Gettin' up to date for 2012 (best IEM for around $200)
Oct 30, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #16 of 39
The Sony EX600 sound interesting, and I may have to pick up a pair of Dunu Tridents just because!  
Thanks for the tip(s) on those.

Yeah, the popularity of the GR07s gives me some pause...  afraid of the FOTM factor.  But the reputed sound is a pretty good match

Oct 30, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #17 of 39

Quote:
GR07 might be the safest choice, but I'm shopping within the same price range as you and the new JVC FXT90's have certainly caught my eye.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/563722/jvc-ha-fxt90-appreciation-thread-user-info-pricing-reviews-on-page-1

Cool.  nano-tube driver...  very interesting  Thanks for the heads-up!

Oct 30, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #18 of 39

Quote:
The Sony EX600 sound interesting, and I may have to pick up a pair of Dunu Tridents just because!  
Thanks for the tip(s) on those.

Yeah, the popularity of the GR07s gives me some pause...  afraid of the FOTM factor.  But the reputed sound is a pretty good match

Well, most FOTMs don't generally hang around for 6+ months with the following getting even stronger as time goes on...just saying. :p

But yeah, the hype machine is strong with this one.  I think your best bet is honestly to try a whole bunch of different IEMs (possibly all on your list) and then just sell the ones that you don't like.

Oct 30, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #19 of 39

Quote:
Well, most FOTMs don't generally hang around for 6+ months with the following getting even stronger as time goes on...just saying. :p

But yeah, the hype machine is strong with this one.  I think your best bet is honestly to try a whole bunch of different IEMs (possibly all on your list) and then just sell the ones that you don't like.

If the OP has the money it would certainly be the best choice. As most of the phones already have a large following it shouldnt be too hard to sell it without much loss. And if this ends up with a pair of fxt90's for sale, I wouldn't mind...
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #20 of 39

Quote:
I'd say GR07s too.  Also, looking at reviews and impressions of the RE272 and 262, it seems to me that the 262 would fit what you're looking for better, a touch of warmth - but this is just what I read.  The 272 is said to be rather cold and analytical.

You are correct, sir.  I did mean the RE262, my bad.  Thanks for pointing that out.  I edited my original post to reflect.
Thanks

Oct 30, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #21 of 39

Quote:

If the OP has the money it would certainly be the best choice. As most of the phones already have a large following it shouldnt be too hard to sell it without much loss. And if this ends up with a pair of fxt90's for sale, I wouldn't mind...
biggrin.gif

Would be nice if money weren't an issue...  but it is, always.  

speaking of money I just added Monsters Coppers and Miles Davis turbines to the list...  
they street around 200...
Damn you, Head-fi!  What I really want is a pair of JH Audio JH13 or 16s!
.....oh why did I come back here!

Oct 30, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #22 of 39
Alright, I'm torn between the FXT90s and the GR07... leaning toward the JVC's at the moment.
also going to pick up a pair of Tridents from a fellow head-fier just for ****s-and-giggles. 
cool.gif

Oct 30, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #24 of 39
 That's too broad to be helpful unless you mention what IEMs you've tried in that range. Either way your criteria of best may not match his. FXT90 for a more engaging, slightly more colored sound. GR07 to get closer to a dryer, reference type of sound. 

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #26 of 39
Thanks for the perspective, Inks.  And your input -y0-... 

Seems I should look into the Tandems a little more as well.
Cheers..  Happy Halloween
-Funk

Oct 31, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #27 of 39
I like both my RE262 and my GR07. RE262 does need an amp. GR07 is more neutral, RE262 has slightly better vocals. On the go I prefer GR07, mainly because I don't need to carry an amp.
Both IEMs need some experimenting considering tips. I had to try several tips to get a comfortable fit and good seal. For me the big bi-flanges on the RE262 work best with a shallow fit. On the GR07 I am using the standard bi-flanges but Í still am not completely satisfied. The nozzle of the GR07 is quite thin so not all tips stay at their place so easily.

Oct 31, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #28 of 39

Popularity shouldn't be enough to give pause. Lots of classics are popular! But even more, I'd encourage you to look at who they're popular with. When both ljokerl and clieos, not to mention several of headfi.org's other best reviewers (and I don't necesserily mean those who post the most) are all praising an iem at the same time, in my experience, its smart to listen.
Here is ljokerl's review: http://www.head-fi.org/t/549580/review-vsonic-gr07-dynamic-monitors-check
Here is Clieo's review: http://www.head-fi.org/t/536342/review-vsonic-gr07-labor-of-love
Here is Mark2410's review: http://www.head-fi.org/t/552618/vsonic-gr07-review-r07

The GR07 is the real thing.

Quote:

Oct 31, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #29 of 39
I think the Dunu's are quite the downgrade after your current IEMs. I have the Hephaes and Trident on loan and they're not doing much for me. Too wooly and boomy, not enough fidelity or sparkle, especially the Hephaes. Thing sounds just like the Beats. Great build quality and packaging though. Fashion-iems with a huge bass emphasis. I'm more of a RE0/Fischer Audio DBA-02 kind of guy. 

I think the Brainwavz M4 are a pair of IEMs to keep an eye on. Not as bassy as the M2 but not as treble-happy as the B2. I've heard all the Brainwavz (and own a couple) and it seems they did it exactely right this time. My 2 cents... :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back