Get me over the hump: Senn HD650s or Beyer DT-880s?!?!
Apr 7, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #16 of 55
Your leather notch mod link made me think DT880s are the leading contender. Dang. I went to the manufacture spot on the Beyer site, and it's incredible. I "built" a really sweet set, but it would be $385 or so U.S.D. How long did it take for yours to arrive?

Apr 7, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #17 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaughter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And if you haven't compared tonal accuracy of beyer and akg/senn/grado, you will find that instruments sound more like the real thing on the other 3 brands. Its not that the Beyers sound bad, they're just not as accurate as the other 3. This may not be a concern for you as hundreds of others here don't seem to mind.

Headroom who describe the DT880 as maybe the best dyanamic headphone in the world don't mind. Neither do I. Of course, while I can't speak for Headroom, I don't actually agree with the premise.

Apr 7, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #18 of 55
i like beyers, in general, but i do think that 650s are more all-around headphones than 880s.. and for you, i think that 650s would be better for what you listen to..

me, 990
redface.gif

Apr 7, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #19 of 55
Quote:

And if you haven't compared tonal accuracy of beyer and akg/senn/grado, you will find that instruments sound more like the real thing on the other 3 brands. Its not that the Beyers sound bad, they're just not as accurate as the other 3. This may not be a concern for you as hundreds of others here don't seem to mind.

I would consider the DT880's among some of the most tonally accurate headphones you can buy.

Apr 7, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #20 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by SwedeSound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your leather notch mod link made me think DT880s are the leading contender. Dang. I went to the manufacture spot on the Beyer site, and it's incredible. I "built" a really sweet set, but it would be $385 or so U.S.D. How long did it take for yours to arrive?

It took a good 4 weeks for them to show up but it was worth the wait.

You're choosing between two really good sets of headphones. The thing about the DT880s is that there are very few people on here that have heard the effect that the leather pads have on them. Even fewer that have enjoyed it on a 600 ohm pair. (I might be one of the only ones...) I'm not going to say that they're better than the 650s which are awesome cans. I will say that I'm sticking with the 880s. I'm more impressed with them every day (burn in really does improve them).

If you go with the Beyers, I suggest getting the 600 ohm model. They will only improve as you improve your other kit - a great long-term purchase.

If you Rockbox your iPod, I'll happily share my frequency notch EQ setting. I'm going to update my thread with it soon anyway.

Apr 7, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #21 of 55
Quote:

Just to offer a differing point of view- I find Beyerdynamic headphones in general(their "house" sound) is the only one that's balanced enough to present all instruments in a lifelike fashion. AKGs, Sennheisers, and definitely Grados seem to have specific instrument sets where they come to life. With me, and the DT 880s especially, I haven't yet found an instrument that they can't faithfully reproduce.

They have a tendency to highlight faults in bad recordings-- crap in, crap out. If you feed them a great recording, that's when you see their true character. If you're looking for a headphone that will make lesser recordings sound good, they definitely won't do.

Apr 7, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #22 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would consider the DT880's among some of the most tonally accurate headphones you can buy.

They may have accurate frequency reporduction and be a pleasure to listen to, but as for all instruments sounding like they do in person, Beyer adds too much tinniness. AKG/Senn sounds more real instruments. Now I havent heard the 880, but the I have owned the 770 and 990 and both were very inaccurate. So unless the 880 changes the house Beyer sound, then they are inaccurate as well. Listen to live acoustic instruments and then listen to those instruments through the Beyers and you will see what I mean. And unless you a/b Beyers with a Senn or AKG, you would never notice. Now whether or not you prefer live instruments versus the Beyer sound is very subjective. And I am not saying the Senns and AKGs are perfect, but they are closer. It just depends on your preference.

Apr 7, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #23 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by aphex944 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're looking for a headphone that will make lesser recordings sound good, they definitely won't do.

That's what Grado's are for!!!

Apr 7, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #24 of 55
Quote:

They may have accurate frequency reporduction and be a pleasure to listen to, but as for all instruments sounding like they do in person, Beyer adds too much tinniness. AKG/Senn sounds more real instruments. Now I havent heard the 880, but the I have owned the 770 and 990 and both were very inaccurate. So unless the 880 changes the house Beyer sound, then they are inaccurate as well. Listen to live acoustic instruments and then listen to those instruments through the Beyers and you will see what I mean. And unless you a/b Beyers with a Senn or AKG, you would never notice. Now whether or not you prefer live instruments versus the Beyer sound is very subjective. And I am not saying the Senns and AKGs are perfect, but they are closer. It just depends on your preference.

DT880's are very accurate to the recording. Senn's may attempt to make the recordings sound more like a live venue, but that's not true to the recording. Some have even had their best mastering work with DT880's because of their true sound. The only obstacle with the 880's staying true to the recordings is the sparkling treble, but it's still quite accurate.

As for the 770's and 990's, they are very different beasts.

Apr 7, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #25 of 55
The dt880s sound more natural (the way things sound in real life) than the hd650s. The hd650s sound more mellow and laid back...Its a very rich sounding headphone though. It really boils down to what music you listen to. I would prefer the hd650s if I listened to classical music or jazz, but for rock music I prefer the dt880s.

Apr 7, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #26 of 55
Quote:

I know what you're talking about. But it doesn't apply to the dt880, imo. When I switch between the dt770 and the dt880 while playing a game I've known(like the back of my hands) for 9 years, the dt770 sounds unnatural, like its frequency response is handicapped. Putting on the dt880, everything sounds just "right" and very natural. This may be due to its neutral, revealing nature, compared to the dt770 and the dt990, which have tipped up bass and highs with mids being recessed to a degree as a result. AFAIK mids also play an important part in how music and such sounds. If the mids are recessed, what one hears may not sound very natural.

Apr 7, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #28 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by denl82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know what you're talking about. But it doesn't apply to the dt880, imo. When I switch between the dt770 and the dt880 while playing a game I've known(like the back of my hands) for 9 years, the dt770 sounds unnatural, like its frequency response is handicapped. Putting on the dt880, everything sounds just "right" and very natural. This may be due to its neutral, revealing nature, compared to the dt770 and the dt990, which have tipped up bass and highs with mids being recessed to a degree as a result. AFAIK mids also play an important part in how music and such sounds. If the mids are recessed, what one hears may not sound very natural.

After owning and returing both the 770 and 990, I thought I was done with Beyers. I really love the feel of wearing them so I might give the 880 a fair chance before I write off Beyers.

Apr 7, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #29 of 55
Man, after all the great responses, it still feels like a coin toss to me. I am going to do my best to audition the 880s. I've heard the 650s and was very impressed. I still adore my 595s and the "Senn Sound" they provide, which makes me wonder whether I should go with the Beyers if only to have another breed of horse in the headphone stable. And, frankly, while much has been made of the cable upgrade option the Senns provide, I don't think it's too much to expect that the stock cable headphones come with should be sufficient to reveal the capabilities of the 'phones themselves. That said, I am leaning hard toward the 880s at the moment... Tick-tock, tick tock....

Thanks to all for the great comments ... I'll let you know what shakes out and how things sound.

-Swede

Apr 7, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #30 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT880's are very accurate to the recording. Senn's may attempt to make the recordings sound more like a live venue, but that's not true to the recording. Some have even had their best mastering work with DT880's because of their true sound. The only obstacle with the 880's staying true to the recordings is the sparkling treble, but it's still quite accurate.

I'm confused....earlier you said you hadn't heard the HD650 to comment on on them. But now you're saying they aren't accurate??
confused.gif
Must be based on impressions from Head-fi I guess
blink.gif
Likewise, Slaughter hasn't heard the DT880, so both your arguements are rather pointless.

The truth is that you can't say what headphone is the most accurate, because they all have their place. The HD650 is used in recording studios who record symphonies. IMO, they are very good for venues that require a soundstage. I haven't heard the DT880s to say what music I'd think they'd be good at....so I won't even begin to generalize
tongue.gif
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back