General Recommendations under $300
Jan 30, 2023 at 3:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

compwaco

New Head-Fier
I am interested in getting a new set of headphones. I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD555 and a pair of Grado SR-225.
They have both been here for around 15 years and I was thinking it might be a good time to get something new.
I would like to be in the under $300 range. I really like the timbre of the Grados and the way the Sennheisers play loud rock.

What is out there that would be a good improvement?

In the (distant) past I have used Audio-Technica, Shure, Beyer & Stax.
All had pros & cons but none were terrible.
I have a friend who strongly recommends Sony.

What do you folks think?

Jan 30, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #3 of 9
I think Sennheiser are good in this price range. I would avoid feeding the dragon but It's hard not to recommend the comfortable and clean Hifiman Sundara (planar) but it cost 50$ more than your budget but I think it's worth it. Speed and precision of the planar is unrivaled at this price but tuning has to get used to. Great for casual general use as well as music.
As for stuff below 170, I personally like the Sennheiser HD-25, uncomfortable but very exciting sound signature. I love it and easy to put in the bag. The Audio technica m50 is worth it if you like a very fun and engulfing V-shape signature but it's a bit bloated.
You need to know if you want a closed or open pair of cans.

Jan 30, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #4 of 9
I would go with HE400i 2020 or Sundara unless you have a healthy amp. If you don't, a pair of HD 600/650/6XX will not sound like you got your money's worth. If you already have a strong solid state amp or even better, a good OTL tube amp, the HD 600 family can scale to incredible heights.

Might be worth looking for used pair of Grado Hemps since you like the Grado sound. I don't have any Grados but I have read dozens of reports here that the Hemps are magic in the price range and specifically for rock.

Feb 6, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #5 of 9
I would go with HE400i 2020 or Sundara unless you have a healthy amp. If you don't, a pair of HD 600/650/6XX will not sound like you got your money's worth. If you already have a strong solid state amp or even better, a good OTL tube amp, the HD 600 family can scale to incredible heights.

Might be worth looking for used pair of Grado Hemps since you like the Grado sound. I don't have any Grados but I have read dozens of reports here that the Hemps are magic in the price range and specifically for rock.

Howdy again, gimmeheadroom. Do you have any thoughts on the HFM 400se and X4? I've heard they are not the most comfortable, but sound pretty good for low cost planars. A recent Sundara would probably be better of course, if you have the $$. (That's what I always hear anyway.)

Some folks at Headphones.com are also still apparently fairly high on the Senn HD560S. I have not listened to em, but tried one for the fit, and found it not quite as comfortable as my Beyer DT-770's. Bass extension and technicals are supposedly pretty good though for a lower-cost open dynamic. Air/HF is a bit rolled off though, and it also looks bright in other spots.

What else is there that's new in this price range? AKG K371, I guess (sorta new anyway), but the hinges and build are an issue. And I'm not as enamored with the sound sig as some others, despite all the hype.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #6 of 9
Howdy again, gimmeheadroom. Do you have any thoughts on the HFM 400se and X4? I've heard they are not the most comfortable, but sound pretty good for low cost planars. A recent Sundara would probably be better of course, if you have the $$. (That's what I always hear anyway.)

Some folks at Headphones.com are also fairly high on the Senn HD560S. I have not listened to em, but tried one for the fit, and found it not quite as comfortable as my Beyer DT-770's. Bass extension and technicals are supposedly pretty good though for an open dynamic. Air/HF is a bit rolled off though, and it also looks bright in other spots.

What else is there that's new in this price range? AKG K371, I guess (sorta new anyway), but the hinges and build are an issue. And I'm not as enamored with the sound sig as some others, despite all the hype.

Hi @ADUHF long time no speak! :)

I have not heard the SE... when you wrote X4 did you mean Fidelio? I have no experience with either so can't speak to those.

The Sundaras go on sale often, I think they would be a good value except for the fact the i and se models are often at blowout prices.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Feb 6, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for the reply! The HE-X4 was apparently a Drop/HFM collab. Here are Resolve's reviews and comparisons of the 400se and X4 from a year or two ago...

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #8 of 9
I am interested in getting a new set of headphones. I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD555 and a pair of Grado SR-225.
They have both been here for around 15 years and I was thinking it might be a good time to get something new.
I would like to be in the under $300 range. I really like the timbre of the Grados and the way the Sennheisers play loud rock.

What is out there that would be a good improvement?

In the (distant) past I have used Audio-Technica, Shure, Beyer & Stax.
All had pros & cons but none were terrible.
I have a friend who strongly recommends Sony.

What do you folks think?
Meze 59 headphone have some nice spec you might want to be interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back