Get HYPED for Vision Ears' NEW FLAGSHIP releases!
Dec 11, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #151 of 187
I almost mentioned the Mustang and Camaro that would be a quarter of the price with same horsepower as a Ferrari … but yeah, “fun” is also relative. :wink:
Mustang, Camaro and Hellcat offer the same horsepower (if not more: hellcat goes up to 820 HP) also it's a naturally aspired engine without any turbo charger. You get the full V8 experience and it's much cheaper. They really spark joy and fun.

Dec 11, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #152 of 187
Mustang, Camaro and Hellcat offer the same horsepower (if not more: hellcat goes up to 820 HP) also it's a naturally aspired engine without any turbo charger. You get the full V8 experience and it's much cheaper. They really spark joy and fun.
No, it's supercharged. Not N/A.

Dec 12, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #156 of 187
Yes it's supercharged. But I like the screaming of the supercharger. Also it has no dead spots like turbos have.
We probably have to get back on topic. Lol. Big brother will come and delete our posts.

Dec 12, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #158 of 187
I get what you’re saying, and I think it’s completely fair to expect world-class sound across the board at such a high price point. It sounds like you’re pretty satisfied with U12t. If I were you, I would consider that a win, and perhaps consider sailing off into the sunset to enjoy the music :)

But the reality is, there are many that will not share your opinion, and not enjoy U12t anywhere near as much as you do. A common complaint about U12t is that it lacks engagement, is boring, and/or find the smoothed out transients too soft and unexciting. Some have even said that they find the bass quite textureless. I’m sure you will most likely disagree with those opinions and that’s totally fine (fwiw, I thoroughly enjoy U12t too). But the point I’m trying to make is, a U12t may not be worth it’s $2k price tag to these people at all, and these same people may absolutely love Phonix’s sound profile and find it much more valuable than U12t, even at $4k. So it’s all relative.
I have a lot of IEMs. This has nothing to do with how I feel about the U12T/A. If you re-read my posts, I think you will find that I spend more time discussing the Vision Ears VE8 when referencing an IEM I personally love.

The U12T/A is certainly great for it’s price-point, but as I stated (I think twice now?) it’s a great all-arounder, but no one specific portion of it’s sound is what I would consider to be world-class. The much lauded bass could be considered the closest aspect of the signature approaching that level, and is perhaps currently the best in the world for BA bass, but in my opinion, is the equivalent of only really, really good DD bass… It’s not what I would consider top-tier bass, irrespective of driver type. And I would agree with the assessments that it is, if not a “boring” sound, certainly a predictable one… again, what I would call a lack of personality or POV. The reason I referenced the U12 is that it is widely considered to be one of the reigning champs at it’s price-point, due largely to how balanced and cohesive it is, and due to what it manages to do with BA bass… the two key issues I find the Phonix struggles with.

It’s all respect here, but I feel I need to say that I find your reply just a little disingenuous… I think I’ve been pretty clear that my critique of the Phonix has to do with the capabilities of the IEM itself. To essentially abandon discussion of the Phonix itself and make the statement that the issues I raise with the IEM are colored due to some love affair with the U12 seems to suggest that I am suffering from a touch of fanboyism, perhaps? At least that’s how I took it.

I have been on this forum a while. I started out, like many, often championing whatever had put me on a ramen diet for a month. But over the years, I think I have developed a small reputation for shooting straight when it comes to talking about how I hear something, good or bad, and for having a decent ear.

The Phonix is a very new IEM, and not many people have heard it yet. I think my input is valuable, even if it conflicts with what you hear, and I believe it would be a disservice to “sail off into the sunset with the U12”. Just speaking from personal experience, I know that whenever I am considering a new IEM -especially one costing what the Phonix does- I like to read forum discussions that feature the gamut of opinions, from the good to the bad and back again. I can’t imagine I’m alone there.

And again, if I did have to sail off into the sunset, does it have to be with the U12? That particular IEM hovers around 6th or 7th in my “only one IEM on a desert island” scenario, ha ha.

In any event, I hope you are not offended by anything I’ve written. If you’d like to debate any of my statements on the Phonix, I’m certainly game- I love a good discussion on audiophillia, even if everyone isn’t seeing eye to eye, and simply hearing things differently. In fact, I’d go so far as to say that those are my favorite discussions, because I tend to learn something, seeing things from another’s point of view. Not to harp on the VE8 again, but it took a rather (ahem) “spirited” discussion with a buddy for me to try that IEM again, after (an admittedly) too short initial audition. The result was I listened to the IEM again, saw his point, and while I still hear the deficiencies of the IEM, the good bits outweigh the bad bits for me, and it’s become a favorite… at least for very specific listening sessions. It the only thing I reach for when I am on a Talking Heads binge, for instance.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #159 of 187
I have a lot of IEMs. This has nothing to do with how I feel about the U12T/A. If you re-read my posts, I think you will find that I spend more time discussing the Vision Ears VE8 when referencing an IEM I personally love.

The U12T/A is certainly great for it’s price-point, but as I stated (I think twice now?) it’s a great all-arounder, but no one specific portion of it’s sound is what I would consider to be world-class. The much lauded bass could be considered the closest aspect of the signature approaching that level, and is perhaps currently the best in the world for BA bass, but in my opinion, is the equivalent of only really, really good DD bass… It’s not what I would consider top-tier bass. And I would agree with the assessments that it is, if not a “boring” sound, certainly a predictable one… again, what I would call a lack of personality or POV. The reason I referenced the U12 is that it is widely considered to be one of the reigning champs at it’s price-point, due largely to how balanced and cohesive it is, and due to what it manages to do with BA bass… the two key issues I find the Phonix struggles with.

It’s all respect here, but I feel I need to say that I find your reply just a little disingenuous… I think I’ve been pretty clear that my critique of the Phonix has to do with the capabilities of the IEM itself. To essentially abandon discussion of the Phonix itself and make the statement that the issues I raise with the IEM are colored due to some love affair with the U12 seems to suggest that I am suffering from a touch of fanboyism, perhaps? At least that’s how I took it.

I have been on this forum a while. I started out, like many, often championing whatever had put me on a ramen diet for a month. But over the years, I think I have developed a small reputation for shooting straight when it comes to talking about how I hear something, good or bad, and for having a decent ear.

The Phonix is a very new IEM, and not many people have heard it yet. I think my input is valuable, even if it conflicts with what you hear, and I believe it would be a disservice to “sail off into the sunset with the U12”. Just speaking from personal experience, I know that whenever I am considering a new IEM -especially one costing what the Phonix does- I like to read forum discussions that feature the gamut of opinions, from the good to the bad and back again. I can’t imagine I’m alone there.

And again, if I did have to sail off into the sunset, does it have to be with the U12? That particular IEM hovers around 6th or 7th in my “only one IEM on a desert island” scenario, ha ha.

In any event, I hope you are not offended by anything I’ve written. If you’d like to debate any of my statements on the Phonix, I’m certainly game- I love a good discussion on audiophillia, even if everyone isn’t seeing eye to eye, and simply hearing things differently. In fact, I’d go so far as to say that those are my favorite discussions, because I tend to learn something, seeing things from another’s point of view. Not to harp on the VE8 again, but it took a rather (ahem) “spirited” discussion with a buddy for me to try that IEM again, after (an admittedly) too short initial audition. The result was I listened to the IEM again, saw his point, and while I still hear the deficiencies of the IEM, the good bits outweigh the bad bits for me, and it’s become a favorite… at least for very specific listening sessions. It the only thing I reach for when I am on a Talking Heads binge, for instance.
No offence, but this conversation has drifted way off from your initial remark about Phonix not being worth $4k in your opinion and my response to that statement, so perhaps it’s best to leave it there so we don’t derail this thread any further. Sorry that Phonix didn’t work out for you. All the best!

Dec 12, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #160 of 187
That particular IEM hovers around 6th or 7th in my “only one IEM on a desert island” scenario, ha ha.
Please tell me some world class sounding IEMs according to your statements
I’m only curious, i’m not trying to antagonize your response, i’m only want to know

Dec 12, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #161 of 187
You
No offence, but this conversation has drifted way off from your initial remark about Phonix not being worth $4k in your opinion and my response to that statement, so perhaps it’s best to leave it there so we don’t derail this thread any further. Sorry that Phonix didn’t work out for you. All the best!
You've got quite the collection on your hands. Lol. How does that Mest indigo compare to your Odin?

Dec 12, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #162 of 187
You

You've got quite the collection on your hands. Lol. How does that Mest indigo compare to your Odin?
Both amazing IEM’s :) but MEST Indigo has surpassed Odin for me with its insane imaging/staging and overall coherence. MEST’s upper mids aren’t as forward as Odin but it has more upper treble extension and bass quantity.

Edit: if you’re interested, I ranked them (along with Phonix and EXT) here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rank-the-iems-youve-heard.454855/post-16700482

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #163 of 187
Discussing the merits and drawbacks of the Phonix does not serve to derail a thread dedicated to the Phonix.

Healthy disagreement is okay here, as long as nobody is calling those they disagree with “pretentious” (or worse). Informed discussion about an audiophile-marketed product, both it’s pluses and it’s minuses, is not only encouraged on HeadFi… it’s kind of why the forum exists. It’s a shame some of the newer members don’t seem to embrace this ideology.

In any event, I will continue to share my opinions about the Phonix as I listen to it, unless I end up returning it. If anyone takes umbrage with that, there is always another audiophile forum out there in the wilds of the internet, where dissenting opinions such as mine are not tolerated. Not my cuppa, but hey, it takes all types.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #164 of 187
Both amazing IEM’s :) but MEST Indigo has surpassed Odin for me with its insane imaging/staging and overall coherence. MEST’s upper mids aren’t as forward as Odin but it has more upper treble extension and bass quantity.

Edit: if you’re interested, I ranked them (along with Phonix and EXT) here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rank-the-iems-youve-heard.454855/post-16700482
Looks like you really love the Phonix. How about detail in tracks between the Indigo and Odin? I use the Odin as a point of reference for myself, since I really loved them.

Dec 12, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #165 of 187
Looks like you really love the Phonix. How about detail in tracks between the Indigo and Odin? I use the Odin as a point of reference for myself, since I really loved them.
I’d say that Odin still slightly edges MEST Indigo for detail retrieval. Odin is hyper-detailed lol. But MEST Indigo is still very detailed and I don’t find it to be lacking at all in that aspect. Plus, the Bone Conduction imaging coupled with the well balanced tuning makes the presentation so 3D and immersive. Def worth checking it out IMO :)

And yeah, I’m really loving Phonix. Bass quantity is probably my only gripe, but I think it works well with its presentation overall.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back