Getting a GS-X
Jan 25, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #16 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by pianomav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you're right. I remember someone posted a picture of a stack of headamps (gs-1,gs-x, glite) and they are all in silver. I think it was on the pico pictures thread...

but i don't think a gs-x is in that stack...the black stack that Asr posted does have a black gs-x, but i didn't see a silver gs-x...

Jan 25, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #17 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but i don't think a gs-x is in that stack...the black stack that Asr posted does have a black gs-x, but i didn't see a silver gs-x...

My bad... i looked back at that thread and the silver stack of amps didn't include a gs-x. It was asr's stack that had the gs-x in it. Anyways, i still like the black finnish on the gs-x....

Jan 25, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #18 of 95
Yeah!!! Team GS-X...way to go!!!!
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2008 at 9:47 AM Post #19 of 95
I am sure you will be pleased. When the GS-X eventually arrives that is...
Enjoy!
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #22 of 95
I ordered my HD 650's and the DAC1 today so sometime next week now I can start to get used to how they sound before I go up to the GS-X! I know I'll have a long time to get used to it but life goes on!

How's the DAC1 amp by itself in SE?

Jan 25, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #23 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody selling their GS-1?

You meant gs-X :) ...... it's hard to find one but you can try putting a WTB in the FS forum...

Jan 25, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #24 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreadhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered my HD 650's and the DAC1 today so sometime next week now I can start to get used to how they sound before I go up to the GS-X! I know I'll have a long time to get used to it but life goes on!

The amp on the DAC1 is ok and has plenty power for even the full size cans. I can't even go pass 12' on the volume knob on the dac1 when using my hd650. However the sound is a little on the bright side and can be harsh at times on some music. So again it's ok to get you by but since it's a top-knotch dac, i'd still recommend a stand-alone amp to get the full potential of this little gem.

Jan 26, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #25 of 95
sounds like a lot of people here have balanced hd650s w/their gs-x. i'm probably going to go for a balanced rs-1 instead, but someone told me that the rs-1 doesn't work so great out of the gs-x.

but i really loved my hf-1/gs-1 match...and the headamp amps are often recommended for use with grados. after all, kevin gilmore's original intent was to provide an amp that drove grados well.

so, what do you guys think? i don't think there are a whole lot of balanced rs-1/gs-x owners out there b/c there aren't a whole lot of gs-x owners to begin with, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of balanced rs-1. any thoughts?

Jan 26, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #26 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreadhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It may depend on the cans - I think some folks think the balanced HD 650 sound pretty good with the DAC1 amp (fed from the XLR outs). I don't have any Senns, so I can't vouch for others' impression. My own experience has been that my single-ended Grado SR60 works very well but definitely not my SE K701s (by a long shot) -- this is from the regular HP out (not XLR of course). I would think the GS-X should run circles around the DAC1's amp but as you said, the DAC1 may work well as an interim solution.

As an aside, I just ordered balanced K701s and a GS-X, however seeing that the K701 did not sound good with the DAC1, I've decided not to use the XLR outs on the DAC1 as an amp but rather continue to use my GS-1 with the balanced K701s (via an XLR to phone jack adapter) until the GS-X arrives. I've prepared myself for the wait, hopefully its not too long!

Jan 26, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #29 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by lcp12345 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do the bass perform in GS-X when combo with HD650? What is the sound signature of 650 under this combo?

The hd650 already has good bass even without the gs-x but with this amp, it's plenty more. It has tight, controlled bass compared to my previous amps (opera, and gcha) and the balanced configuration even enhances more.

As far as sound signatures, i don't really think it has any. It's the most transparent amp that i've heard yet to date.

Jan 27, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #30 of 95
Congrats on the GS-X. I've had mine for about a year and use HD650 and W5000 on them.

For balanced cabling on the HD650, I've tried DIY 650 cables, the red Clou, and DIY'ed Cardas. The red Clou and the DIY'ed Cardas sound very similiar but I prefer the Cardas because its a lot more flexible and lighter. Basically, snip the end of a regular Cardas Senn cable and add a 4 pin XLR. I've got 4 pin to 2x 3 pin and 4 pin to TRS adaptors made from cardas cables. The 4 pin XLR is a lot easier to manage. (The Clou is still $49 from Headroom and a good deal if you can handle the stiffness of the cables.)

Used to drive the GS-X with the DAC1 too. Then got a Apogee Minidac and Stello DA220. The DA220 is leaps better than the DAC1. Also with the extra digital inputs/outputs on the DA220 I've looped a Behringer DEQ 2496 for EQ.

Cabling from DAC to GS-X are Apogee Wyde-Eye's. (Get a single 10M length and some extra Neutik XLR's. Cut to length and reterminate to get a pair and extra raw cable for other uses.) Used some Silver Sonics and DIY Belden 1800F, but like the Apogee's more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back