Get me over the hump: Senn HD650s or Beyer DT-880s?!?!
Apr 7, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #31 of 55
There is another issue that has been surprisingly little discussed in this thread. That's the comfort factor. For sure the OP should buy the cans that musically best do what he wants - whichever pair that may be - but he will be very lucky if that pair are the Beyers.

Apr 7, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #32 of 55
Davesrose;2855565 said:
Likewise, Slaughter hasn't heard the DT880, so both your arguements are rather pointless.
QUOTE]

You are correct I haven't heard them, but I dont think it is totally pointless since it is known that Beyer like everyone but AKG have a house sound. And to me so far the house sound is not accurate. I am not talking about which genres the work best with, I am talking about the tone they reporduce. And it is subjective to which sound you prefer, but it is not subjective as to which sounds more like real instruments, it either sounds like them or it doesn't. Pretty black and white if you ask me. Just like senns are laid back and dark, but that doesnt mean they cant faithfully reproduce sound. Laid back and dark is just how the sound is presented not the tonality. I for one dont care if it is dark, light, forward, laid back, as long as the instruments sound like they do in person. And I understand recording and mastering play a part in that as well. So I will try the 880 since I love the Beyer comfort, but I dont have high expectations that the tonality will be that different from the 990/770. If it is and it is more accurate then great for me since I will have a new pair of cans to love. And I still need to try the 650.

Apr 7, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #33 of 55
I have both, and like them both immensely.
But they are very different headphones and preferring one over another greatly depends on your personal taste, or just mood.
Senns are full bodied, with smooth liquid sound, lush and relaxed, sometimes might feel slowish. Aftermarket cable such as Zu Mobius is a must imo to brighten them up a little and extract extra details.
DT880 on the other hand are more on analytical side, have humongous details resolution, they literally just jump into your ears. Bass is tight and well defined but may feel anemic in comparison. That btw is a temporary effect and after a while your ears adjust and the bass becomes plentiful. (just don't switch back and forth between HD650 and DT880, you won't like either
wink.gif
, with HD650 you'll need to adjust to subdued details with DT880 to thinner sound).

Not sure though that I helped any with your choice.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 7, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #34 of 55
I've got both the DT880 and the HD-650. Personally, I find the DT880 to be a much better headphone. It sounds natural and the detail is wonderful. The HD-650 is darker, heavier and sluggish in the lows. It has its good points, of course, but the DT880 sure gets a lot more head time.

Also, since you already have a Senn, you might want to try a different manufacturer. They're supremely comfortable, as well.

Apr 7, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #36 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by cherepashka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
880: lacks bass extension or not?

Yes and no.
Yes, if you compare to bass heavy phones, no if you listen them alone.
Phenomena of human psychoacoustic.

Apr 7, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #37 of 55
Also genre dependent. When I listen to classical & jazz with the 880s, I can keep everything "flat" and am a happy man. When I switch over to electronica & related, I need EQ for the low end. Desperately.
tongue.gif

Apr 7, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #38 of 55
Ok, peeps. So, one can only deliberate on such a decision for so long. As tempted as I was by the 650s, I ultimately chose the DT-880s. I played around with the "manufacture" portion of their web site, but they would have been a bit out of budget with all the options I wanted.

I did find them on Amazon.com (*via the marketplace) for $219 with just $9 for expedited shipping. That was the LOWEST price I found, and I'll sleep soundly tonight. I can't wait to hear them. I had planned to audition a bunch this coming week, but we have house guests coming, and I figured there wasn't time. I'll post when I hear more. And thanks to all who weighed in on this thread. While it didn't necessarily make my decision EASIER, it certainly made it more informed. Ultimately, I went with my gut... hasn't failed me so far.

-Jason (SwedeSound)

Apr 7, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #39 of 55
I have had both for sometime..DT880-03 with Cardas and stock 650's..For me they are apples and plums. I enjoy both. I use each one for different moods. You can't go wrong with either.

Apr 8, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #40 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm confused....earlier you said you hadn't heard the HD650 to comment on on them. But now you're saying they aren't accurate??
confused.gif
Must be based on impressions from Head-fi I guess
blink.gif
Likewise, Slaughter hasn't heard the DT880, so both your arguements are rather pointless.

I'm not saying the 650's are inaccurate, rather the 880's are more true to the original. This is based on head-fi and lots of long threads. I doubt even if one heard the 650's and 880's they could tell which one is more accurate, they could only tell the difference in sound
wink.gif
. To tell accuracy, it's a much more in depth process and the best source to for this task is reading through head-fi.

Apr 8, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #41 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by SwedeSound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, peeps. So, one can only deliberate on such a decision for so long. As tempted as I was by the 650s, I ultimately chose the DT-880s. I played around with the "manufacture" portion of their web site, but they would have been a bit out of budget with all the options I wanted.

I did find them on Amazon.com (*via the marketplace) for $219 with just $9 for expedited shipping. That was the LOWEST price I found, and I'll sleep soundly tonight. I can't wait to hear them. I had planned to audition a bunch this coming week, but we have house guests coming, and I figured there wasn't time. I'll post when I hear more. And thanks to all who weighed in on this thread. While it didn't necessarily make my decision EASIER, it certainly made it more informed. Ultimately, I went with my gut... hasn't failed me so far.

-Jason (SwedeSound)

Make sure that this is 2005 version, not many actually carry one.
TTVJ has probably the best deal, you need to email for special price, and you also get $10 off for the first time purchase. He is very nice fella to deal with plus this site sponsor.

Apr 8, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #42 of 55
According to the web site, it's the 2005 version, so we're cool. I'll check out TTVJ for future reference, tho. Thanks.

Apr 8, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #43 of 55
Quote:

-Jason (SwedeSound)

Wise and well informed decision. I thought to stay above the fray owning neither , although remaining in the Beyer camp as opposed to Senns . All I would have to add would be that I sold my HD-650s and I did not want to infuse the same old arguements which broke out anyway , without my imput.

Enjoy your new toy , and do give us an update ~

Apr 8, 2007 at 11:02 AM Post #45 of 55
Quote:

I ultimately chose the DT-880s.

Keep us informed how you like them. BTW, they sound awfully thin out of the box. Severest case of burn-in sound improvement I ever experienced. Mine needed ~200h continuous fire to open up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back