Geek Wold Discussion
Sep 4, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #1,142 of 1,620
Curious if anyone has done a mesh mod a la Blon on the GK10?

I haven't, but I will give it a go for you. What are you hoping this will do?

Edit: switching from metal grill to metal mesh probably won't change a great deal, it's usually only if there's a material dampener involved (a la stock Blon filter)

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #1,143 of 1,620
I haven't, but I will give it a go for you. What are you hoping this will do?
Wonder if and how this will change the bass profile. If the treble gets too spicy there's the tissue damper tuning option too.
Hope the stock mesh won't be damaged by removal.

Edit: yes I was wondering if there's any mesh damper too.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #1,144 of 1,620
Wonder if and how this will change the bass profile. If the treble gets too spicy there's the tissue damper tuning option too.
Hope the stock mesh won't be damaged by removal.

Removing the stock grill I can see a very fine mesh attached to the back of it. Whether this is sonically neutral I don't know, but I have removed and replaced with KBear metal grill (that is identical but without at mesh back).

On initial listening, it doesn't appear to have changed anything. Treble not spicy, bass no different. Then again my GK10 is after both vents have been poked and clinipore placed on the concha vent. I noticed a drastic change to bass profile from the initial poke and some restoration of that with clinipore covering the vent (but not to the same stock levels). Point being, it's probably best if someone else can help with these comparisons as my GK10 will differ from yours :)

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #1,145 of 1,620
EQ'd to my own preferences, there really is something unique about the GK10, and it's not just the piezos. I find myself often preferring the more exotic timbre and the formula on the mids of this set over the raw technicalities of the KZ BA10 which I received at the same time. If a v2.0 of the GK10 is released I would order a set without a 2nd thought.

Ian I see that you also have the Aladdin, which seems like the closest thing to great BA/DD tuned hybrid. How is the treble on that set compared to the Geek? I'm very tempted by that pair based on the review descriptions.

Sep 4, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #1,146 of 1,620
EQ'd to my own preferences, there really is something unique about the GK10, and it's not just the piezos. I find myself often preferring the more exotic timbre and the formula on the mids of this set over the raw technicalities of the KZ BA10 which I received at the same time. If a v2.0 of the GK10 is released I would order a set without a 2nd thought.

Ian I see that you also have the Aladdin, which seems like the closest thing to great BA/DD tuned hybrid. How is the treble on that set compared to the Geek? I'm very tempted by that pair based on the review descriptions.

I'll give it a closer listen and get back to you. I imagine the Aladdin will be quite different to most of your current IEMs (and the GK10) going by your signature. Having said that it's such a safe recommendation as low-mid hybrids go, provided you're well informed of what to expect I can't see it being a disappointment.

Sep 4, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #1,147 of 1,620
Liked your case Ian. Here are my traveling cases. The leather one holds my M8 and two IEMs and cables. The other one is strictly IEMs and cables, cheap case from Amazon.

Attachments

• tempImageWIxQxW.png
    tempImageWIxQxW.png
    8.3 MB · Views: 0
Sep 4, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #1,148 of 1,620
Liked your case Ian. Here are my traveling cases. The leather one holds my M8 and two IEMs and cables. The other one is strictly IEMs and cables, cheap case from Amazon.

Nice! I'm very much doing the same thing. A case for my player one/two IEMs and then a cheap storage case for more bits that stays at home or can go in luggage.

Sep 7, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #1,152 of 1,620

the way GK10 can deal with these notes is unreal, zax simply can't reach these heights, depths and textures, even the recording couldn't cope with her voice, they were totally unprepared for such a heavenly performance and a few times becomes crackling.

GK10 is great, but I think you're hearing crackling from the recording and upload at 240p, not the headphones. The sound engineer didn't leave any room for crescendos with the way she's mic'd and they're clipping pretty bad when she hits high notes at volume.

The GK10's warm profile is giving this some body, but under my usual EQ profiles, I hear the distortion (crackling) on both GK10 and my CCA NRA. I gifted my ZAX to my wife so I can't try those :sweat_smile::sweat_smile: but I suspect you don't hear it because the GK10's by default are very warm with a steep treble roll-off.

cheers

Sep 7, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #1,153 of 1,620
GK10 is great, but I think you're hearing crackling from the recording and upload at 240p, not the headphones. The sound engineer didn't leave any room for crescendos with the way she's mic'd and they're clipping pretty bad when she hits high notes at volume.

The GK10's warm profile is giving this some body, but under my usual EQ profiles, I hear the distortion (crackling) on both GK10 and my CCA NRA. I gifted my ZAX to my wife so I can't try those :sweat_smile::sweat_smile: but I suspect you don't hear it because the GK10's by default are very warm with a steep treble roll-off.

cheers
yup, some crackling are in the recording and youtube streaming quality is not good, but with zax distortions are much stronger and longer, unfortunately i haven't been able to find better quality files (probably there are none, it was a small place and audience after all).

there are another couple of songs in which the differences between ZAX and GK10 are huge:

for these two i have hi res files, the crescendos in both songs are a muddy mess on zax with stock cable and much better with a good cable while gk10 handles them so gracefully that don't even seem crescendos and they do it without any loss in detail and resolution.
in this case it seems due to the holographic presentation of gk10, don't know how to explain it better.

Sep 7, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #1,154 of 1,620
yup, some crackling are in the recording and youtube streaming quality is not good, but with zax distortions are much stronger and longer, unfortunately i haven't been able to find better quality files (probably there are none, it was a small place and audience after all).

there are another couple of songs in which the differences between ZAX and GK10 are huge:

for these two i have hi res files, the crescendos in both songs are a muddy mess on zax with stock cable and much better with a good cable while gk10 handles them so gracefully that don't even seem crescendos and they do it without any loss in detail and resolution.
in this case it seems due to the holographic presentation of gk10, don't know how to explain it better.

Interesting! I'm curious, did you do the "poke" mod to your GK10?

Sep 7, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #1,155 of 1,620

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back