Germanium's Sound blaster ZXR mod thread
Sep 21, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #256 of 272
11315311.png

Oct 9, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #261 of 272
Another upgrade performed. All smd amplifiers replaced by dip-8. Really incredible sound that is coming out.

Attachments

• EC6B952B-AB83-4089-875C-112B939DB1DF.jpeg
    EC6B952B-AB83-4089-875C-112B939DB1DF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 846B5882-001E-49B2-B7A2-7CBCC8D9453F.jpeg
    846B5882-001E-49B2-B7A2-7CBCC8D9453F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Mar 24, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #266 of 272
I know this thread might be abandoned, but hoping there's still someone around that can help.

I performed this mod a year or so ago, and honestly, have regretted it ever since. The RCA-out to my integrated amplifier sounds good. Very happy when listening to my speakers.

The headphone sound on the other hand, I feel, was completely ruined by this. I disagree with the OP on this one - I DO hear ear-piercing bright, which I think many are confusing for detailed. The low-end also feels like it now lacks dynamics, punch, fullness.

Anyway my question is this: Is there a 'reverse mod' I can do so that I still get the benefits of RCA-out audio quality (as it is right now), but revert to "OEM" headphone sound/quality?

In the meantime I've been bypassing this when using headphones and going out to a Schiit DAC and headphone amp.

Mar 24, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #267 of 272
I know this thread might be abandoned, but hoping there's still someone around that can help.

I performed this mod a year or so ago, and honestly, have regretted it ever since. The RCA-out to my integrated amplifier sounds good. Very happy when listening to my speakers.

The headphone sound on the other hand, I feel, was completely ruined by this. I disagree with the OP on this one - I DO hear ear-piercing bright, which I think many are confusing for detailed. The low-end also feels like it now lacks dynamics, punch, fullness.

Anyway my question is this: Is there a 'reverse mod' I can do so that I still get the benefits of RCA-out audio quality (as it is right now), but revert to "OEM" headphone sound/quality?

In the meantime I've been bypassing this when using headphones and going out to a Schiit DAC and headphone amp.
What steps did you exactly do? Did you follow it to a "T"? Were the Op-amps changed out and what caps did you use? Some of the caps are linked to different channels. I am trying to remember how the RCA-out is wired compared to the Headphone. I used the exact same brand caps, and also upgraded the op-amps to bursonaudio v5 and was blown away how much better everything sounds with the headphone port.

Mar 27, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #268 of 272
Hey there - thanks for the response! I basically did exactly what the OP outlined and yes followed it to a "T" (also verified to make sure I didn't make some of the 'oopsies' that others made along the way.

The parts I used are the same black caps that the OP used as well. Basically went carbon-copy replica. Used the recommended websites here to purchase them.

I didn't update the op-amps. They seemed ok to me originally so didn't feel the need to upgrade, but if you think that would improve my situation I'm all ears! (pun intended :wink: )

Mar 28, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #269 of 272
Another observation from today. I've realized that the EQ on the headphones, especially on the bass side (say 125hz and below) makes very very little difference above about +3db. I can literally max it out to +12 and the bass still doesn't "Hit" like it used to.

Now, for fun, I ran RCA-out (which is normally connected to my receiver) but to my headphone amp instead.. and those same EQ adjustments make HUGE changes. But even on the RCA side though, I've found 8k and 16k to be bumped by about 6db. So we definitely have some differences between RCA-out and headphone-out operation, but still universally have a bump on the high-end among both.

I have Anthem Room Correction equipment arriving this afternoon to test this myself (using ARC Genesis) and truly see what this thing is spitting out. I know my amp and speakers will color the results but it should still give me a general idea. Might undo the mod completely just for fun and re-test so I can get a before/after.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #270 of 272
So looking at it a bit more. Typically the RCA are pre-amplified so they are basically the same audio just pre-opamp. It's been a few years since I had this sound card. I never ran much EQ on this card as a like a very neutral sound.
I did feel like it gave the sound a bit of a warmer sound but I also noticed more details in the highs and lows with the base a bit tighter and less boomy. Everall bass might be less but I felt it was more natural sounding. Similar sound to a good tube amp.

Your standalone amp might be better than the integrated one especially if your using the stock opamps. The bursonaudio v5 will definitely sound better but they are pretty pricey. Think the kits is like $100. You could also have a noisy PSU which can impact the sound quality significantly or another device generating EMI. Would be interested to see more scientific before and after.

it might depend on what your looking for you might be happier with a topping e30 USB dac and separate amp which is what I replaced mine with. I got tired of PCI sound cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back