Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Nov 22, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #12,646 of 13,800
By the time I get a response from my ticket I'm sure it'll be well past it's warranty.

I am receptive to the notion that my DAC might be out of warranty. It could have been out of warranty when I created my ticket 95 days ago, or the warranty may have expired during the time I have been waiting for a response. I would have paid to have it fixed if that was the case. I really did want to keep using it. At this point all hope is lost for me. I've still received no response from this ticket and the input from someone on Head-Fi who claims to represent LH Labs has been ineffective. At the very least an acknowledgement that the ticket was received and action was considered is a requirement. The automated email that the ticket was entered into the software system is not a valid solution here.

I worked as an Application Engineer for a company that sold Chinese technology in the USA for 5 years. This is a glorified title that means technical support. The systems we sold did what they were intended to do, but initial quality was poor and long-term reliability was questionable. The systems would often break within a year or two after the 3 or 5 warranty expired in addition to several early life failures. We had the common courtesy to remain in contact with our customers when they reached out to us in need of support. If the product was out of warranty we still had an obligation to work with the customer to determine if they need to purchase parts or service in the end. LH Lab's policy of not responding to a customer's request for support has no place in the commercial market place.

I implore LH Labs and their employees to consider how shameful their operation is, and recognize that their management is insufficient and untrustworthy. I do not know which one holds the blame, but I do know I will never again support a company that has ties to Larry Ho or Gavin Fish. They are incapable of managing a company and this thread is a documentary that proves that point. I'm saddened by this realization because I believed in what Larry Ho was doing and his engineering was inspiring. His designs were exceptional. It is an absolute shame that the endeavor of LH Labs was such a failure.

Don't panic; I'm working on something right now with Larry. When we get it sorted out, I'll let you know.

Nov 22, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #12,647 of 13,800
Heh it’s ok. My bedroom is an audio gear warehouse with things coming in and going out. Just got a new dac and amp and I’m paying to have the dac modded and I have another dac and an amp kit that should ship end of December! And I quit the audio hobby earlier this year :p

Nov 22, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #12,648 of 13,800
"you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave..."

Nov 23, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #12,649 of 13,800
Update from LH Labs Nov 23:

1. We have the factory who is building Da Vinci boards working on the Pulse boards. The same quality Da Vinci owners are used to will come directly installed in your Pulse.

2. The orders have been sent to the factory. We are just waiting on the production schedule to open up. We have the components all gathered and ready to go at the factory. They will begin production right after after the Da Vinci boards are done (which are next in line).

3. Literally everything else involved in the chassis/packaging/shipping/etc. is ready to go. There are no expected delays. We just need the boards.

We'll update more when it's available. Gobble gobble!

Update from LH Labs Apr 4:
(1) The remaining Infinity version of Pulse DAC PCB Assembly is almost done. Sorry that it is 2 weeks late than our original schedule. But we are seeing it coming soon. And we will start the full speed test

(2) All chassis and other components are the double check in house. So after PCBA, we will assemble the chassis and rest of the stuff.

It looks like LH Labs has to create a new PCB Board again.
What happened to Pulse PCB Board Assembly that was almost done Apr 4?
Have they had another PCB Board production that has failed?

It looks like we have to wait a long time before we get our Pulse Infinity DAC.
For those who can't wait, a new Pulse Infinity DAC only costs $ 617.80 on Amazon.

pulse.png

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #12,650 of 13,800
I’ll sell you mine for $475 and throw in a Blue for an additional $75 all including PayPal and shipping.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #12,652 of 13,800
I understand you can buy a Vi Dac from them and get it in a few weeks, crazy making!

Nov 23, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #12,653 of 13,800
It looks like LH Labs has to create a new PCB Board again.
What happened to Pulse PCB Board Assembly that was almost done Apr 4?
Have they had another PCB Board production that has failed?]

Direct from Larry:
"On that batch. It has PCBA soldering problem in first 5 pilot run board after that batch. So we tell them to stop. That is before this Taiwan PCBA vendor. BGA is the hard point of Pulse board. We must miss one campaign update there in May."

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #12,657 of 13,800
The April batch failed and then LH never informed the backers about the failure. The failure issue is now resolved.
Typical.

To be clear, not informing the backers wasn't a simple case of forgetting to send an update when the production issues were discovered - questions were repeatedly raised here and elsewhere as to the status of the boards.

Three things are obvious
- LHLabs' default solution to any problem is to go into hiding
- LHLabs feels no need to apologise either for failure to communicate or the ridiculous length of time this campaign is taking
- LHLabs are really, truly, astoundingly terrible at finding PCB vendors? I mean... really... how many batches have failed? (assuming that we're being told the truth about this)

Nov 24, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #12,660 of 13,800
Pulse Infinity has now become even cheaper on Amazon.
A new Pulse Infinity costs now just $ 587.

How much have we paid for Pulse Infinity with all the updates?

Geek Pulse xfi
New Geek Force members, if you missed the previous campaign. Here is your chance to get the best desktop DAC. Geek Pulse X (fully balanced) + Femto Clock + Best internal Amp upgrades. International backers, please add $40 for shipping.
Total
$656 USD
THD Performance Upgrade Pkg
With this upgrade, we’ll fine tune your Geek Pulse Xfi with hand-matched components and precision bias control, which will give your Geek Pulse Xfi less than half the THD (distortion) of the standard Geek Pulse Xfi. This perk is only available on Geek Pulse Xfi. If you have a Geek Pulse model other than Xfi, you’ll need to upgrade first. Please see the “Movin’ On Up” perk for details on how to upgrade. We’re limiting this perk to 100 due to the overhead in hand optimizing each unit.
Total
$168 USD
Geek Pulse Xfi Naked Resistors
Replace four of Geek Pulse Xfi’s current to voltage resistors with TX2725 discrete “naked” resistors. These bad little mamma-jamma's are known by audiophiles to provide the most transparent sound due to the fact that they're completely non-inductive. Each pair will be hand matched and attached to the board using WBT Silver solder.
Total
$129 USD
Pulse X∞ 2015 ESS DAC Upgrade
If you’ve selected a Geek Pulse X∞, we’re offering you a chance to upgrade your DAC chip from the ESS Sabre 9018M to the 9018AQ2M, which is brand new for 2015! If we can sell more than 95% of the quantity that’s available by the end of the day on Friday, Feb 13, then we’ll make a new PCB so it can accommodate the new chips. If we don’t sell out, then we’ll continue with the previous chip and will donate the money to the Sacramento Youth Symphony. :)
Total
$22 USD
Total $975

Here's what I paid. What a sad joke. Paid more for the Geek Pulse xfi then Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back