getting into jazz
Aug 28, 2008 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

mow_the_hawk

500+ Head-Fier
hey. My interest in jazz has been increasing lately and I have been using my speakers because I don't really like my sr80 for jazz. What headphones should I get? I am trying to spend as little as possible, preferably under $300, but I can go over if absolute necessary. I don't know much about it, but I am almost positive that I do not want akg k701. My dad has a pair and I have tested them with my tube amp, and I did not like the pair. I am not looking to buy a new amp.

Thanks!

Aug 28, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #4 of 24
ok thanks. I was thinking about those, but thought theymore expensive than that. Does anyone know how they sound with my amp? and ASL MG-Head mIII

Aug 28, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 24
I love my HD600's with jazz. They are smooooooth.

Aug 28, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mow_the_hawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok thanks. I was thinking about those, but thought theymore expensive than that. Does anyone know how they sound with my amp? and ASL MG-Head mIII

I haven't heard the MG-Head, but OTL tube amps usually pair very well with HD650 (voltage amp + high impedance =
beerchug.gif
)

Aug 28, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #7 of 24
I've used an ASL MG Head MKIII with both the HD600's and HD650's. The ASL paired with HD600's in OTL was very, very nice with my jazz albums. The HD650's were just a tad too dark and I preferred them more for rock.

Aug 28, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #8 of 24
Interesting you don't like your grado's for jazz. I really like their intimate soundstage and good bass and treble extension. I think the rs-1's are better for jaz than the 80's but they are beyond your budget. What is it that makes you not like the grados for jazz?

Aug 29, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #9 of 24
OTOH......one of my common choices (when listening to female jazz singers) is Grado RS-1 (flat pads) via a ASL Mg Head OTL MkIII with NOS tubes. Strongly recommend replacing orig. tubes w/Raytheon 5751, and a pair of Amperex EL84.

Aug 29, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #10 of 24
lacrossebowe8: I did not like soundstage the grados have for jazz. I did not like how upfront it is.

BushGuy: Where would you get these tubes?

Also, JW how do the HD580s sound with jazz compared to the hd600? I thought they were very similar.

Aug 29, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by lacrossebowe8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting you don't like your grado's for jazz. I really like their intimate soundstage and good bass and treble extension. I think the rs-1's are better for jaz than the 80's but they are beyond your budget. What is it that makes you not like the grados for jazz?

I think that my SR225's don't have that bass extension -- Am I missing something?

I feel that the bass in my jazz songs don't have any weight to them, they're just kinda there for me.

Aug 29, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #13 of 24
mow the Hawk - simply shop eBay for the tubes. There are some reputable people selling tubes (and, possibly some not). I've purchased several there - including the ones I named above. If you don't succeed the 1st week....you may be successful the 2nd, or 3rd or 4th weeks. If you find a good Raytheon and unsuccessful for the Amperex - I can prob. help you there (yeah, I believe in buying extras once I know what works best).

Aug 29, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Planar_head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that my SR225's don't have that bass extension -- Am I missing something?

I feel that the bass in my jazz songs don't have any weight to them, they're just kinda there for me.

The RS-1's would change your mind
biggrin.gif

Aug 29, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #15 of 24
Are we talking small ensemble acoustic jazz? I love my HD580s (600s these days) with that kind of music. The midrange, where horns fall, is very sweet and a bit forward. Mid bass (stand up) is strong and punchy. Sound stage is not so expansive as to lose the small club feel, but big enough to get the live feel. The treble extends high enough to get very real, shimmering cymbals, but not so far as to make a ride cymbal sound hissy or hashy. They're great for all kinds of small ensemble acoustic music and also work really well for rock unless you want that "in your face" presentation.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back