Germanium's Sound blaster ZXR mod thread
Mar 9, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #211 of 272
I want to do this - thanks for what you've posted here, very interesting. My only question for now is after shorting the caps as you've shown, what are you soldering the new caps to? The old shorted leads? This is what I have not been able to determine in reading about the Zxr cap mods.

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #212 of 272
Shortening is needed only where it shown as shortening. Then just solder new caps "legs" to the old caps, germanium explained that new caps will override old one (i don't fully understand this but he is the man who understand how it flows) so just keep polarity in mind and solder new caps legs to old ones under the board.

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #213 of 272
The caps we use for this mod aren't polarized, at least none of the caps anyone so far has used and posted about.

Oh and look what I got to review from Burson Audio:

I am seeing if they will send me out the 2nd stage also, (V5-OPA-S is what goes in the other socket). 

Mar 9, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #214 of 272
At least germanium told me to look at writings on caps and use it for choosing right "polarity" though it is not truly polarized.

Mar 11, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #215 of 272
I am only interested in upgrading the stereo fronts, not surround. Will I still need 7 caps or less because of that? Also, it appears Germanium (and yourself) doubled up on the caps for the fronts - it that so and why? Thanks!

Jan 9, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #216 of 272
bump

Jan 12, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #217 of 272
Didn't realize how old my thread is here. Almost three years old. A"out the polarity of the caps I used, yes these are nonpolarized but it is best to tie the outer foil to ground to reduce noise. No other reason than that. Direction of writing indicates outer foil, tail end of writing is the lead that is attached to outer foil.

Jan 16, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #218 of 272
Also good to note with caps like I used (ERSE PluseX), be careful with the leads because they can/will break off and you'll either have to solder the lead to the cap (like I did) or buy another one.

I wanted to share my new review of the Burson Audio V5-OPA and V5i Series op-amps since this thread played a role in me being selected by Burson Audio.

Wanted to give some credit to Germanium for opening the door for what is about to come. Soon you'll see a "ZoSo's SMD Op-Amp ZXR Tear Out" thread!

For now here the review (still about 1/4 of it missing until I get replacement parts from Burson Audio):

https://zosoncsu.com/reviews/

http://www.head-fi.org/products/burson-audio-supreme-sound-opamp-v5/reviews/17827

The op-amps you see that are surface mount (circled in red and green), I will be changing those with BB OPA604AU's all around.

(Every image/video you see used in my reviews/posts/website/forums are all taken by me and edited by me.)

This is the video I am trying to expand on to create a video review. I would welcome any ideas on ways to use the written review + this type of analysis to make a full-length video review of an op-amp series.

Mar 1, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #220 of 272
i have one question to Germanium regarding shortening of caps:  is it harmfull for the card bypassing  with metalic caps without  without shortening of caps of front and surround ( green and red), what will the difference in sound.
casava 

Mar 1, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #221 of 272
i have one question to Germanium regarding shortening of caps:  is it harmfull for the card bypassing  with metalic caps without  without shortening of caps of front and surround ( green and red), what will the difference in sound.
casava 

Soundstage depth will shrink is the main difference.

May 17, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #223 of 272
Hey, so can someone sum up what i have to do?

I will use my ZxR mostly for Headphone use.

1. Therefore I would only need to short the red caps right?

2. Would shorting the caps increase quality even without adding new caps?
And are there any Risks?

3. Then what about the caps, do i need all 5 (2x24uF and 3x12uF) or can I leave some out?(again only for Headphone use)

4. What are good parameters? is 24uf and 12uF the best thing to go, is 20uf and 10uf fine?Whats the lowest Voltage Rating I could use?

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #224 of 272
I've read through the whole post and haven't seen the question.
What if I only care about headphones. I game and use SBX mostly for COD and PUBG at the moment. I occasionally listen to music but only through my HD800s.
I have the Sparko's OP amps and a Darkvoice HP amp with some tubes I like.

If I truly only care about the headphone portion, I know I don't have to do all the shorts but can I delete some of the capacitors as well?

I've looked at this thread a few times over the last couple years and feel like this could be the last step to take my sound to another level to make kids cry more in games. :-D

OOPS! - After reading all 15 pages again, I see the previous post asked pretty much the same question. Well, either way, a response would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back