General headphone ignorance
Feb 13, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #47 of 130
I don't even bother arguing with them. I see Skullcandy(s) and Bose all the time; on the streets, on campus. They're annoying. Even some of my friends have the $20 In-ear Skullcandies. They're freakin' annoying. Just wait til I get my Denon C551...

Feb 13, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #48 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless you know how to really appreciate the nuances of good audio equipment, most people generally prefer the artificial bass of Bose and the "dead clarity" they make by filtering out all the little details.

It's like trying to get somebody who loves twinkies to appreciate a really good pastry (and let me say, I love twinkies).

Are you kidding, twinkies are a really good pastry. I think a person who loved candycorn would be a more apt comparison.

1108570123x53fbB.jpg

yuck.

Feb 13, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #49 of 130
But candy corn is GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD.

I think food in general is a bad example.

Feb 13, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #50 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But candy corn is GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD.

I think food in general is a bad example.

hehe... I joke. not rly serious about examples. Just wanted to make a post with candycorn in it.
tongue.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #52 of 130
haha, to the guy who posted about the bose rep:

That reminds me of when I worked in sales at Futureshop. There was a monster rep there boasting about their new line of cables, dr dre headphones, etc etc, then tells a few of us how monster is giving us special staff discount on any monster products for the next however many months (more discounted than the regular cost/staff price), and I just looked at him and said, "Why would I want that when I can buy 50 ft of cat5 ethernet cable for 2$ and get better sound quality?"

His jaw just dropped as though to say "are you on crack....?"

roosta: thats because of good sales people like myself, hehe. Bose is smart in the sense that they pay very large spiff compared to other manufacturers, so sales staff push bose like no tomorrow.

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #53 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nearly every argument in this forum is due to people unable to make peace with differences in opinion, and the majority of people here are adults. :O)

Funny stuff...
wink.gif
atsmile.gif

nG

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #54 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lots of Bose threads lately. Wonder why.

and skullcandy. I think people just like to reassure themselves of how superior they are to the 'suckers' who use either of the other two. In my opinion conversations of either company dont belong here if its only to continuously belittle them. I mean seriously guys, the horse is dead and burried but you're still wacking the headstone.

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #55 of 130
I find that the simplest solution is just to put the cans on their stubborn heads for a half a second and generally they magically change their tune!!! lol

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #56 of 130
The Best way to convince them is to throw yours on their ears.

I had someone tell me that "Da Beets (as in teh Dr. Dre headphone) is da bestest headphone EVA!" I asked them if they would like to try mine and they agreed. A giant smile crossed over their face.

Then he said it was because my stuff was all rigged out like it is. I let him plug it into his headphone port of the ipod and it was still just a tiny bit better than the BOSE. We did the same comparison on my iPod and the difference was quite noticible.....

That guy who claimed his Bose were awesome downloaded or encoded all of his MP3 at 128kbps :facepalm: :fail:

Feb 13, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #57 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Best way to convince them is to throw yours on their ears.

I had someone tell me that "Da Beets (as in teh Dr. Dre headphone) is da bestest headphone EVA!" I asked them if they would like to try mine and they agreed. A giant smile crossed over their face.

Then he said it was because my stuff was all rigged out like it is. I let him plug it into his headphone port of the ipod and it was still just a tiny bit better than the BOSE. We did the same comparison on my iPod and the difference was quite noticible.....

That guy who claimed his Bose were awesome downloaded or encoded all of his MP3 at 128kbps :facepalm: :fail:

What headphones were they?

Feb 13, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #58 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, I bartend while I study for the bar exam (what lawyers have to pass to become lawyers in the US, after finishing law school) and a Bose dealer came in the other day. I was about to get off and pulled out my Grados and he said something to the effect of "when you're ready to upgrade those headphones, give me a call" and gave me his card. I really found it hard not to laugh.

...and I would've said to the Bose dealer, "well you know what they say, no highs, no lows, it must be Bose." Then I would've put on my Grados before he had a chance to respond.

Feb 13, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #60 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meloncoly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are many that won't understand the hobby or the worth of $300+ headphones/earphones...

Indeed.

I suppose you could always make the point that a $1,000 investment in headphone gear has far greater a sound-quality benefit than a much greater investment in speaker equipment. Unfortunately the point is moot if the person you're talking to has no idea there are audiophiles out there who will pay upwards of $25,000 (or even ten times that) to get the best sound out of their listening room/equipment.

For the "casual listener," Bose is the epitome of technology (yes their marketing perpetuates the perception). You need to be somewhat of a music fanatic (and I expect most on here wouldn't shy away from that label
wink.gif
) to really appreciate why you would want to spend anything more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back