Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Jun 17, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #13,681 of 13,800
I sent in my defective unit to be "repaired" last year, was in sparse correspondence with whoever runs their FB page and they've gone dark on me for about 8 months. Literal thieves lol.
You have the SuSy Dynahi....forget about the Geek Pulse man!

Jun 17, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #13,683 of 13,800
I sent in my defective unit to be "repaired" last year, was in sparse correspondence with whoever runs their FB page and they've gone dark on me for about 8 months. Literal thieves lol.
I've wanted to send mine in for some bugs here and there, but what you just said it's exactly what I fear. Sorry to hear about that one.

Aug 15, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #13,685 of 13,800
Hello, no issue. Recently took them out from the storeroom and it was plug & play with a clean Windows 10 PC. Maybe a different USB port might help.

Hi all! With today's choices, where does the Pulse Infinity with LPS stand?

Thanks. Playing around with this on a clean install and no luck, one channel only. I kind of remember that the Pulse is a USB 2 device, only, meaning not USB 3.0. With the USB Class 2.0 drivers and Pulse, does it matter whether the USB port is 2 or 3?

Pardon my incomplete understanding.

Thanks!

Aug 15, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #13,686 of 13,800
Mine has been sitting unused for a few years now. Wish I didn’t buy it.

Aug 30, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #13,687 of 13,800

According to LH, Pulse is DSD256 ready.

Does "ready" mean anything in 2021?

Question: I have a Geek Pulse S fi. Its firmware versions are Main 2.0 and MCU 2.4.
I'm using it with the Geek Linear Power Supply (not the LPS 4) and with two of the LH yellow one-meter-length USB cables.

With this setup, does (or should) my Geek Pulse S fi currently handle DSD 256?
Thanks.

Aug 30, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #13,688 of 13,800
Does "ready" mean anything in 2021?

Question: I have a Geek Pulse S fi. Its firmware versions are Main 2.0 and MCU 2.4.
I'm using it with the Geek Linear Power Supply (not the LPS 4) and with two of the LH yellow one-meter-length USB cables.

With this setup, does (or should) my Geek Pulse S fi currently handle DSD 256?
Thanks.
Native DSD yes, but definitely not DoP.
DSD256 over DoP requires the DAC to support a PCM sample rate of 705.6kHz, but the Pulse tops out at 384kHz.

EDIT: I'm not sure it does DSD256 at all, DSD128 yes for sure, but I no longer recall if I even had any DSD256 files at the time I was using my Pulse SFi, I don't think I ever tested it. Even native DSD might very well top out at DSD128.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #13,689 of 13,800
Native DSD yes, but not DoP.
DSD256 over DoP requires the DAC to support a PCM sample rate of 705.6kHz, but the Pulse tops out at 384kHz.

EDIT: I'm not sure it does DSD256 at all, DSD128 yes for sure, but I no longer recall if I even had any DSD256 files at the time I was using my Pulse SFi, I don't think I ever tested it.

Question 2: I'm running USB Audio Player Pro on an Nvidia Shield Pro connected to a large TV. If I select, in UAPP, native DSD, the Geek Pulse S fi DAC display reads "384 kHz" (meaning it's in PCM mode ((or perhaps no mode)), not DSD).

If I select DoP in UAPP, the DAC's display says DSD 64 (or DSD 128).

So right now DSD seem to be working in DoP mode, but not in "native DSD" mode. How do I activate native DSD? Is ASIO something I should be able to install in the Shield? [Edit: I'm not entirely sure but I believe ASIO is strictly a Windows thing.]

I gather that I need the ASIO "driver" but (at the moment) I understand little of where to get it, or how to effectively get it functioning. I THINK I'd need to install it as an .apk on the Shield.

Just as an FYI, I don't use Windows and I don't use Mac. I run Ubuntu Linux 18.04 (on my desktop workstation, not my Shield).

Thanks for any tips.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #13,690 of 13,800
Question 2: I'm running USB Audio Player Pro on an Nvidia Shield Pro connected to a large TV. If I select, in UAPP, native DSD, the Geek Pulse S fi DAC display reads "384 kHz" (meaning it's in PCM mode, not DSD).

If I select DoP in UAPP, the DAC's display says DSD 64 (or DSD 128).

So right now DSD seem to be working in DoP mode, but not in "native DSD" mode. How do I activate native DSD? Is ASIO something I should be able to install in the Shield?

I gather that I need the ASIO "driver" but (at the moment) I understand little of where to get it, or how to effectively get it functioning. I THINK I'd need to install it as an .apk on the Shield. I don't do (or have_ Windows, or Mac. I run Ubuntu Linux 18.04 (on my desktop workstation, not my Shield).

Thanks for any tips.
Good question, the specs for the Nvidia Shield Pro only state up to 192kHz PCM over USB, if accurate that would limit you to DoP64 (176.4kHz), as DoP128 would require a 352.8kHz sample rate.

I don't believe you can install an ASIO driver for that DAC on anything but Windows. UAPP, like many software players, will automatically transcode to PCM when you select Native DSD in settings, and the DAC reports itself in the USB handshake as incompatible.

Because LH Labs was such a crap company with atrocious support, I'm not even sure where you'd find specific specs about its native DSD capability, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the only native DSD support was via the Windows ASIO driver.

@m-i-c-k-e-y most likely knows, he has used such an Android/Linux box with the Pulse.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #13,691 of 13,800
the specs for the Nvidia Shield Pro only state up to 192kHz PCM over USB, if accurate that would limit you to DoP64 (176.4kHz), as DoP128 would require a 352.8kHz sample rate.
Would this necessarily be true when using USB Audio Player Pro, since UAPP states it can "completely bypass" Android's audio system.

From the UAPP download page on the Google Play store:

"• Plays natively up to 32-bit/384kHz or any other rate/resolution your USB DAC supports by completely bypassing the Android audio system. Other Android players are limited to 16-bit/48kHz, even on Android 5 and higher."

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #13,693 of 13,800
UAPP is still bound by the device's hardware and firmware limitations however, so if the Shield Pro is actually limited to 192kHz as the specs state, then UAPP will not likely output anything above that. In other words, UAPP cannot use a sample rate that is unsupported by the device.
That would certainly seem to be true, but for what it's worth, my Geek Pulse S fi, playing a DSD 128 file in UAPP, does have DSD128 showing on the Pulse's display.

This would lead me to believe that UAPP might in fact somehow be bypassing the Shield's limitations, or, the "DSD128" display on the DAC may simply be a misleading error. Or that the current version of the shield has gone above and beyond a 192kHz sampling rate, though I haven't seen anything that would indicate such.

Aug 31, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #13,695 of 13,800
Just remember that us Vi DAC people have a bigger paper weight than the Pulse people. Headphone out on mine went out a long long time ago and it sends noise through the outputs also. LH doesn't repair, so it's a paper weight until I open it up and see what's going on in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back