German Maestro GMP 8.40 D Professional / German Precission in sound reproduction
Dec 14, 2010 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

NuBreed

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there, i always was curious about MB Quart products, headphones to be specific. But i was sceptic about quality of sound of MBQ.. 
My friend has MB Quart Phone 90x.. and he is totally happy with them.. so i decided to get one. But as most of you know, they are no longer in production..

Couple days ago i found German Maestro GMP 8.40D Professional in mint condition, and MB Quart Quart Phone 30 [used, pads are worn out]
I bougt GMP 8.40D ... and now i got question. Anyone Ever listen to them? How do they sound.. they will be at mine place in thursday i think.

I also can buy Stanton SR-225.. which are MB Quarts, but not sure which model....

Thx For Answers

Dec 21, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 22
Finally.. i Have them.. Here are some pics of Them..

Dec 23, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #4 of 22
Well, they sound very natural and neutral at first sight. Bass is present behind the mids, which are  superior in Vocals for me. Highs are very strong, but neutral. GMP have good soundstage, its wider than deeper i think, but they are in burning process, so i will describe the sound better after 60-100hrs.   I can tell, that they Beat HD555 from wery first note that you hear...  Faster, stronger, more neutral and clear sound they produce. HD555s sounds like they are behind curtain or something like that, GMPs are playing straight in you ear.. Better when louder.. Bass is increasing when you pull volume knob up.. They are easy to drive... 40ohm...  Iriver t10 handle them just fine with proper bass amount [eq on]... From PC soundcard Xonar D2 .. no comment :)  Beauty Sound... So Crisp, with Deep bass and sweet Highs... im in love i think....   i want to try some Gel pads from Beyer, i now they match perfect... The bass will  be Faster..better....stronger...stronger...stronger....   :wink:

Dec 23, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #5 of 22
NeBreed, I'm glad you enjoy the 8.40. I have the 8.35 is the 35ohm version, and after a year of a heavy use the only think I can say is that I'm super happy with this hps. The sound is very natural and balanced espesially in this pad configuration of the 8.40. You're right about the sound stage, is wider and deeper (about 75% of the K702 sound stage).If you want more bass, you can try add some felt over the protective net of the driver, or just take the net out and replase it with felt ( the net is manly dust and hair protector), the felt will add more natural bass to the sound. The thicker the felt will be, the more bass you'll get...

The second option is just to order the 8.35 pads.

Here more pics of the 8.35 felt pads.T

Dec 23, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #6 of 22

Quote:
NeBreed, I'm glad you enjoy the 8.40. I have the 8.35 is the 35ohm version, and after a year of a heavy use the only think I can say is that I'm super happy with this hps. The sound is very natural and balanced espesially in this pad configuration of the 8.40. You're right about the sound stage, is wider and deeper (about 75% of the K702 sound stage).If you want more bass, you can try add some felt over the protective net of the driver, or just take the net out and replase it with felt ( the net is manly dust and hair protector), the felt will add more natural bass to the sound. The thicker the felt will be, the more bass you'll get...

The second option is just to order the 8.35 pads.

Here more pics of the 8.35 felt pads.T

Oh.. The guy from The Rabbit Album..  :wink: We spoke earlier...
Well  i was thinkin about those pads from picture of yours.. but the price is way to heavy for my empty pocket :wink:

I'll try to put some felt instead the stock net. I am curious about this went holes around the driver.. i'll try to cover it wit something with more density. They are also some holes inside in the back side of the driver..
My friend told me to cover them or just fix'em with hot glue or patafix, to increase the presuure behind the membran of the driver.. we'll see.. how does it works ..... 

Dec 23, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #7 of 22

Quote:
Quote:

Oh.. The guy from The Rabbit Album..  :wink: We spoke earlier...
Well  i was thinkin about those pads from picture of yours.. but the price is way to heavy for my empty pocket :wink:

I'll try to put some felt instead the stock net. I am curious about this went holes around the driver.. i'll try to cover it wit something with more density. They are also some holes inside in the back side of the driver..
My friend told me to cover them or just fix'em with hot glue or patafix, to increase the presuure behind the membran of the driver.. we'll see.. how does it works ..... 

The felt will be my first option, the holes inside can also increase the treble, but not sure one this one.

Dec 23, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #8 of 22
Damn.. i don't need to increase the treble.. They are just fine to me..  to be honest, i'm turning down trebles a bit while listening..  I think i just need to used to it sound reproduction, that is different from any of my past phones.

Dec 23, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #9 of 22

Quote:
Damn.. i don't need to increase the treble.. They are just fine to me..  to be honest, i'm turning down trebles a bit while listening..  I think i just need to used to it sound reproduction, that is different from any of my past phones.

Again, I'm not sure if you cover all of them, looks to me that the driver will push everything out, I mean in all the sound spectrum. Maybe you can start with the felt mod, is more easy to make, and I'm sure you'll get a good result. About the holes mod you can start with the down holes (lol). The ones that can effect the lower frequencies first.

Dec 23, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #10 of 22
How does the German Maestro compare with the Philips HP 1000? I know from experience the Philips will only improve with a better set up only to sound equally as good as my K240 DF for pure listening. 

The least you need is a clean signal and a good amplifier.

Dec 23, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #11 of 22

Quote:
How does the German Maestro compare with the Philips HP 1000? I know from experience the Philips will only improve with a better set up only to sound equally as good as my K240 DF for pure listening. 

The least you need is a clean signal and a good amplifier.

Yes HP1000 need a good source and a good amplification to show  how  good they Are. 

Dec 23, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #12 of 22

Quote:
Quote:

Again, I'm not sure if you cover all of them, looks to me that the driver will push everything out, I mean in all the sound spectrum. Maybe you can start with the felt mod, is more easy to make, and I'm sure you'll get a good result. About the holes mod you can start with the down holes (lol). The ones that can effect the lower frequencies first.

I don't think that covering the bottom holes will improve lower frequencies :wink:  It will work as good as the upper ones.. or else  :)

I Found some old pads from HP910 [philips]  They match GMP 8.40D... The driver is closer to the ear with them.. Mids are more open and stonger, so as bass.. wow.. easy improvement..

I think that Pads from HP890 will match better , they are more circural, as the ones on pics.. more like original ones.  Hope i will get them soon... better option that expensive pads from Beyer!

Dec 23, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #13 of 22

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't think that covering the bottom holes will improve lower frequencies :wink:  It will work as good as the upper ones.. or else  :)

I'm not sure, this is just my two cents worth, and if it will work as good as the upper ones you'll get more treble as well.

Dec 23, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #14 of 22

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not sure, this is just my two cents worth, and if it will work as good as the upper ones you'll get more treble as well.

I think, that there is no difference which hole you cover.. it will affect on all spectrum of sound, no matter if its down one, or upper one...  

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #15 of 22
EDIT: Pads from HP890 will not work with GMP. They Are bigger that the ones from HP910/  My friend have GMP and HP890.. This are his words

Users who are viewing this thread

Back