apple In-Ears and iPhone, but I am very grateful to have the head-fi equipment I currently own.[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=small]Trust your own ears - your own enjoyment is what matters, not what other people think.[/size]

Jul 8, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #23 of 23
I don't know. At the moment the CDP-750+LD Mark V+HD250/K500 sounds very good to me yet the H10(20gb)/K181 also works very well. I am working on a definitive set up though. 
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=small]It's mine...[/size]

I must choose the K181. It's cheaper than the the HD25 and DT1350. I even had the DT1350 for a month and still I preferred the K181. For my needs it's just perfect. 
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=small]Not wanting to disturb the neighbours. [/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=small]On the move, when travelling. [/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=small]The first listen with my first headphone, the V6.[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=small]The right balance between lows, mids and highs combined with a good stereo image. I don't like headphones that sound "too closed".[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=small]Digital music is great but I still prefer being able to hold the music bearer in my hand thus if ever possible I want a serious vinyl and CD set up.[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=small]Cherish your hearing ability and trust your own ears. Just dig for what you like and develop your own audio taste. [/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back