Get another Grado or something else?
Nov 13, 2008 at 8:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

smuh

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, I just received my first set of Grado's and I like their sound signature. Because of their pricing, I am currently looking at the Alessandro MS2's. And because I am going to get myself an additional set of cans for xmas I now consider the MS2's instead of the K701 or HD650th as a xmas present for myself
smily_headphones1.gif

I think I prefer brighter phones, that's why I thought the K701 were the right phones, but then the SR-225 came...
wink.gif
And once again I am very undecided in the head-fi world...

more blah blah:

So far I had the AKG K400, K501, Beyerdynamic DT 880, DT 440, Sennheiser HD 580, 280, 595, 495, AKG K 271, K 340, Audio Technica ATH-A700 and A900LTD. I think out of these I liked the K501 and DT 880 the most. I am not sure about the HD 580 anymore...

Nov 13, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #2 of 33
With having owned all those headphones, you're in a very good position to zero in on what you like best. I'm guessing you'll end up with the SR325i or one of the higher end Grados or Alessandros. Answering a couple questions may help others give you better input. What type of music do you listen to? And what associated equipment are you using, or what is your budget for upgrading this?

Nov 13, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #3 of 33
Budget is hard to tell, as prices for Grado's are insane compared to the US prices (SR-325i go for 510 USD here in germany) . I am willing to spend up to 400 - 450 USD, but to be honest have a hard time accepting the offical prices for Grado's here.

I listen to Diana Krall, AIR, Bebel Gilberto, George Winston, Lizz Wright, Miles Davis, Thievery Corporation, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Randy Crawford, David Sanborn, Zero 7... so Jazz, Blues, Electronica, Latin, ...

Equipment is Marantz CD72 or Computer -> Cambridge DACMagic -> Darkvoice 336SE

Nov 13, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 33
smuh: try contacting Ken Ball, a great guy who makes the best iPod LOD cables around, @ Audio Line Out (ALO).

He recently became an authorized Grado dealer, so if he can't ship you the stock version, ask him if he can ship recabled 325i's to Germany.

Just checked ALO website and got a quote of $41 to ship SR325i's ($295 ea.) to Germany.

My 325i's were an epiphiny from the first moment I put them on, and listened to Apple Lossless files through an RSA Tomahawk.
(Mustang P-51 on order)

So good that I gave my HD650's away. No point in keeping them.
Kept my SE530's, but IMHO, they can't hold a candle to the 325i's, and are now for portable use only.

As always, this is totally subjective, and YMMV.

My biggest problem today is: am I willing to sacrifice the 325i's razor sharp attack for the famous RS1 "fuzz" ? (may have to just save up for PS1 - possibly the only upgrade left).

Properly managed, the 325i's are that good!

(I personally subtract a few db in the 8khz passband only, to compensate for a significant hump in the 325i's FRC)

Hope you figure out a way to avoid the price rip off for 325i's over there. Suspect you would really enjoy them.

Keep us posted.

Nov 13, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #5 of 33
Wow, thanks for the great info and your efford!
beerchug.gif

I will contact Ken asap and see what he can do for me
smily_headphones1.gif
About the HD650... well, ummm... I bought a used pair just a few mins ago
biggrin.gif
But since I enjoy electronica as much as I enjoy jazz, blues, latin and so on, I enjoy different phones from time to time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #6 of 33
Hd650 / (SR225/325i) will complement each other just fine
wink.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by smuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About the HD650... well, ummm... I bought a used pair just a few mins ago
biggrin.gif
But since I enjoy electronica as much as I enjoy jazz, blues, latin and so on, I enjoy different phones from time to time.
smily_headphones1.gif

ummmm, smuh . . . . . I think you are pushing the limits of
:team more music: less equipment: by two or 3 pair

icon10.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #8 of 33
The 650's are a wonderful headphone - spacious, deep and velvety. You'll enjoy them. (I've still got a spare: HD600)

However... the 325i's (properly managed), through any one of Ray's amps, will grab you by the throat.
(IMHO)

paaj nailed it - they are complimentary.

Nov 14, 2008 at 10:28 AM Post #9 of 33
While we are talking about the 325i or MS2... I am about to pull the trigger on an RS2... and that will be (most likely) my last purchase for this month. HOPEFULLY!
wink.gif

NiceCans: think I need to update my sig
biggrin.gif
****... sometimes I hate this hobby!
wink.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by smuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While we are talking about the 325i or MS2... I am about to pull the trigger on an RS2... and that will be (most likely) my last purchase for this month. HOPEFULLY!
wink.gif

NiceCans: think I need to update my sig
biggrin.gif
****... sometimes I hate this hobby!
wink.gif

either that or buy much more music
wink.gif

btw, have you heard the 325's? They are significantly more forward than the other Grado's I have had. Stunning, but for some hard to take for long listens.

Nov 14, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #11 of 33
I am just about to do that
smily_headphones1.gif
Looking through a few magazines for recommendations on music, amazon and threads here right now
smily_headphones1.gif
But I think I will limit myself to 1-5 CD's for today
smily_headphones1.gif

Have not heard the 325(i)'s. To be honest, I never heard a Grado before I recieved the 225's. I got a good offer for a used RS2 and an offer for a HP2 and HP2i. Currently trying to figure out which one of them would make most sense for me to buy next.

Nov 14, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #12 of 33
You could sell a few of those phones, rejoin team more music-less equipment, and pick up a used GS1000. If you like the K701 and grados- this could be your dream phone.

Nov 14, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gu Sensei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like the K701 and grados- this could be your dream phone.

Damn! You had to go and get my curiosity up about one of the more expensive headphones out there
angry_face.gif

oh, and the correct conversion factor is: 1 pair of headphones = 25 CD's
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gu Sensei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could sell a few of those phones, rejoin team more music-less equipment, and pick up a used GS1000. If you like the K701 and grados- this could be your dream phone.

Right now I am thinking about buying a Stax 2050 set...
smily_headphones1.gif
I had the stax "earbuds"-set and liked them, but did not find them too comfortable and sold them because of that. I was even thinking about selling all dynamic phones and amp(s) and go Stax only, but it is much more fun this way
smily_headphones1.gif

A local dealer has the Stax and the GS1000, I might go and try and compare them, if they let me bring my Darkvoice and other stuff. Who knows what would happend if they let me use their amps, CDP's and interconnects... I would probably end up broke
wink.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #15 of 33
I wouldn't write off the 750PRO/Proline 750, either. They have a more optimal forwardness than the SR-225, IMHO, and do other things, like high frequency detail--325i excepted--and bass extension, better than the Grados. I thought the PL750 were everything the Grados aspired to be, and then some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back