Getting started with Computer audio
Aug 22, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #17 of 33
Define real music 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 I would say genres like Classical and Jazz. I listen to rock and metal mainly, but some of the bands in those genre's I wouldn't really classify their music as 'real' music. Some of them are pure garbage (won't say any names tho 
tongue.gif
). 

I use the following headphones for the following genre's:

K1000: Classical, Jazz, Trance
DT880: Rock, Metal
HF-2: Rock, Metal, Jazz

DT880 are still my favourite...HF-2 I may sell soon. 

Sorry for OT, OP lol. 

Aug 22, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #18 of 33
Well, I'm mostly a dance/trance/pop/hiphop kind of guy, mostly in reverse order.

I certainly love to listen to music on the DT770Pro/80, even more so on Darth Beyers 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 but that's when I want to distract myself from what I'm actually doing (like work) with some serious head-bobbing music.  When I want to lean back in a chair and really take everything in, Grado HP-2 all the way baby!  Nothing gives me the same feeling of being lost in the music and completely powerless to do nothing but enjoy it.  Noticed myself listening to a lot more modern music with classical instruments with these.  Really like Bond, loved some of Alanis Morissette, enjoyed Maksim Mrvica, but still really enjoy putting on a great 2Pac track, rocking out to System of a Down or chilling through a song by Jem.

Aug 22, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #19 of 33
Haha, you must love your bass, like Skylab. I have tried DT880 with the leather earpads, they were disgusting lol. Sounded very dark (probably because of all the bass overtaking the rest of the frequencies). I am definitely not a bass head it seems. I tend to prefer tight, clean bass than extends very far, but isn't too prominent. Detailed mids that aren't recessed in any way and slightly rolled off high's. I am more of an All That Remains, Metallica, Midnight Oil, AC/DC, Iron Maiden listener. 

Aug 22, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #20 of 33
Wow, thanks for all the advice, sounds like I have some investigation to do, but know what to look for now.

I might put together another desktop, (I still have parts for 4 more) and give him a core 2 setup hooked up to his Samsung HDTV I got him.  He loves it.  With keyboard and mouse not physically connected.  Although I have found this setup is good for gaming, but reading like net surfing is not good at all.

Hook up the sounds to the desktop & then he can use the laptop for reading email, web surfing.

Aug 22, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #21 of 33
Good idea, yeah. Personally if I had the money, I would build a really good gaming comp (well, already have one) and have a separate desk dedicated for music and internet browsing etc. I think he will love the setup. My current setup was built as a gaming one, but since I have become (well, dunno if I am) an audiophile, I game less and less and my 1.4M wide desk is not wide enough to accommodate all my audio gear I like to use. Core 2 setup should do him fine. Personally, anything less than a Q6600 based system is way too slow for me. 

Aug 22, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #22 of 33
I put together computers for family members for Christmas.  Works out great.  Sounds like you are pretty quick with a quick machine.  I agree though, I have to have the quickness.

I am going to put in a small flash drive in my machine to see what it does.  They are very expensive & reliability is a question mark, but  the price is coming down.

Aug 22, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #24 of 33
I agree though, I have to have the quickness.

Then you'll need to go with top-end, quad-core CPU's, overclocking, lot's of coolers/fans and fast, high end graphics cards which means lots and lots of money.

The point, when you put quick and computer together in the same sentence, sadly, you'll also have to have the money to back the sentence up.

Here's your OP:

I am looking at get audio out of the computer and have no idea where to start, want to go cheapest route (LOL as if that will happen).

In truth, there is no "cheapest route," if you want quality sound.  So we're back to the question: "What's your budget?"  Why?  Cause without a budget, nobody will know what to recommend.

L3000.gif

Aug 22, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #25 of 33
SSD to the rescue. I just use an Intel X25-M 80gb. I was going to get two 160gb one's, as that's all I need (no need for an old, slow, noisy, crappy hard drive), but just went with the one 80gb for the OS and my main programs. 

Aug 22, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #26 of 33
5 different kinds of DT 770.  Drummers, pro, premium, different impedance.  mmm

Did the SSD make a big difference?  I have a 30G and a 60G, I thought I would put the 60 in with Windows 7.

Aug 23, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #27 of 33
Yes the SSD did make quite a difference
Windows 7 is a LOT quicker than XP, at least on a SSD anyway. No hdd lag or noise etc to deal with now. Definitely use the 60gb for Windows 7, you will need it. 

Aug 24, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #28 of 33

Quote:
I also have the 5850. It is good enough. Plays every game I throw at it maxed out with no lag with my i7 920 at 4ghz. So you will be fine there as far as gaming goes. 900w psu is huge overkill, as you only really need a good quality 550w psu, but who am I to speak, I have a 1200w psu 
biggrin.gif
 Used to have tri sli gtx 285 so yeah...

Apparently though, a PSU supplying around 900W is in fact recommended if the computer requires 550W. I read on this article in which it seems that at 40-60% system load, the PSU will be at its most efficient. Meaning that if your computer will regularly draw 350W to power up all the components, you should get a 700W PSU which will in turn save you more money in the future. Not many seem to know that fact, yet some do. ...But despite that finding, I have doubts and many questions regarding that.

Aug 24, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #29 of 33
Ah. Efficiency didn't cross my mind for the first time. I used to be a huge computer enthusiast (literally upgrading at least once a week) and knew a lot of things. Now Head-Fi has taken over that hobby and the knowledge I have of computers is quite vague 
tongue.gif
 I just got the 1200w psu (Thermaltake..eek) because for $260 (used to test if persons computer was working apparently..), it was impossible not to buy.

Aug 24, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #30 of 33
Quote:
Apparently though, a PSU supplying around 900W is in fact recommended if the computer requires 550W. I read on this article in which it seems that at 40-60% system load, the PSU will be at its most efficient. Meaning that if your computer will regularly draw 350W to power up all the components, you should get a 700W PSU which will in turn save you more money in the future. Not many seem to know that fact, yet some do. ...But despite that finding, I have doubts and many questions regarding that.

Or you could just look for a quality review of a psu on jonnyguru or something and see how efficient the psu is at various loads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back