General headphone ignorance
Feb 13, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #61 of 130
Mine were the Modded ESW9 and these two guys who considered themselves knowledgable audiophiles were using "Beats by Dr. Dre" and the Bose Tri-ports.

Don't come to the court unless you got game!
17-dollars-is-gangsta-fail.jpg

Feb 13, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #62 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaubertuba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed.

I suppose you could always make the point that a $1,000 investment in headphone gear has far greater a sound-quality benefit than a much greater investment in speaker equipment. Unfortunately the point is moot if the person you're talking to has no idea there are audiophiles out there who will pay upwards of $25,000 (or even ten times that) to get the best sound out of their listening room/equipment.

For the "casual listener," Bose is the epitome of technology (yes their marketing perpetuates the perception). You need to be somewhat of a music fanatic (and I expect most on here wouldn't shy away from that label
wink.gif
) to really appreciate why you would want to spend anything more.

Ofcourse, only those who are to audio as junkies are to heroin, constantly striving for, craving, the euphoria that is high fidelity.

Feb 13, 2009 at 8:58 AM Post #63 of 130
Woah! This threads had more comments than I thought it would. I guess the ironic thing is, the main reason I got into headphones in the first place was because my friend let me listen to a pair of his BOSE, I did then however do some research and found out that BOSE are quite poor when it comes to music, which correct me if I'm wrong, is BOSE's whole marketing strategy? The fact that they are 'the greatest headphones ever.'

People mentioned my age which I guess is fair enough but even my dad got sucked in by Bose, he bought some speakers for his iMac, I tried to warn him away but he didn't listen. I guess I can forgive him however as he has some Senn HD-25's
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #64 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple254 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People mentioned my age which I guess is fair enough but even my dad got sucked in by Bose, he bought some speakers for his iMac, I tried to warn him away but he didn't listen. I guess I can forgive him however as he has some Senn HD-25's
very_evil_smiley.gif

Looks like he was already suckered before the ownership of the Bose
wink.gif

In Apple's defense, their products truly do seem to be quality, just overpriced, imo.

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #65 of 130
Germania that pic is awesomeness
beerchug.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #66 of 130
Well imagine what people tell me when they see my new Phonitor and ask how much that one costs.

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #67 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple254 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Point him here...

Swan Active Desktop

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #69 of 130
Just a quick message to Maxvla, that is a fine point you raise there about Apple's marketing, although he has been using Mac since the Apple II
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, Gluegun, I may have to point myself there! I like the product description 'The Swan D1080MkII produces the best sound ever in a budget 2.0-channel Swan desktop system.' But what is 'best' to some people may be horrible to someone else. (I believe I have learned that since being on Head-Fi :p)

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:31 AM Post #70 of 130
Case in point, the D2000 to me are the worst expensive headphone I've ever heard. After hearing them for the first time I cannot understand what makes people put $1000 into mods and custom cups for them. I said at the time if I didn't know what they were I'd have said they were $20 at Walmart no-name brand. But some people totally love them.

Feb 13, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #71 of 130
Well mods have nothing to do with the begin product for me anyways. The HFI780 is no comparison to the ALO-780J imo

Feb 13, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #72 of 130
I tried explaining that to my mom about bose marketing. Took a bit but she understood. I even talked a few buddies into better headphones. Couple of them was glad I did.

Feb 13, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #73 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and I would've said to the Bose dealer, "well you know what they say, no highs, no lows, it must be Bose." Then I would've put on my Grados before he had a chance to respond.

That made me laugh
biggrin.gif

I remember when I first came to this website and people were suggesting me to try out headphones.

First shop I went into I said:"I'm looking for some good headphones". He then guides me straight to the Bose headphones
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #74 of 130
if u wanna make an avg man realise bose sucks.. ask him 'if u think Bose is the best why do Studios & professionals not use Bose?..why do artists not use Bose on stage?'

then explain to the person why Bose sucks..because this time he/she ll listen.

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #75 of 130
Yer thats true actually, I was watching a program last night on TV and it was about musicians and being in studios and countless numbers were wearing DT990's and what a surprise, NO BOSE!

Also people that have Monster Beats have obviously fallen for the fact that Dr Dre 'CREATED' them and uses them for mixing; which is really quite foolish because I would bet my life that he doesn't use them while in a studio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back