Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Nov 21, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #361 of 13,800
There is still confirmed USB and the defacto DSD

Larry Ho said 2 hours ago
Hi, all
Yes. Geek Pulse X still has USB input.

For 1/4’’ headphone output, let’s study it more.
But at least, there are cheap and good adapters 
that could let you still use original 1/4’’ headphone.
No worry and stay tuned.
Larry

Nov 21, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #362 of 13,800
  There is still confirmed USB and the defacto DSD

Larry Ho said 2 hours ago
Hi, all
Yes. Geek Pulse X still has USB input.

For 1/4’’ headphone output, let’s study it more.
But at least, there are cheap and good adapters 
that could let you still use original 1/4’’ headphone.
No worry and stay tuned.
Larry

Thanks for that, but they need to update their description of the Geek Pulse X to reflect the fact because USB is not mentioned as being an input.

Nov 21, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #363 of 13,800
+100

Can't agree more.....LH lab, I hope you can hear us, $140 is really a huge different for a $249 Product, it is more than 50% so to say...

This is a $500 device.  Dual mono balanced is a $700 device.  You are getting a significant discount by backing the device.  Even at full retail it is a very good deal.  What other devices even have the same feature set?  $140 to cover doubling up chips and related circuitry (plus upgrading parts of it) is a pretty low price for the upgrade.

I understand that some of you thought it would be a free upgrade, but not talking about the price of an upgrade isn't the same as saying there isn't one.  Plus, everything is in flux as they take suggestions and see if they can make it happen both from an engineering and business side.  How can you reasonably expect them to keep adding features for free?

Nov 21, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #365 of 13,800
My thoughts....

I for one at the beginning was bit sensitive.

But having to look at it after awhile, to me they we're doing their best to come up and please everybody.

At first I was already "contented". That is why with no hesitance, I backed the product.

There we're "minor" details suggested; and, some "hopes".

Some "minor" but significant details we're implemented thanks to our poll and suggestions of others.

And then the "hopes". Wishes. I know there will be trade offs but still a hope/wish:

1. Battery pack and spdif out
I can buy a 12v battery in ebay for around $25. Thus spdif would mean a better choice.
Plus, having the LPS as a purchase option. Of which will be buying.

1. Balanced and ESS9018 desktop version 
Was bit disappointed for them sticking to ES9018M since I have Geek Out.
But hoped it would be better because of better implementation. Then suggested for balanced.
As noted on the survey, the highest was for a desktop version of ES9018.
Was suggesting these before. A dual-mono ESS or similar that will kick some a##.
And behold a dual mono ES9018M with upgraded parts.  Asked why ES9018M?
LH reasoned out it sounded better with some tweaks and can be managed better (electrically).
The desktop version is a resource hog.

This is the thing that I was hoping for them to come up in the first place.
If I will need RCA and 1/4, then there are adapters. Well, we can bother them again
atsmile.gif

Right now if you we're a former backer its: 199 + 140 = 339 (add 40 international)
If not, its 299 (early bird) + 140 =  439 (add 40 international)

At these price points I still won't argue. Is it still ok when at MSRP? Well that will be THEIR problem.
Perks? Are just perks, that will not sway my decision for the main product.

To sum up did I upgrade? YOU BET!

Nov 21, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #367 of 13,800

Back                                     Front

Nov 21, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #370 of 13,800

Might be nice to go into a little more detail. What is referred to as "balanced" in the headphone world is usually (though not always) really referring to a bridged amplifier configuration. You are using 4 amplifier sections to drive 2 channels. The issue is when you connect to a common 3 wire headphone, you are then connecting the two "negative" amps together. Few amps will suffer this without damage. If there was a 5 wire connector or two 3 wire connectors (are any amps wired with either of these?) you could do it. The only other option would be to use balun transformers, but can't imagine that this would be desirable. All "balanced headphones" refers to in this respect is a headphone wired without a common return for the two channels. Nothing special about the headphones themselves. 

Nov 22, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #371 of 13,800
  Might be nice to go into a little more detail. What is referred to as "balanced" in the headphone world is usually (though not always) really referring to a bridged amplifier configuration. You are using 4 amplifier sections to drive 2 channels. The issue is when you connect to a common 3 wire headphone, you are then connecting the two "negative" amps together. Few amps will suffer this without damage. If there was a 5 wire connector or two 3 wire connectors (are any amps wired with either of these?) you could do it. The only other option would be to use balun transformers, but can't imagine that this would be desirable. All "balanced headphones" refers to in this respect is a headphone wired without a common return for the two channels. Nothing special about the headphones themselves. 

Ah, but how much of that is someone that is asking such a question going to understand? Wasn't trying to be snarky, just a simple no. 

Nov 22, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #372 of 13,800

Ah, but how much of that is someone that is asking such a question going to understand? Wasn't trying to be snarky, just a simple no. 

Understood - it's just that balanced headphones are much over-hyped IMO, and I like to present more information so people can make more informed choices.

Nov 22, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #373 of 13,800

Cheers. I got a little confused. But balanced headphones can accept unbalanced inputs though right? HD650/800 and LCD-2's etc come with standard unbalanced cables, but appear to have aftermarket balanced cables?

Nov 22, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #375 of 13,800
  Understood - it's just that balanced headphones are much over-hyped IMO, and I like to present more information so people can make more informed choices.

No one was over-hyping anything here (surprisingly).  I think balanced can definitely sound better, but it is all based on implementation.  A good design can reduce crosstalk and noise while providing more power to the headphones that need it.  It will be audibly subtle, though and the value from a $ standpoint of going balanced belongs to the individual.

More importantly, I can use my balanced cable with hefty XLR on it as a nunchuck should someone sneak up on me while I am listening to music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back