Germanium's Sound blaster ZXR mod thread
Nov 12, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #167 of 272
Well I have said this over and over in this thread, if you aren't confident you can handle the soldering part of the mod then don't even attempt it.

With me for example, all I needed was the diagram and the replacement cap values and I was off to the races.  If you don't feel like you are somewhere in that ballpark, especially the soldering part, don't attempt it.

Nov 12, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #168 of 272
Well I have said this over and over in this thread, if you aren't confident you can handle the soldering part of the mod then don't even attempt it.

With me for example, all I needed was the diagram and the replacement cap values and I was off to the races.  If you don't feel like you are somewhere in that ballpark, especially the soldering part, don't attempt it.

I Agree

Nov 12, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #169 of 272
i some how am not fully confident on dual board pcb

These are actually at least 4 layer boards with internal connections within the layers so real easy to damage. 4 layer meaning that there are 4 layers within the board that have conductive traces & there are pins that connect the various layer to each other at critical points.

Nov 14, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #171 of 272
kindly tell me more detail about pcb i.e layers and necessary care to be taken during replacing and desoldering caps as im new to dual lay pcb

There are hollow pins where the through hole electrolytic capacitors attach. These pins not only make connection at the two surfases of the board but also make connections to traces that are on the inside of the board as well. Probable connectionare in the case of the coupling capacitor connection is a pass though connection for the internal headphone amp which is likely direct coupled. Accidently pull that pin out in the process of removing a coupling cap & you may break the internal connection to the headphone amp as well. For this reason I do not recommend removing these caps, shorting them accomplishes the same purpose without the risk of damage to the board.

Nov 14, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #173 of 272
Why are you asking us to explain what has been detailed in this thread by 3 different people?

Here is my posted step by step:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/705284/germaniums-sound-blaster-zxr-mod-thread/15#post_10353109

If you have a specific question that is not covered in detailed (I doubt that exist for someone who can complete the mod with confidence, but it is possible) then ask us.  Asking how to short the caps instead of removing the caps is covered and discussed a lot in this thread.

I'm not trying to be a d*ck here, but the stuff you have posted previously was borderline trolling.  I'm trying to see if you are serious about what you are even asking.  How about you show us a shot of your ZXR inside your PC.

Nov 15, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #174 of 272
im so sory for repeating the questions:

but im not yet clear about, the purple and green replacement(placement /positioning of the replace cap is not my problems, removing/cuting out the the capacitor of the board which is not yet clear

Nov 15, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #175 of 272
  im so sory for repeating the questions:

but im not yet clear about, the purple and green replacement(placement /positioning of the replace cap is not my problems, removing/cuting out the the capacitor of the board which is not yet clear

No capacitors are removed or cutout with my mod. Do like I said in my pm with you & take it to a professional along with the diagram & they would know exactly what to do no questions asked. It really is a very very simple mod. Also take the pictures provided as that tell them what kind of capacitor to use.

Nov 23, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #176 of 272
Hi, I am a new user. Also buy the creative ZXR.

Hare also modification.

1.- According to the image need not unsolder the coupling capacitors in total are 12 and only have to weld and make a bridge diode filament.

2. The non-polar capacitor 12 uf x250v - 3 units (purple) replace the capacitors stock of the pcb.

3. The non-polar capacitor 24 uf 250v x - 2 units (green) replace the capacitors stock of the pcb.

And for replacement of operational amplifiers which to choose:

AD827SQ vs  4627-1  vs MUSES 02

AD8597 vs NE5534N vs OPA627BP

Greetings from Perú.

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #177 of 272
Hi, I am a new user. Also buy the creative ZXR.

Hare also modification.

1.- According to the image need not unsolder the coupling capacitors in total are 12 and only have to weld and make a bridge diode filament.

2. The non-polar capacitor 12 uf x250v - 3 units (purple) replace the capacitors stock of the pcb.

3. The non-polar capacitor 24 uf 250v x - 2 units (green) replace the capacitors stock of the pcb.

And for replacement of operational amplifiers which to choose:

AD827SQ vs  4627-1  vs MUSES 02

AD8597 vs NE5534N vs OPA627BP

Greetings from Perú.

1. Yes just short out the coupling caps with a piece of plain wire , no need to remove the original caps as the short takes them out of the circuit electrically.

2.& 3. Non polar caps need to be metallized film. While one can remove the original power supply caps I do not recommend removing them as these regulators on this card are switch mode regulators & can be quite finicky. Reducing the amount of capacitance can lead to the regulators operating at a higher than intended frequency causing them to fail sooner. Note that there are nonpolarized electrolytics, do not use them for bypassing as they will offer you no improvement in sound.

As for the opamps I'm just using the stock opamps & they sound just fine to me. Switching opamps is more about obtaining a more suitable balance though this can improve perceived resolution I was going all out to improve resolution only without significantly coloring the sound compared to stock. Through listening to this card on other setups & comparing it straight across to a stock ZXR card with no modifications I feel that I have obtained my goal.

Welcome to Headfi DarkThanatoS. Be careful this hobby has the bad habit of draining your wallet & bank accounts.

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #180 of 272
   Germanium, You will be able to post photos of both side of the PCB as well display the final work.

Thanks.

I did not take any pictures of the back side of the card before modification & I have since hot glued the metalized  film caps to the board permanently so I can't really take them off now however there is pictures from others who have done this mod & from someone who has drawn the schematic of the changes that need to be done on the back side of the card.

NCSUZoSo provided a picture of the backside of the card that has the proper shorts applied before adding bypass caps  & after adding them. NoOneLt provided the one with the schematic drawn on the backside of a picture of the card. I provided the last piece in that drawing.

NoOneLt has not actually modified his card yet but has kindly provided his computer drawing skills to this thread of mine. I'm not very good at drawing period & I'am even worse at doing so on the computer. I tried doing just one of the capacitor schematic drawings & it took me an hour just to get one that was just marginally acceptable to me so Much Thanks to NoOneLt for helping me out.

The final mod pictures of mine are already provided on the first post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back