Get another Grado or something else?
Nov 14, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonWho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah. An RS2 would be great.

Sure, they would. The GS1000's are about the SR-404 + SRM-727II level or higher when properly amped but man, make it happen within a limited budget and/or no DIY skills.
frown.gif
The GS1000's are very picky on all setup components and might disappoint. This is why there is so many for sale. The RS2's don't show up as often as the RS1's. Just due to less fatigue than the RS1's (if happens). They are also more even and less fatiguing than the SR325i's, with better bass, smoother trebles and no audible resonances. Plus, the lightweight drivers allowing you to bob your head recklessly.

Nov 14, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #18 of 33
Hi, I tend to run a couple dB cut EQ around 2K on my 325's. Have you seen the the frequency response graphs on headphone.com?:

Products - HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears[0]=123&graphID[1]=153&graphID[2]=135&graphID[3]=255&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphone s

It's an interpretative dance, but I like mine better a little tamed around 2K.

That said ... I recommend a pair of Koss Porta-Pros. They do much the same for me as my 325's, but have a bit more entertaining bass ... and don't need an amp! Insanely better value ...

Nov 14, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #20 of 33
When I bought my 325i's, I did several hours of A / B comparison with the RS2.

I really wanted to buy the RS2 (pretty wood & all), but to my ears, the 325i was crisp and impactful, while the RS2 was syrupy & soft, by comparison.

I'll take the 325i's over the RS2's any day!
(but what do I know?)

Nov 14, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #21 of 33
Well burnt-in buttonless RS2's are nowhere less impactful than the SR325i's. I'd rather say, the latter lack the mid bass weight and definition the RS2's present. The SR325i's tend to resonate on some tones in the midrange while any higher Grado does not do this. Sure, they have more trebles but after burn-in their amount in the RS2's is just right.

Nov 14, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by smuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Budget is hard to tell, as prices for Grado's are insane compared to the US prices (SR-325i go for 510 USD here in germany) . I am willing to spend up to 400 - 450 USD, but to be honest have a hard time accepting the offical prices for Grado's here.

Equipment is Marantz CD72 or Computer -> Cambridge DACMagic -> Darkvoice 336SE

I love the 701s, but if you like the grado sound, stick with it and upgrade. I would say that the 701 has weaker bass and is slightly less bright than the grados I have heard. Also much more clear.

Nov 15, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try them with the iRiver ifp-799 or E10. Sorry but recommending here the Porta Pro's is funny at best.

Hehe, well, it was supposed to illustrate a point ... but the difference in value is Even funnier!

Nov 15, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by SierraHotel01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
majkel: interesting point about well burnt in RS2's - the ones I compared were brand new (maybe I need to revisit them).

How do you compare well burnt in RS1's with the 325i's & RS2's?

I already did several days ago in another thread about HD650 vs. Grado, or something. Please search for these two keywords and me as the user. Should appear.
wink.gif

Nov 15, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #26 of 33
"What I can say is that when somebody needs a direct upgrade from the SR325i's without losing any aspect present in those headphones - should go straight to the RS1's."

(several of your posts were very helpful, including the one quoted above - thanks majkel - I thank you; but my wallet hates you).

Love the 325i's so much (their "grab you by the throat" impact + insane detail), that the only upgrade of interest is finding a "325i-only-better" phone.

RS1's fed by a Mustang P-51: might be hard to beat in a "portable" rig.

Nov 15, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by SierraHotel01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RS1's fed by a Mustang P-51: might be hard to beat in a "portable" rig.

iRiver E10 with the RS1's is hard to beat... in the office... when it's not crowded.
wink.gif
I owned the SR325i's for a couple of months and made several comaparions of the RS2's and the RS1's. The new buttonless versions aren't like siblings. As you read my comments (from the thread regarding the GS1000's hope, too) it was explained there what happens. I added one more there. Last evening I was afraid the RS2's might arise the interest and I'd have hard time retracting my offer. Especially that my friend visited my home yesterday and said he prefered the RS2's to the GS1000's. It's kind of explainable - the RS2's are a choice of no measurable parameter so it probably happens that your soul or your heart makes the decision. Listening to the RS1's or the GS1000's is like "wow, lots of stuff done so amazing". Taking the RS2's is more like saying "this is so amazing that I don't care for any single thing done less than perfect". The RS2's are the master of synthesis. Burn-in and patience required. On the other hand, I bought them new, not the case with the SR325i's. The GS1000's were 50 hours old.

Nov 15, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the 701s, but if you like the grado sound, stick with it and upgrade. I would say that the 701 has weaker bass and is slightly less bright than the grados I have heard. Also much more clear.

I would say while the 701 is not as punchy as the MS2 it definitely has better bass because it goes deeper. Where the MS2 rolls off pretty quickly in the lower freq's, its almost like a k501 when it comes to bass. I also cannot listen to to the Grado's for more than say an hour and half, way too fatiguing and also really starts to hurt my ears. The MS2 does work really well with rock music though, and would present electronic music really well if the bass just went LOWER!!

Nov 16, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #30 of 33
I am about to sell the Grado 225 and buy a used Stax Classic-System SRS-3050 (SR-303 + SRM-323 II). I have not heard the HD650 with my DV 336SE (because it is still on its way to me) , but if I order the Stax I will most likely have to let them go as well, at least thats what I am telling myself
smily_headphones1.gif

The Stax Set would cost double as much as the Grado RS2 and the triple amount of a new HD650... OTOH, I would get something different to play with, keep my DV 336SE in case I don't like the Stax that much or with all kinds of music and of course in case the upgrade bug bites me again
wink.gif

I will need to make a decision until early sunday... but I am quite sure that I will pull the trigger on the Stax. Buuuut, that will surely be my last purchase for the month
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back