Get me over the hump: Senn HD650s or Beyer DT-880s?!?!
Apr 6, 2007 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

SwedeSound

Head-Fier
OK, so in another earlier thread I asked for help in spending my $350 in Blackjack winnings from Atlantic City. The debate was over new, hi-end cans or a new, higher-capacity iPod. I've since decided on new headphones, but I have it narrowed down to two worthy competitors:

Sennheiser HD650s or the Beyerdynamic DT-880s.

confused.gif

Time for others to weigh in... (p.s. I listen mostly to jazz, Latin and acoustic/alt-rock via lossless iPod files with a portable amp). Bring on the suggestions ... PLEASE! I need to pull the trigger. Head-fi can drive you bats if you plumb the depths of discussions too far.

-Swede

Apr 6, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 55
Keep it simple and sweet! the HD650s are going to give you that extra OOMPH and WEIGHT to your music! Very good for jazz, especially double bass work!
wink.gif
Also lends a nice feel to acoustical. The 880s would be better if you're trying to 'critique' music rather than enjoying it.. Just my .02 YMMV, I'm sure others will have opposing opinions! Also, it might not hurt to order from a place with a generous return policy!
wink.gif

Edit: btw, throw in a zu mobius or black dragon cable on those 650s and that'll help improve SQ... but that's 200+ bucks additional...(so look for them used)
frown.gif

Apr 6, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #3 of 55
Both excellent. For the price of the 650s, you can get custom manufacture 880s at 600 ohms with both leather and velour pads. The leathered 600 ohm DT880s are wicked good. But I don't know that your current amp is ideal for 600 ohms.

Apr 6, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #5 of 55
For rock, DT880's are a bit analytical and cold. But for Jazz and Acoustics, DT880's are unreal. Especially on well recorded works, listening to Jazz via the 880's brings goosebumps down my arms
wink.gif

I can't really say anything about the 650's because I haven't heard them. But from what I understand, amping the 650's is going to be half the sound signature. The 880's aren't so picky with amp choices (just get a "warm" amp with the 880's)

Edit:

I see you have HD595's. How do you enjoy them for your genres? They are considered some of the most aggressive sounding Senns, so it could give you an idea of what the 650's may sound like.

Apr 6, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #6 of 55
I do enjoy the 595s with most of genres I listen to. They can get a little muddy in the lowest octaves, but they're gorgeous with mids (piano and female voices) and some strings. I just want something that will give me a nice, wide soundstage and that doesn't get in the way of the music. I think part of me can't shake that the 650s are considered tops by so many; but the DT880s might be the dark horse that doesn't get the same attention for whatever reason.

Apr 6, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #7 of 55
The "problem" about the bright DT880 is that most other darker fons sound very undetailled, closed & muddy in comparison.

The DT880 made me sell my DT770 instantly, and also the brave DT531 is endangered. Hope the A900 I will buy next week can somewhat keep up with this glorious detailmonster.

The DT880's achilles heel is its bass though. It's the best bass I've crossed, it's fast, deep, pronounced and differentiated - but the sheer amount can sometimes be insufficient for rock or electronica.

If the "lowest octaves" are something you put focus on while listening, the HD650 might be better. But if you don't care much about that, get the DT880.

Apr 6, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #10 of 55
HA! Not necessarily. Lots of people were advocating for the 650s on the earlier thread. I don't think I'd have buyer's remorse with either of them. I'm just trying to make the decision based on "regret management." Which would I least regret getting or not getting. That approach has served me well in all aspects of life.

Apr 6, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #11 of 55
Just keep in mind that the HD650s need a strong amp to really shine. This isn't my own observation since i'm still saving up for them but from what i've read in these forums. If you were to go the HD650 route, just make sure you're willing to spend a little more on an amp purchase as well.

Apr 7, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #12 of 55
I have both and would keep my 650 if I had to give one up. I don't have any ultra expensive amps for my 650 but I don't buy into the idea that you need to spend $1,000 (or whatever) to make them sound great.

I use a processor that can add sparkle or deep bass down to around 40 Hz. and the 880 is capable of some serious bass weight...not that their bass is bad as is.

Apr 7, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #13 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by qazwsx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT880 is the HD650 with extra treble.

This is the kind of insightful commentary that keeps me coming to this forum. Bravo, I say!

Apr 7, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #14 of 55
And if you haven't compared tonal accuracy of beyer and akg/senn/grado, you will find that instruments sound more like the real thing on the other 3 brands. Its not that the Beyers sound bad, they're just not as accurate as the other 3. This may not be a concern for you as hundreds of others here don't seem to mind.

Apr 7, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #15 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the kind of insightful commentary that keeps me coming to this forum. Bravo, I say!

Oh yes, and so true
rolleyes.gif

qazwsx,

How did you come up with that gem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back