Getting a pocketknife...
May 21, 2007 at 1:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Ikrit42

100+ Head-Fier
So...
My class goes to France for three weeks, leaving a week from thursday, and on the recommended packing list is a pocketknife.
I was kind of planning on bringing one anyway, but it's nice to know that I won't get sent home for bringing one.

In any case, I figure I'll be using it for bread/fruit and whatever little things crop up while traveling.
I read a couple of the other Knife-Fi threads, and eventually found this, a Kershaw Ken Onion Vapor. I like the style better than most others I've seen, plus it has the non-threatening silver look to it (which is a big one for me).

Are there any glaring faults with this knife? Just wanted to ask before I order one, probably tomorrow night.

Thanks,

May 21, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 21
The Kershaws are good cheap knives, but they tend to be assisted-opening, which, unfortunately, can be a hassle as it scares some people and some people think it's a switchblade and switchblades are illegal in some places. This might not be the best thing to take on a trip to notoriously hoplophobic regions.

Consider a Spyderco, such as a Delica, or for the utmost in PC innocuousity, the ol' standby Buck 110.

May 21, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #4 of 21
I like the looks of that Kershaw. Sleek and elegant. Being able to open the knife with one hand can be useful sometimes. For travel, there's also a lot to be said for some sort of Swiss Army Knife. Things like scissors, tweezers, screwdrivers, etc. can come in handy when you're living out of a suitcase.

May 21, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #5 of 21
I actually have a Leatherman pocket knife.. yes .. I know... I know... but seriously, they are not bad at all.
Besides the fact that I just recent realized that I actually need to oil the joints to make them open smoother

May 21, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #7 of 21
Whatever you buy, make sure it goes in your checked luggage. Otherwise, it'll be confiscated when you go through the metal detector.

I have a couple of the Gerber knives, but carry either a Fallkniven or a Mcusta daily. Both are a cut above (heh) the Gerbers and a few others I have. They're closer to $100, but both are well built and have served me well.

May 21, 2007 at 9:09 AM Post #8 of 21
I like Kershaw's Black Gulch – 3120

kershawblackgulch3120jb1.png

May 21, 2007 at 11:20 AM Post #10 of 21
Spyderco Delica all the way.

Get the waved version if you want one of the fastest drawing (single-handed) folding knives on the planet. Yes, even faster than the fastest auto-assist, switchblade or stiletto. It's like pulling a fixed blade knife out of your pocket.

But it might be out of the price range you are considering...

May 21, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whatever you buy, make sure it goes in your checked luggage. Otherwise, it'll be confiscated when you go through the metal detector...

Good advice, hope the OP follows it.

May 21, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #14 of 21
I think I'll be taking a nice, dedicated pocketknife as well as a leatherman for random stuff...
So far, I think I'm going to go with the Vapor. I definitely want the assisted opening, so I can use it one-handed, and I don't need/want the waving because I probably won't need it or use it ever.

May 21, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ikrit42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I'll be taking a nice, dedicated pocketknife as well as a leatherman for random stuff...
So far, I think I'm going to go with the Vapor. I definitely want the assisted opening, so I can use it one-handed, and I don't need/want the waving because I probably won't need it or use it ever.

Just so we are clear on exactly how the wave feature works (and not many people are), watch this video. The knife in that video is the waved Endura, which is the Big Brother of the Delica. The Delica is a lot smaller.

And here is another video of a guy 'hot-dogging' with the wave feature.

The blade does not have to deploy every time, unless you want it to. Once again, the wave is an amazing feature, and in functionality, reliability, and practicality it absolutely blows away assited-opening knives. Or at least it blows away all of the assisted-opening knives I have owned to date (many of which were Kershaws).

At any rate, it sounds like you have your mind made up. Have fun with your new toy, and don't let it bite you!

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back