Get your D2000s before they go extinct. $211 shipped.
Mar 11, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #31 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by as.we.proceed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
theres so many amps out there and im too lazy to research them all right now. why cant there be a definitive amp collection post that outlines which amps are best with particular headphones.
frown.gif

That would be a great idea, I was thinking the same thing when I started looking for an amp. I ended up looking at the gear in members profiles and asked them what pairing they used. Like you said if you search there is a whole bunch of threads about pairing amps with d2000, d5000 and d7000.

Check out the compass thread in the fullsize amp thread: its also a dac and the price is right, also I was told the Musical Fidelity X-CAN v8, Gilmore Lite and there was another one, but in the end I went with the compass amp/dac because of the reviews, options and the price is right.

My roommate has the d7000 sand uses the EF-1, he uses hdams and tubes.

Mar 11, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #32 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by idunno /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's worth noting that the warranty will be void, since those folks aren't an authorized reseller

how do you know if they are an authorized seller or not?

is audioblowouts.com?

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #33 of 58
probably not, I doubt any authorized seller goes this low in price...

Mar 11, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #35 of 58
Head-Direct EF1 hybrid amp is very good with the Denons.

Mar 11, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #36 of 58
Quote:

hmm ok.

what exactly is bad about buying from an unauthorized seller? I mean besides the warrenty.

The headphones are still new right?

If you do a search you will see a thread where someone else learned the hard way that Denon will not honor the warranty if purchased from an unauthorized dealer. Laws vary from country to country re: whether such policies are enforceable. Nonetheless, wouldn't you rather follow the path of least resistance if something does go wrong?

I got mine from J and R, who are an authorized dealer of Denon. I also paid only $2 more than the starter of this thread by simply negotiating with the sales rep on the phone.
I got mine today. I will say this; having unpacked and examined the D2000s, I now understand why some newbs who buy the ATH-AD700s (Audio Technica) wonder if they are fakes; the Denons are much more solidly constructed. Of course, they are not as light and are closed vs. open, but I feel the construction quality is much better. They feel almost as comfortable on the head, a bit heavier but not much, and much more secure (the ATs seemingly being designed for fat heads).

I am at the office at the moment so I'm listening to WNKU (great NPR/Alternative station out of Northern KY of all places) running USB into my beloved RSA Predator and the Denons sound fine before even breaking them in. I do hear some sibilance with the DJ's voices but the mic-ing of the DJs always sounds strange and with undue reverb on WNKU. I love the sound signature otherwise; more immediate, authoritative and punchy than the AD700s, and yet female voices sound silky and relaxed. Without anything more than gut-instinct and buyers' happiness, I would say that anyone who does not yet have a closed set of cans (to have fun with when the leaking sound of open cans is not an option) can't go wrong with D2000s and a decent solid state headphone amp. For $215? Are you kidding me! I love this hobby.

Mar 11, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #38 of 58
My salesman was Simon at extension 1017. Who knows, maybe I just got lucky. J and R tries to price match any website that does not sell gray market goods. I used Buy.com as my comparison, and though Simon said he could not go to $198, he did go to 213 plus $8.00 shipping. I hate to make life miserable for Simon, but ahhhh, no one needs to feel sorry for J and R, right?

Mar 11, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #39 of 58
I see, you used pricematching as leverage. Problem right now is that the d2000 is unavailable at most reputable places, and the ones that do have it in stock are charging an arm and a leg. Sounds like you got in at the right time.

The thread to which you referred ended happily - though he purchased from an unauthorized retailer, Denon still honored the warranty in the end.

Mar 11, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #40 of 58
I called J&R and talked to some guy at extension 1031 and the lowest he said he could go for me is $249.99. I'm satisfied with the Denons but sometimes it feels as though the bass is somewhat "farty".

Dunno how to describe it.

Mar 11, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #43 of 58
This thread has me intruiged, I don't mean to hijack but I just had a quick question. I am looking for a new pair of headphones, the only decent pair I've owned are the Shure E4Cs.

I am considering a pair of Sennheiser 600s and am wondering how the Denons might compare?

Also, would both of these models be better than my Shures or no?

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #44 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by as.we.proceed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does the "farty" bass get any harder hitting with amplification? i doubt it. i got them for $229 + tax from J+R and i didnt have to try hard. i just asked whats the best he could do.

I used my d5000 straight from laptop onboard sound and no amp, bass was kind sloppy. I borrowed my roomies go-vibe amp and bass, highs and mids improved drastically - bass still on the sloppy side. The markl mod greatly improved the bass, tightened it up yet still hits pretty deep.

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #45 of 58
oh i hear bass from an audigy, its just soft and not as hard hitting compared to a ultrasone. i dont think an amp can change the character of the headphone to much, just improve it. im getting a dt 770 80ohm next to compare them side by side. then maybe ill get one of these to see what difference both of them exhibit Amplifier : Soundwise USA :: Affordable High-Quality Soundwise Earphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back