Getting rid of smoke smell. Help.
May 2, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #31 of 52
Get a large plastic case w/ a lid in which the entire headphone can be placed and still close the lid. Then in an smaller container put some Arm and Hammer Baking Soda and place insde the larger container then seal the container. Leave it in an stable place (you do not want the powder to get in your Ultrasones) for a week.

May 2, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #32 of 52
thans i'll buy some soda tomorrow. this method its easy and cheap enough to try.

It will be nice if its actually works - I was seriously thinking about disasembling them an throwing all the parts into the wash mashine
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #33 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was recently given a pair of AKG 340s in perfect condition except for the fact that they've been sitting around for a couple decades in a small apt with 2 chain smokers and their chain smoking friends. My ears love them, but I can't stand the smell.
mad.gif
Any ideas?

Thanks,

An ex-chain smoker

In all seriousness, don't use them for about a month. The smell will be gone. I bought two headphones that smelled like tobacco. The smell eventually goes away.

May 2, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #34 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I work in rehab. I can probably get them a scholarship for treatment if needed.
340smile.gif

off topic. Rehab counselor? If so, I might PM you..

May 2, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #35 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In all seriousness, don't use them for about a month. The smell will be gone. I bought two headphones that smelled like tobacco. The smell eventually goes away.

You're answering 4 yrs old posts
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #36 of 52
High end hotels used to and still use Ionizers, something like it adds an atom to smelly atoms making them heavier and falling to the ground where they can be vacuumed, (something along those lines)

May 3, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #38 of 52
Nothing wrong with that. After all, someone else might read it and get a question answered. ^_^

May 3, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #42 of 52
ok just started the soda experiment - I put the headphones in a small case with some soda and sealed it with dust tape. I'll post the results in a week from now.

May 3, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #43 of 52
Hi, I had the smoke prob with some old stax SR5 phones also they were dark yellow, so I gave them a very good clean with my babies bum wipes , half a dozen wipes later and 20 mins work, the phones were gleaming white and smelled like clean baby, which thankfully dissapeared after 10 mins leaving them clean sanitised and smelling of nothing. worth a try

May 3, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #44 of 52
Just a note...
Ozone is a bad idea. Ozone breaks down rubber and some plastics...not a good idea on a pair of cans. The key is to get the tar and oils out of the material so anything which breaks down oil is going to help. I'd toss and replace the ear pads. Mineral oil is one possibility though you'll need to clean them with a good non drying detergent afterward unless you are into slippery cans
rolleyes.gif

We get smoke out of apartments for clients with something called a Restorator machine that uses oil cartridges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back