Gettin' up to date for 2012 (best IEM for around $200)
Oct 31, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #31 of 39
My 3 favs have been the phonak, Gr07 and E-q5. They're quite different while all being close to neutral. Phonak(gray) may actually be the most informative/detailed but also the most dry. Black filters takes away too much of what they do well. The E-q5 has the most color and with Hybrids, the most fun. Hybrids also kill any of their sibilance but make them a bit forward overall. Gr07 is just a great all around phone. It has a minor touch of sibilance in certain combos with similar info and weight to the Orto while being less forward but also a bit less fun.

Oct 31, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #32 of 39

I absolutely love them. I stopped searching after I bought them. :wink: As for all this FOTM talk. The great sound quality is definitely gonna carry the GR07's for the LONG HAUL.

Quote:
thanks for the +'s...  Jamess71 I noticed you have a pair of D2000s, how do you like them?  They are my list toppers for home.

Oct 31, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #33 of 39
Excellent.  Thanks for the feedback guys, just what I was hoping for, honest straightforward opinions.
Gr07s indeed have a solid following, and you guys make good points about their validity as great IEMs and not this weeks fashion.  Thank you for quelling my doubts.  Still a toss-up between the JVCs and GR07s.

The Tridents are a done deal already... at that price it was worth it just to hear them.  They will get me through until I get the good stuff.  I honestly don't expect much of them.  Plus, if I don't like them, they will most likely get passed on to my wife for her laptop listening (That woman is brutal on headphones, and could care less about how they sound).  And if I do like them I will keep 'em around for back-ups or beaters.

Also thanks for responding about the D2000s.
Cheers

Nov 1, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #34 of 39
Gr07's will not disappoint you to say the least.

Nov 1, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #35 of 39
I own a pair of D7000 and feel the GR07 are quite similar albeit not quite and powerful in the bass department. Unfortunately the FXT90 may be similar as well LOL.

I love the GR07's transparency and detail. They combine the best of BA and dynamic IEM in my experience.

Nov 1, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #36 of 39
If you're trying to decide between the JVC and the GR07, it probably boils down to your sound preference. I haven't listened to it personally, but the FTX90 is said to be the FX700's little brother, and the FX700, while excellent, is fairly U-shaped albeit with great midrange clarity.

My personal preference is with the GR07 and its flat profile. The EX600 is very good too, and is actually a little more laid back and smoother than the GR07; it doesn't sound warm at all though, to my ears. It seems to perfectly straddle the line between warm and cold. With that respect, the GR07 has that tinge of warmth you're looking for. Also, in terms of fit, the EX600 is very comfortable but stick out of your ears like no other. If you like to lay down/sleep with your IEMs, the EX600 aren't for you.

The DUNU Trident would be great for your wife. I'm currently reviewing them, and they seem designed for headphone abusers. The included securing strap makes it easy to wrap up and throw into a purse or backpack. Their sound is also very mainstream-friendly and overall quite nice, but is a bit lacking in details. I don't think your wife would mind. My only real issues with them are their lower-than-average isolation and relatively low sensitivity. They are a little heavy, but no more than Monster Turbines, and the shape is quite comfortable.

Quote:
Excellent.  Thanks for the feedback guys, just what I was hoping for, honest straightforward opinions.
Gr07s indeed have a solid following, and you guys make good points about their validity as great IEMs and not this weeks fashion.  Thank you for quelling my doubts.  Still a toss-up between the JVCs and GR07s.

The Tridents are a done deal already... at that price it was worth it just to hear them.  They will get me through until I get the good stuff.  I honestly don't expect much of them.  Plus, if I don't like them, they will most likely get passed on to my wife for her laptop listening (That woman is brutal on headphones, and could care less about how they sound).  And if I do like them I will keep 'em around for back-ups or beaters.

Nov 1, 2011 at 7:39 AM Post #37 of 39
While I would characterize the fxt90 as the little brother of the fx700, it does not have the same sound in mids. Mids are more forward on the fxt90.  Check this thread for a quick summary between the gr07 and fxt90:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/578131/when-to-go-gr07-and-when-to-go-ha-fxt90#post_7860208
 ​

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #38 of 39
^^^  Great comparison...  thanks.  That helps a lot, but actually makes me want both. 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 3, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #39 of 39
Tridents arrived yesterday...  only had a few moments to listen today, but they sounded great for the money...   bass was a little sloppy and highs not as extended or clear as I am used to with the q-JAYS but fun to listen to....   and they do seem to be solid. =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back